Thread: azonic outlaws

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

azonic outlaws

any opinions about these wheels for dh? i can't afford mavics, so i like the price, but do they hold up??????????????????

what nice teeth you have
    great wheels

mtbr member
    Great durability. Heavy as hell.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I've been waiting 6 months for a warranty replacement. The hubs are cheap and really heavy.

Living the High Life
    I had a set as back up last race season and only used them one day...interested? Not intending to spam, I just have 3 sets of DH wheels right now and need to get rid of one.

mtbr member
    The hubs suck....took for ever to get a warranty and then the hub blew up again in 6 weeks. The price is good, but you get what you pay for....I would suggest getting a high end hub and building a wheel. More expensive yes, but better than getting new wheels every year, which I have been doing. Chris King here I come....hopefully I will be set for a while.

mtbr member
    Haven't tried them myself yet, but there are a ton of people in the reviews section that swear by these wheels apparently, so they can't be all that bad. I've heard they're pretty bombproof. They are a bit on the heavy side, but I wouldn't say "heavy as hell." I suppose it depends on what you're comparing them to and what your intended uses are. Plus they do convert from QR to through axle.

Cheap doesn't always mean bad quality, and expensive doesn't always mean high quality either. Sometimes you have to look past the branding.

ride
    Traditional 3 pawl system with poor tolerances = a rear hub that is prone to failure. I would seek out other options, despite their inexpense.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Haven't tried them myself yet, but there are a ton of people in the reviews section that swear by these wheels apparently, so they can't be all that bad. I've heard they're pretty bombproof. They are a bit on the heavy side, but I wouldn't say "heavy as hell." I suppose it depends on what you're comparing them to and what your intended uses are. Plus they do convert from QR to through axle.

Cheap doesn't always mean bad quality, and expensive doesn't always mean high quality either. Sometimes you have to look past the branding.
    The rims are Alex Supra D, which are really good rims, the pinned version is cheap too.

The hubs suck and are very heavy. A set of Hope Pro IIs will cut one lb off the weight.

The people who don't have issues with these wheels don't pedal If you plan on pedaling, look into something else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    The rims are Alex Supra D, which are really good rims, the pinned version is cheap too.

The hubs suck and are very heavy. A set of Hope Pro IIs will cut one lb off the weight.

The people who don't have issues with these wheels don't pedal If you plan on pedaling, look into something else.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 11-28-2008 at 10:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    How about these? Would they stand up to DH? The bonus is you can actually get a tire off and one with these Mavic 521 rims (I have a pair of these rims laced up to XTR hubs) as opposed to the Supra D.

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=147

And I had a Performance Forte wheelset for awhile which is essentially an Outlaw wheelset. I found out that these are the hubs:

http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/en...php?c1=3&c2=14
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Living the High Life
    One thing you guys are all forgetting, Outlaws are cheap! My new wheels are Hope Pro II with Mavic 823s. My old wheels are Sunringle' ADDs (now my backups). Both much more expensive than Outlaws.

For FR/DH wheels less than $300 its Outlaws or Transition.

ride
    Good one, Ithnu. I've sold several sets of the Transition wheels with nary a complaint. Good stuff.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

..ouch
    They work great as DH wheels. Mine have survived a season of cased jumps, flat landings and rock gardens quite well.. and if you do blow one up you won't feel bad b/c they are dirt cheap.

As everyone else mentioned already, weight and crappy engagement make them suck as trail wheels. I rode them once on a 18 mile ride b/c I was too lazy to change out wheelsets, and will _never_ do that again.

mtbr member
    I have two sets since 2006 and they're still going. No hub problems (knock on wood) and only minor maintenance done for keeping them true. One set is on my DH race bike another on my Nomad. I ride pretty hard. They have 36 holes/spokes and pretty much weigh the same as 32 hole/spoke Mavic DeeMax.

DeeMax - 2450
    Outllaws - 2446

Do a search in the DH/FR forum. Seems like these wheels come up every so often. They also come with convertable hubs, which is handy if you want to swap wheels to a different bike with smaller or bigger hub axels.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Members who have read this thread: 0