Anyone tried the Bontrager xr4- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248

    Anyone tried the Bontrager xr4

    Not looking to start an entire thread on good Front Range tires. Iím about to pick up my first 29er after decades of running 26Ē and for the past 6 years 27.5. On my current bike Iím running a Specialized Butcher in 2.3 up front with usually a very xc sided rear like a fast trac, Ikon, Rekon. I have tried the 2.6 thing and donít love it. Iím a light weight at 155 ready to ride. Looking for a sub 800 gram tire for the front that hooks up and have found some decent stuff on the XR4 but I was hoping to get feedback from people that have ridden on all the usual front range trails. Any input would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,134
    If your trails are dry and rocky, the XR4 shouldn't cause you to many issues.

    If trails are not as mentioned above, I hope you have a good Orthodontist!

    🤕

    Sent from MTBR.apk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    If your trails are dry and rocky, the XR4 shouldn't cause you to many issues.

    If trails are not as mentioned above, I hope you have a good Orthodontist!

    🤕

    Sent from MTBR.apk
    Gotcha! And had a good chuckle as well. Very much so dry and rocky with loose over hard pack. I stay off when they are wet. Thanks for your input!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,736
    I've been using XR4s for a couple of years. I really like them for technical stuff and climbing...general trail riding. They're light weight and soft. On all the loose decomposed granite flow trails and for more raucous descents, I might look for something with more pronounced side knobs for the front and maybe a tougher carcass (DHFish?). That said, for my riding, I'd happily stick with XR4s.
    What, me worry?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I've been using XR4s for a couple of years. I really like them for technical stuff and climbing...general trail riding. They're light weight and soft. On all the loose decomposed granite flow trails and for more raucous descents, I might look for something with more pronounced side knobs for the front and maybe a tougher carcass (DHFish?). That said, for my riding, I'd happily stick with XR4s.
    Really appreciate the input. I am building up a new bike and will have the stock aluminum wheels set up with a meaty front like some type of minion etc. Thank you for the information!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,510
    I've put about 600 miles on a set of XR4's on my Yeti SB130. I ran a 2.6" front and 2.4" rear and the tires held up really well on a variety of terrain. NWA- Bentonville, Sedona, Moab, St. George/Hurricane, Fruita/GJ , Aspen-Snowmass and Frontrange- Long Horn.

    I will say I'm easy on tires as I tend to pick clean lines and I feel the XR4 has good cornering grip if you trust your technique and lean the bike over....no real sketchy transition zone between knobs. The tires roll really fast and for the weight of the tire and casing I feel it's a really good dry conditions tire for loose over hard and kitty litter.

    The real weakness of the tire is anything wet and also rock slab climbs the tires don't seem to get the best traction but then again every tire is a compromise. I think you'll like the tire if you mount it up and give yourself a couple rides to trust it's grip.

    I highly recommend the 2.6" up front and I was happy with the 2.4" for the rear. They ran true to sizing for me on my We Are One 30mm rims. Held air really well over weeks at a time and also were easy to mount up and set ups tubeless.

    Currently I've just mounted up Maxxis Dissector 2.6" - 2.4" to try out and see how they compare. But already I've added an additional 200 grams for this setup.

    Hope this helps with your decision.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Devinci Spartan
    20' Enduro 29
    20' Epic HT

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I've put about 600 miles on a set of XR4's on my Yeti SB130. I ran a 2.6" front and 2.4" rear and the tires held up really well on a variety of terrain. NWA- Bentonville, Sedona, Moab, St. George/Hurricane, Fruita/GJ , Aspen-Snowmass and Frontrange- Long Horn.

    I will say I'm easy on tires as I tend to pick clean lines and I feel the XR4 has good cornering grip if you trust your technique and lean the bike over....no real sketchy transition zone between knobs. The tires roll really fast and for the weight of the tire and casing I feel it's a really good dry conditions tire for loose over hard and kitty litter.

    The real weakness of the tire is anything wet and also rock slab climbs the tires don't seem to get the best traction but then again every tire is a compromise. I think you'll like the tire if you mount it up and give yourself a couple rides to trust it's grip.

    I highly recommend the 2.6" up front and I was happy with the 2.4" for the rear. They ran true to sizing for me on my We Are One 30mm rims. Held air really well over weeks at a time and also were easy to mount up and set ups tubeless.

    Currently I've just mounted up Maxxis Dissector 2.6" - 2.4" to try out and see how they compare. But already I've added an additional 200 grams for this setup.

