mtbr member

Anyone know how the new Trek & Peloton stores are doing in Loveland/FC?

The Trek store is in Loveland and the new Peloton store is in Fort Collins. I've only been in a few times but haven't seen many other customers. Looks like they have a lot of money on the ropes with very little cash coming in to me? Anyone have any insight? Hopefully they'll survive.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dieing!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-Rode
    The Trek store is in Loveland and the new Peloton store is in Fort Collins. I've only been in a few times but haven't seen many other customers. Looks like they have a lot of money on the ropes with very little cash coming in to me? Anyone have any insight? Hopefully they'll survive.
    I was working at the trek store up till the bottom fell out of the economy. They have had to lay off there one full time sales person. And cut back the part timers to one day or nothing. The store is in trouble right now and it needs to make some money. The store manager has even been changed. The stores biggest problem is there is little to no costumer involvement in what's going on. Some times I think that the management doesn't understand how important it is to really involve the customer in the culture of the store. The 2 things you can do to help is come in and spend a little money and just ask about rides. There aren't any group rides right now but maybe if you ask for them then they will get something going. I think the other thing is that the store doesn't really have the best product so don't be afraid to ask for things you would like to see in the store. People that work there have tried to make the product offered better but the only way they can know what you want is of you tell them. I have herd from lots of people around the area that the store just doesn't have any thing or that its not cool place. I still really like working there and the guys are cool so come on and help make it a better store.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    till the bottom fell out of the economy.
    You're on the spot there. Those 2 stores aren't the only ones affected by the economic downturn. I would guess that its hurting all bike shops one way or another, locally and nationally. When things get tight, bikes (ie luxury items) are one of the first things to go.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    The 2 things you can do to help is come in and spend a little money and just ask about rides.
    There are a lot of bike shops I'd rather support than a Trek store.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Had friends who visited both of these places independent of each other before I got there myself, and the first, if not only, word out of their mouths was "expensive."

I've since gone a couple of times, and found the Trek store workers to be completely self-absorbed with just BS'ing among themselves, and while the Specialized/Peloton concept store people are great - Dustin, Scott, and the blond girl - their prices are actually higher than Specialized's MSRP on many items.

Whatever the economy is doing, whether real or gloom-doomed by the media, it's not like nobody's buying bikes anywhere, so my 2-cents for these stores is, what are you guys doing to drive traffic into your stores and, once shoppers are in, to close their purchases?
    Last edited by Bends But Doesn't Break; 12-05-2008 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    You're on the spot there. Those 2 stores aren't the only ones affected by the economic downturn. I would guess that its hurting all bike shops one way or another, locally and nationally. When things get tight, bikes (ie luxury items) are one of the first things to go.
    Yep, I work for a company offering an expensive luxury product (not bikes). We sell to specialty shops and retailers. Sell through in the shops has not been good, therefore they aren't making follow-up orders. The bottom hasn't fallen out yet, but I'm wondering how long we'll be able to hold out.

Can't say I'll be that sad if a Trek Store goes out of business. Talk about a industry behemoth. Also, have heard their warranty and service dept is for sh@t.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

slow
    Owners of both have other local stores that are not factory concept stores and carry other brands. While I don't frequent their other locations, I wouldn't want to see their other LBSs taken down by the factory stores.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Owners of both have other local stores that are not factory concept stores and carry other brands. While I don't frequent their other locations, I wouldn't want to see their other LBSs taken down by the factory stores.
    True and the trek store has niner and orbea now.

mtbr member

I would hate to see any bike shop go down in flames...

...but given where the economy is going, the over head in those new shops, and the price and selection online, I'm not sure how they can pull it off.

I agree - the folks I've met in there have been cool. I had the guys at Peloton build some wheels and they did a good job, but I have to agree, their retail prices are through the roof. As much as I like the people, I have my limits on how much more I'm willing to spend in their shop vs. getting my stuff else where.

I've thought about opening a shop myself but don't have enough faith that it would pull enough profit, so here I sit in my cubicle - a wage slave But at least I still have a steady paycheck.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dieing!"

