contains quinine

Anyone else getting the Marshall Mesa updates?

This is an area I typically hit on commutes home from work, and also in the winter. Nice connector trails, great views, etc. But a few interesting findings by Boulder.

"Creating “obstacles” for bicyclists may conflict with other uses and create safety issues (more bicyclists riding faster) for other recreationists."

Don't obstacles make us ride slower?

"Cons:·Trail connects to a county road corridor."

Yeah, we don't want trails to go anywhere... That way less people use them!

26 pages of pros and cons to access for the area. Thought I would share a few...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    I don't follow? I know Boulder was doing some sort of trail review
    (one day on Mesa there was a table set up with a person handing
    out information, asking question, and answering answers.) Do they
    send out information by email? Web?

Depending on the obstacle, I might just ride faster

Boulder/Boulder County have some nice trails, but my complaint
    is they tend to be segmented for no apparent reason ( I really hate
    competing with cars.)

-r

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Work day on Marshall Mesa 9/17

Work day on the new trail 9/17:

http://www.boa-mtb.org/events/?id=28

At least they have finally agreed to connect to 66th street. Now if they'll connect over to the area by the park&ride lot at 93 and Marshall/Eldorado Springs road, you could ride all the way to Superior without riding on Marshall Road. That would be a good thing, especially in Winter when it is dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    This is an area I typically hit on commutes home from work, and also in the winter. Nice connector trails, great views, etc. But a few interesting findings by Boulder.

"Creating “obstacles” for bicyclists may conflict with other uses and create safety issues (more bicyclists riding faster) for other recreationists."

Don't obstacles make us ride slower?

"Cons:·Trail connects to a county road corridor."

Yeah, we don't want trails to go anywhere... That way less people use them!

26 pages of pros and cons to access for the area. Thought I would share a few...

contains quinine
    I didn't frame those comments very well, did I?

It's from ‘Report on Trail Alternatives-Summary for Marshall Mesa – Southern Grasslands Trail Study Area.’

It was weighing changes to the Marshall Mesa area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

where/what is 66th street??

I rode the Mesa, Coalton Rd. & connecting pavement last night in the dark. Saw rabbits, cows, toads & big spiders with sparkling green eyes! They give me the creeps & make me ride faster. I have reviewed the plan but cannot figure out where 66th is. I think they will relocate trailhead to 93 where that office building was & was torn down. Plus they will eventually put a tunnel under 93 to connect.

Obviously Single

BOA is working on it ...

I didn't frame those comments very well, did I?

It's from ‘Report on Trail Alternatives-Summary for Marshall Mesa – Southern Grasslands Trail Study Area.’

It was weighing changes to the Marshall Mesa area.
    FYI, BOA is working on this. We have noticed these sections of the report, as well. :-)
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    FYI, BOA is working on this. We have noticed these sections of the report, as well. :-)
    That's good to hear. While this isn't the type of trails to get up early for and make plans for, it sure hits the spot after work: it's accessibilty is key. That, and it's easy enough for a lot of newbie's to hit and get an appreciation to this sport so many of us love.

I've had three emails from BOA since the City's first email about Mashall Mesa and nothings been mentioned, besides show up for a trail day there. BOA was great with inundating the powers that be about the Heil-Hall connector, what about Marshall Mesa? Wasn't BOA instrumental in creating this trail in the first place?

Did BOA get the first two emails about the study, the first from the city, and the second from a disgruntled gentleman asking, "Is this just my imagination or is the mountain bike community being shunned again?" For the record, my comments were edited by the city to remove an overt pro-biking stance....

(I'm a due-paying BOA member, fwiw, and a happy one at that! I hope that sounded like constructive criticism!)

Here's a map of the area, 66th included:
    http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/openspac...bareas_Map.pdf

Obviously Single

BOA is trying

That's good to hear. While this isn't the type of trails to get up early for and make plans for, it sure hits the spot after work: it's accessibilty is key. That, and it's easy enough for a lot of newbie's to hit and get an appreciation to this sport so many of us love.

I've had three emails from BOA since the City's first email about Mashall Mesa and nothings been mentioned, besides show up for a trail day there. BOA was great with inundating the powers that be about the Heil-Hall connector, what about Marshall Mesa? Wasn't BOA instrumental in creating this trail in the first place?

Did BOA get the first two emails about the study, the first from the city, and the second from a disgruntled gentleman asking, "Is this just my imagination or is the mountain bike community being shunned again?" For the record, my comments were edited by the city to remove an overt pro-biking stance....

(I'm a due-paying BOA member, fwiw, and a happy one at that! I hope that sounded like constructive criticism!)

Here's a map of the area, 66th included:
    http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/openspac...bareas_Map.pdf
    Several folks from the BOA board of directors, including me, are on the mailing list. Several folks (not including me) are all over this.

Here's my stab at diplomacy: we have to balance our desire to effect change with the need to work cooperatively with the proper agencies.

I don't have the answers to all of your questions, but I know those that do, and I can put you in touch with them, if you like. (And BOA can always use a new board member that has the energy to help move change forward.)
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

66th

66th is the next road east of the Marshall Mesa trailhead off Marshall road. It is paved for about 3/4 mile heading south, then it turns to the east and is dirt until it ends behind the Target in Superior. The old landfill is up there, and some radio receivers for NOAA, I think.

I sometimes take RTD and get off the bus at Marshall/Eldo and 93, and ride east over to the Interlocken area where I work. In the winter when it is dark, I use the 66th street back way to avoid being killed by crazed commuters. Now that the trail will connect to 66th, I'll just have to brave the 1/2 mile from the corner to the trailhead. If they would make the spot where the office building used to be(what an amazing waste of human and natural resources that whole episode was), a parking lot and connect over to there, I'll be really happy. What a freaking waste it was to kick out two long established businesses to build an office building that was never occupied, then tear it down and gate off the lot. Some stuff that happens in Boulder just amazes me.

I read recently that the tunnel under 93 has been held up for almost 20 years by the ditch company that owns Community Ditch. Boulder County is finally playing hardball with them, and there may actually be a tunnel soon. Soon in Boulder time is about three years....

I have pictures of my son riding Marshall Mesa on the way home from getting his first 26" 'real' mountain bike. As mentioned, it is a great place for a quick ride in the late afternoon, or for newbies getting their wheels underneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I rode the Mesa, Coalton Rd. & connecting pavement last night in the dark. Saw rabbits, cows, toads & big spiders with sparkling green eyes! They give me the creeps & make me ride faster. I have reviewed the plan but cannot figure out where 66th is. I think they will relocate trailhead to 93 where that office building was & was torn down. Plus they will eventually put a tunnel under 93 to connect.