mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Beloved commuter bike stolen last night (CU Boulder area)

(the second picture is outdated: new griptape and took off the clips)

My great bike was stolen around 18th and Arapahoe. I rode it everyday at least 2 miles to school and to get groceries. I sold my car because I didn't need one with my awesome bike. I got a great deal on it on craigslist about a year ago (from a guy who also loved this bike -- now some jerk has it). I paid 200$ for it. I won't be able to afford a new bike until summer

It was stolen last night and I didn't hear because of the wind. Normally I bring it inside at night, but I'm working on a poster for a presentation and I needed the space where my bike normally is. There was nothing left behind, but there was a deep divot in the gravel where the front tire was -- obviously they struggled cutting the thick cable lock.

Please let me know if you see it

-Trek 5400 (carbon frame, Al fork)
    -Bullhorn handlebars w/ yellow griptape
    -Single speed w/ chopped Shimano XT derailleur
    -Rear bike rack with yellow "reading is sexy" bumpersticker
    -Bike "honk honk" horn
    -Front and rear lights (manufacturer: PlanetBike)
    -It had a very nice Mavic front hub where the spokes went straight out instead of normally where they are tangential to the hub -- I was told this hub was worth more than the rest of the bike.

I'm going to file a police report -- how much was my bike worth?

Email or call if you find it anywhere please!
    streblo@gmail.com

lucky enough
    You might check Craig's List for some meathead posting the bike for sale. I'd say you got a great deal when you bought it - carbon fiber frame for $200.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    That sucks man. I can't believe people are such *******s. It almost defeats the purpose of having bike locks when every jackass runs around with cable cutters. I'm completely paranoid with my bikes. Even when I go in some place for 5 minutes I try to get it in plain view from the windows and can't keep my eyes from wandering to it frequently. I even take my bike rack off my car whenever I go for a ride on one of the trails because I'm afraid it will be gone when I get back. It's a shame it has to be like that. It's a pain in the ass, but you can never be too careful. The police probably won't be able to do anything. Sorry bout your luck, hopefully you'll get it back.

Fearing the Reaper
    They got mine a few months ago. Nothing special, but it served a purpose: 80's Raleigh 'rootbeer' 1X1. Chopped bullhorns. Black tape, old roadie brakes facing forward. Seat had a yellow maple leaf on it.

I'll keep my eye out for yours. Looks pretty distinct. Appreciate the same.

Old, stale, negative
    Will do on the lookout, that just irks the **** out of me. Mine is very important to me and would mean so much less to anyone else. Sorry about your loss.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's a big bummer. If you volunteer with Community Cycles in Boulder, you can earn yourself a no $ bike--just the time you put in helping out over there.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

Members who have read this thread: 0