Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33

    Asking for advice for Denver

    Next week I will be in Denver all day. I am not from the area. Can anyone help me with a few questions please? The plan is to rent a mountain bike for the day with the hope I can find some trails within biking distance of downtown. I was going to rent the the bike from this place: 'bicycledr.com' Can anyone give me some locations nearby that might be somewhat interesting? I know I won't find any real single track in the city, but I figured I would ask. I will also have access to a vehicle so I could drive 30-40 minutes to the nearest trail system. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a beginner, have been mountain biking VT single track for only a season. I love it and would love to get a ride in while in the Denver area. Things are drying out quickly for us in VT at the lower elevations so I thought I might get a ride in. Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    Just go to Golden Bike Shop in Golden rent a bike there and ride right from the shop (they can give you info on trails), return said bike, head over to Golden City Brewery and enjoy a beer outside.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Thanks man - exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Appreciate it.

  4. #4
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    Are you from a high altitude? The climbs here range from 20-60 minutes too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    No - not from high altitude... I live at 2000' in VT. I am fine with hour long climbs though. Any thoughts on Buffalo Creek? Place looks pretty cool and it looks like it should be free of ice/snow by next Wed.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    My biggest problem right now is getting a bike early enough in the morning to ride by 8 or 9 AM. Most shops open at 10. I don't arrive till late Wednesday night.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    Buffalo Creek is great if you have the day to ride; would be a great option. Map here:

    Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol | Maps Page

  8. #8
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Toobs View Post
    My biggest problem right now is getting a bike early enough in the morning to ride by 8 or 9 AM. Most shops open at 10. I don't arrive till late Wednesday night.
    Contact a few of the shops the folks around here mention. You'd be suprised how helpful some of them can be.

    Chimney Gulch in Golden will be dry most of the way up, but it is a lung buster. 2,000 vert I think but you can always do 1/2 or something. Mt Falcon should be mostly dry, not as bad as Chimney but it is still 1,400'. Green Mountain is dry and only 800' with multiple loop options. But it's not the most interesting terrain, mostly dirt single track with some loose rocks once in a while. Buff Creek would be a good choice, 45 minute drive though.

    Check the "Front Range Trail Conditions" sticky thread for better updates on conditions. And here, Open Space Parks & Maps - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO for trail locaitons and details. Green Mountain isn't a Jefferson County park, it's the town of Lakewood. But it's easy to find, but mound near C470.

  9. #9
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,164
    Don't get caught up in the whole altitude thing. My buddy Luis just moved here from Florida and is kicking our junk regularly up the climbs from day 1. My friend Cissy came out here from South Carolina, kicked our butts on a big ol death march in Vail and smiled the whole time while others in the group were whining.

    Golden Bike Shop rocks. Get your bike there, get your advise there. If your relatively new to the sport, don't discount Green Mtn. Its a fun, rip roaring hill that'll work you and give you some fun descents but not quite as hard of a climb as say Falcon or Chimney. If you got the time, I second the advise above and say go to Buff Creek. Miles of Buff in Flow.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Hey guys - thanks so much. These replies have been more than helpful! I think my destination will be Golden Bike Shop - I'll try to be there at 10AM when they open and I bet those guys can point me towards a decent ride. I'm looking at 10 miles max since I will have to be back in Denver by say mid-afternoon. I also was just looking over all the great trail reviews on here. Pretty decent interface for searching trails and reading others' experiences.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BobGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Just go to Golden Bike Shop in Golden rent a bike there and ride right from the shop (they can give you info on trails), return said bike, head over to Golden City Brewery and enjoy a beer outside.
    This ^^^^, from GBS, cross Washington and Ford and head up the Tucker Gultch MUP to the N. Table Mtn trailhead (10-15 minutes ride or so), grind up the fire road and take the N. Table Loop trail counterclockwise for an hour and a half of fun and then coming screaming down the MUP back to GBS, have said refreshment at GCB and head to your afternoon festivities.