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    There are a lot of bike shops I'd rather support than a Trek store.
    Being a Trek store doesn't mean it is a Trek corporate owned store, (if that is what you are getting at).
    The Trek store in Boulder, formerly Cutting edge sports, is still locally owned and operated. It has only been re-branded as a "Trek bicycle store". Depriving them of your support only hurts the local owners. I assume it is the same situation with the Loveland store.

Peloton cycles in Ft Collins? I think I drove by that place once. Is it a huge store with a portico as big as Redstone cyclery?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    The very high end might take a hit, but it's important to remember that the last great recession & energy shortages we had in the 70's is what fueled the bike boom.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Being a Trek store doesn't mean it is a Trek corporate owned store, (if that is what you are getting at).
    The Trek store in Boulder, formerly Cutting edge sports, is still locally owned and operated. It has only been re-branded as a "Trek bicycle store". Depriving them of your support only hurts the local owners. I assume it is the same situation with the Loveland store.
    Is it a franchise? McDonalds aren't owned by the corporation either.

Why would I want to shop at a store that will only sell, or suggest that I use Trek products?

I'm merely suggetsing that there are lots of bike stores on the Front Range. The cream rises and others fall.

For what it's worth, the peloton guys were very nice the time I stoped in and sold me an outrageously over-priced road tube at a discounted price because I only had $5.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    [QUOTE=SinglePowderTrack} Also, have heard their warranty and service dept is for sh@t.[/QUOTE]

I don't know who you talk to, but my warranty experiences with them have been absolutely excellent. Honestly, way easier and efficienct than any other brand I've dealt with.

mtbr member
    If the Trek stores are like the Specialized concept shops, then they are owned by individuals, not the parent company. Has that already been said? But it is my understanding that the parent company has much more weight in requiring those special stores to carry specific product lines, regardless.

For example, I'm doing some time in South Dakota, and the Spec "concept" shop here is required to carry full runs of demos and sx's. Mind you, this is in the flat-land of SD. Not the black hills. Does that make much business sense? That's some expensive inventory that has slim to no chance of selling.

I feel bad for those peeps, tho. Only carrying one brand (no matter how good it is) isn't very diversified, and IMO has less of a chance satisfying a larger percent of the finicky cyclist crowd.

With that said, anyone know if the Trek shop in Loveland has the new Session 88?
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-Rode
    We sell Niner Bikes into the Trek store of Loveland and Lee's Cyclery. The Trek store is a beautiful location, as is the new Peloton/Specialized concept store. I think the timing of BOTH of these locations was less than ideal. For instance, the TREK location in Centerra has a HUGE future opportunity of doing some really big sales numbers. Something like 10,000 single family homes are (were?) planned in that corridor around Centerra and I am sure the owner of the Trek Concept store sees this opportunity as a business man. But, the economy took a nose dive and is in the pooper as we know so new construction has come to a standstill. I have heard from neighbors that work at Centerra stores/ Loveland Outlet shops that it's numbers are down pretty big from last year, so it is not just the bike shops.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A new Trek store opened in the Kansas City area when I lived there. Each time a friend or I went in there, they were all too busy BS-ing among themselves and thought they worked at a Maserati dealership or something. It was a bit perplexing because they didn't do much to get involved in the community at the time yet acted like Trek was the ultimate machine and you were not worth talking to if you didn't own or buy one.

Plus, the inventory at almost every one is pathetic- they carry so much junk that it isn't even worth browsing for an impulse buy. Shape up or dry up- this economy will be merciless for another 9 months or so.

Here is an example of stupidity- I call around (local shops) to buy a Spin bike. Nobody will entertain any discounts or sales and hold to MSRP ($1,000-$1,700). Well, I can pick up the same models at $700-$1300 online....with free shipping. Guess what I'll do?

Just dumb- sitting on inventory for nothing and hoping (yeah, Wheatridge is one) to do okay. The bike that lists for $1,300 costs around $700 wholesale. They want $1,300 plus tax and expect customers to move inventory for them in this economy? Not happening,

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Bends But Doesn't Break
    Dustin, Scott, and the blond girl - their prices are actually higher than Specialized's MSRP on many items.
    True. But point that fact out to them and they always gladly match or beat the prices on the Speshy website.

percocet pioneer.
    Peloton sponsors our team up here so their retail prices are manageable. I've never dealt with their service department. Kinda seems like every single employee is a roadie though..

Members who have read this thread: 0