    Hope this helps with your decision.
    Very thorough response and breakdown on the xr4. It seems like it may be a good fit as I have had good luck with lighter weight tires(will proceed to get massive sidewall cuts on my next 5 rides now that I have opened my big mouth). Itís funny that you bring up the dissector as I have one of those on the way to run on the front to start with. I went with a 2.4. They look like they may roll well but still hook up in the corners but time will tell. Not a massively heavy tire but also not the weight Iím looking to run in my lighter set of wheels. Thanks for the help!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    161
    Good orthodontist?? I ride the XR4 in the PNW and it works great. I can use it for Moab one week and hit the rainy trails in WA the next and it hooks up well.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,736
    ...yeah. I've ridden them in the wet quite a bit on the east coast and think they do well on slippery rocks and roots. Loose decomposed granite flow trails is their weakest point. They still work, but just not as well as tires with a more squared off tread (taller side knobs).
    What, me worry?

  10. #10
    WTF is downcountry?
    Reputation: Tickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    624
    Been on the XR4's myself front/rear for a couple years, great tires and they run about 400g's lighter than DHF/Aggressor or DHR combo. I switch back and forth and can really tell a diff but not the same traction of the Maxxis tires obviously. When it gets dry/loose during the summer I usually switch to at least the DHF up front, I need to wear out a DHF first but want to try the 2.6 XR4 up front next.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    600
    on 2.4 xr4s front and rear for past few years exclusively. they replaced dhr2 2.4/2.3 combo i was ruining originally. i do like xr4s a lot. good volume, traction, roll great, light for the size. i run them on ripley v4 on 40id rims.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow View Post
    Good orthodontist?? I ride the XR4 in the PNW and it works great. I can use it for Moab one week and hit the rainy trails in WA the next and it hooks up well.
    Appreciate the info. Its interesting how different people's experience can be on the same tire.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ...yeah. I've ridden them in the wet quite a bit on the east coast and think they do well on slippery rocks and roots. Loose decomposed granite flow trails is their weakest point. They still work, but just not as well as tires with a more squared off tread (taller side knobs).
    Good to know. I ride a fair amount of trails that would fit into that very category.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Been on the XR4's myself front/rear for a couple years, great tires and they run about 400g's lighter than DHF/Aggressor or DHR combo. I switch back and forth and can really tell a diff but not the same traction of the Maxxis tires obviously. When it gets dry/loose during the summer I usually switch to at least the DHF up front, I need to wear out a DHF first but want to try the 2.6 XR4 up front next.
    Yeah I've tried a 2.6 rekon on a 27.5 up front and it felt slow and draggy to me without the benefit of a nice square side lug like a DHF to lay into. I think I'm going to stick to 2.4's as a maximum for now. Thanks for the input.

    Good info.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    on 2.4 xr4s front and rear for past few years exclusively. they replaced dhr2 2.4/2.3 combo i was ruining originally. i do like xr4s a lot. good volume, traction, roll great, light for the size. i run them on ripley v4 on 40id rims.
    This is the perfect comment. This is for a Ripley v4. I will be rolling on 30id rims but a 2.4 will be fine on those. I will give these a shot. Thank you!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    Appreciate the info. Its interesting how different people's experience can be on the same tire.


    Good to know. I ride a fair amount of trails that would fit into that very category.



    Yeah I've tried a 2.6 rekon on a 27.5 up front and it felt slow and draggy to me without the benefit of a nice square side lug like a DHF to lay into. I think I'm going to stick to 2.4's as a maximum for now. Thanks for the input.

    Good info.


    This is the perfect comment. This is for a Ripley v4. I will be rolling on 30id rims but a 2.4 will be fine on those. I will give these a shot. Thank you!
    sorry, meant to say 30id, my finger must have slipped. you will have blast on new ripley. dont go any bigger than 2.5, 2.4 feels ideal

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,048
    For my riding style, I have found nothing (in the past 10-12 years) that hooks up as well as the Minion DHF when leaned over. I like several diff rear tires but I always go back to the Minion DHFs on the front now. That squared profile with taller side knobs, is just fantastic. The rounder profiles seem to wash out easier, especially at places like Buffalo Creek. I have not tried the XR4 though.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    For my riding style, I have found nothing (in the past 10-12 years) that hooks up as well as the Minion DHF when leaned over. I like several diff rear tires but I always go back to the Minion DHFs on the front now. That squared profile with taller side knobs, is just fantastic. The rounder profiles seem to wash out easier, especially at places like Buffalo Creek. I have not tried the XR4 though.
    I hear you on that. There are times when throwing a bike with reckless abandon into a turn and ripping fully leaned over is exactly what I am after. However I also enjoy running a faster rolling tread that may wash out but it does so with some level of warning and not suddenly/unexpectedly. The older I get the less I want to end up on the ground. I will have two wheel sets for the bike and will have one going as light weight fast rolling and the stock wheel set running heavy casing monsters that I can hammer. Thanks for the input!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    ...The rounder profiles seem to wash out easier, especially at places like Buffalo Creek. I have not tried the XR4 though.
    Totally. That's what I'm saying about the XR4 (which I'm riding now). They have a nice round profile which is great in most situations, but loose sandy single track is not their forte.
    What, me worry?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Totally. That's what I'm saying about the XR4 (which I'm riding now). They have a nice round profile which is great in most situations, but loose sandy single track is not their forte.
    I appreciate that. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I am in for. I have ridden Ikon's, Rekons and event the old hutchinson Python front and rear at buff creek. A little two wheeled drift into a banked turn will certainly get the blood pumping!