    If your picking up the bike at 10, you wouldn't get to Buff Creek before 11-11:30 or later and that wouldn't leave you much time for riding before you would have to start heading back.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Wow thanks - that is sound advice Bob... I am going to print this out and use it as my planned route. You guys are great. Locals ALWAYS know best!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Toobs View Post
    Locals ALWAYS know best!

    R U SUR BOWT DAT?


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Toobs View Post
    Hey guys - thanks so much. These replies have been more than helpful! I think my destination will be Golden Bike Shop - I'll try to be there at 10AM when they open and I bet those guys can point me towards a decent ride. I'm looking at 10 miles max since I will have to be back in Denver by say mid-afternoon. I also was just looking over all the great trail reviews on here. Pretty decent interface for searching trails and reading others' experiences.
    Don't discount drive times when planning your part-day rides. Buff Creek will eat up about 2 hours. Or, you can just ride right to Chimney Gulch et al from the shop. Your choice.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    14
    A lot of great info in this thread. I too will be visiting Denver at the end of April and would like to get a day of riding in if I can (going to bribe the girlfriend with a day at the spa while I go out and ride :P ). I was already looking at heading to the Golden area but this definetely makes is an easier decision. Thanks everyone for the info.

  16. #16
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Don't *underestimate* the altitude either. It may just kick your a$$. At least be prepared for the possibility. Sure some of us are gifted in that we aren't that phased by 13K foot altitudes... but a lot of people are hit by our higher elevations.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33

    Thanks!

    All looks good for the planned trip! I rented a DS Niner from GBS and they will have it ready for me at 10 on Thursday! The weather looks awesome. Can't thank you guys enough for the advice.

    Coming from out east I am a little nervous about how technical the trails will be, as everything here is pretty flowy. I am going to do what was suggested above:

    "Cross Washington and Ford and head up the Tucker Gultch MUP to the N. Table Mtn trailhead (10-15 minutes ride or so), grind up the fire road and take the N. Table Loop trail counterclockwise for an hour and a half of fun and then coming screaming down the MUP back to GBS, have said refreshment at GCB and head to your afternoon festivities."

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Toobs View Post
    All looks good for the planned trip! I rented a DS Niner from GBS and they will have it ready for me at 10 on Thursday! The weather looks awesome. Can't thank you guys enough for the advice.

    Coming from out east I am a little nervous about how technical the trails will be, as everything here is pretty flowy. I am going to do what was suggested above:

    "Cross Washington and Ford and head up the Tucker Gultch MUP to the N. Table Mtn trailhead (10-15 minutes ride or so), grind up the fire road and take the N. Table Loop trail counterclockwise for an hour and a half of fun and then coming screaming down the MUP back to GBS, have said refreshment at GCB and head to your afternoon festivities."
    You're gonna love the "grind up the fire road". It's flowy uphill! Once you're on top its more a level tour. Great 360 degrees view from up there. And deer!
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BobGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    435
    How'd it go?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Thursday I rode Chimney Gulch on a rented Niner Jet from GBS. Had a great time. The weather was dry and warm. Here is the GPS track: Chimney Gulch | Mountain biking Workout | Endomondo

    I went back to GBS yesterday and rented some handmade bike (he said "Lynz" built it? A guy in CO who builds bikes in his barn). I rode White ranch and did the Rawhide trail. It was definitely a challenging ride.

    Thanks a bunch for the tips. I am back in VT now after flying out on the redeye and driving 3.5 hours to VT (straight to work). I'm beat but hope to post some pics sometime this weekend.

    edit: wrong GPS track (fixed)

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    97
    Glad to hear you had a great trip. GBS is a great shop.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slcdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,180
    Actual useful info for an out of towner? You feeling ok??

    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Don't *underestimate* the altitude either. It may just kick your a$$. At least be prepared for the possibility. Sure some of us are gifted in that we aren't that phased by 13K foot altitudes... but a lot of people are hit by our higher elevations.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

  23. #23
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Actual useful info for an out of towner? You feeling ok??
    No no no. You've totally misinterpreted my post. I was being an argumentative a$$.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slcdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,180
    Ah....that makes more sense.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.