  18. #18
    Ride Everything
    Reputation: GRAVELBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,886
    I run the 29 x 3.0 XR4 on the front of my rigid 29er. Better traction than WTB's Ranger (29 x 3.0), but can still be a little sketchy when cornering on kitty litter dirt/gravel. Really wish Trek/Bontrager would offer the XR4 in 29 x 2.8.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    I run the 29 x 3.0 XR4 on the front of my rigid 29er. Better traction than WTB's Ranger (29 x 3.0), but can still be a little sketchy when cornering on kitty litter dirt/gravel. Really wish Trek/Bontrager would offer the XR4 in 29 x 2.8.
    I appreciate the info, Thank you!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,724
    I generally have the worst luck with Bontrager tires, probably due to their lighter weight = thinner sidewalls. I'm 200+ but the XR3 I tried on my Primer lasted me 3 rides and I then tried a 2.6 front XR4 and 2.4 rear XR4 on my new Ripmo. We promptly left on a trip thru the PNW and sure enough, the 2.4 was toast on day 3, cut sidewall in Bend of all places. On the front, it was actually the 2.6 I've like the most as I'm generally not a fan. FWIW, I was also willing to try the XR4's to save weight but it didn't last. I bought a new Aggressor in Bend and still have it today, 10 months later.

    Like many others, I like a meatier tire up front. I haven't had a Butcher in a while but really liked it. I also love the Magic Mary but the Maxxis DHF 2.5 is the tire that has never let me down in any condition and I keep coming back to it. I'm building up my Ripley on Thursday and I', going to start with the Dissector 2.4 on the back. I have one on the HD5 and it's definitely not going to be the longest lasting tire but it's been a great tire overall.
    Carpe Diem!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I generally have the worst luck with Bontrager tires, probably due to their lighter weight = thinner sidewalls. I'm 200+ but the XR3 I tried on my Primer lasted me 3 rides and I then tried a 2.6 front XR4 and 2.4 rear XR4 on my new Ripmo. We promptly left on a trip thru the PNW and sure enough, the 2.4 was toast on day 3, cut sidewall in Bend of all places. On the front, it was actually the 2.6 I've like the most as I'm generally not a fan. FWIW, I was also willing to try the XR4's to save weight but it didn't last. I bought a new Aggressor in Bend and still have it today, 10 months later.

    Like many others, I like a meatier tire up front. I haven't had a Butcher in a while but really liked it. I also love the Magic Mary but the Maxxis DHF 2.5 is the tire that has never let me down in any condition and I keep coming back to it. I'm building up my Ripley on Thursday and I', going to start with the Dissector 2.4 on the back. I have one on the HD5 and it's definitely not going to be the longest lasting tire but it's been a great tire overall.
    Good insight. The Butcher has been my go to front tire for a while now and I do love it. I have had fantastic luck with the older non ďgridĒ casing. I wish they still sold it that way I would just pick one up. It saves quite a bit of weight over the grid casing and is durable enough for me at 155lbs.

    Interestingly I just finished up my Ripley V4 build. Itís an XL and I put a 2.4 Dissector up front and a 2.4 Reckon out back. Iím really pleased with how quickly the Dissector rolls. I was a little concerned with the cornering grip but once on I got the pressure dialed in Ive been impressed with how well it hooks up on loose over hard pack. Iím probably going to stick with this combo for a bit. My thought is to switch the Dissector out back on my aluminum wheels and run some form of minion up front. Iím looking at the lighter weight rubber for my second wheelset that will be here this week. Thanks for the info on the xr4.

Similar Threads

  1. Bontrager XR4 2.4/29 or XR4 2.6 rear?
    By morrison1 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-19-2019, 10:32 AM
  2. Bontrager XR3 vs XR4's 2.4 x 29 rear w/ 2.6 XR4's front?
    By morrison1 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2019, 03:08 PM
  3. Bontrager Tires - XR4 Expert vs XR4 Team Issue
    By V8Interceptor in forum Trek
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2015, 04:12 AM
  4. Bontrager XR4 Comp vs. XR4 Team Issue vs. ???
    By bluntrager in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 06:02 AM
  5. DT Swiss XR4.2D vs. XR4.1D
    By emejay in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 73

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.