I heart the drops

Anyone with a canfield in the front range?

I am looking to get a canfield frame and I have only seen 1 in the front range and I would love to be able to see how they ride. I am looking at a can - diggle or a lucky and if anyone has one and would be willing to let me ride it I would happily supply a case of beer of choice and gas money. If not please just tell me how they ride because its kinda hard spending money on a frame without even seeing one.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Your retarded
    Not what you're looking for, but I have a Canfield Balance. I'm quite happy with it, but from what I understand, the new generation blows away the older generations.

It's setup a little differently now, but this gives you an idea.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What is the intended riding?

I am in Boise, ID and have a Balance and a Jedi. Had an older F1 and have two buddies who have a One and a Diggle here as well. Have ride time on them all. Not sure what you mean by Front Range but figured that if I didn't know where that was, it must not be near me. What type of riding do you want to do on the bike? The Lucky and Diggle ride fairly differently. Lucky is a bigger version of my Balance. Super crazy strong and stiff like no other. Some rearward travel to smooth out the trail but it makes pedaling in technical areas a bit of a challenge with the pedal feedback. Diggle is a more vertical wheel path that pedals amazingly. Lighter than the Lucky and not the beast the Lucky is in the burly department, probably an easier bike to live with all around though. I would get the Diggle if you want a bike you can comfortably pedal to the top and not hold back on the way down. Lucky will get you to the top, but you will want shorter cranks to make up for low bb and not as good a pedaler, designed more for a downhill priority though.
    Quality on both is fantastic and both will perform their roles as well if not better than any bike out there.

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Not what you're looking for, but I have a Canfield Balance. I'm quite happy with it, but from what I understand, the new generation blows away the older generations.

It's setup a little differently now, but this gives you an idea.
    I have only seen yours at pueblo and I know you roll the hell out of that thing I am basically looking at the lucky mostly because I am a big dude. I'm the one who was sitting next to you at the kraked 7 premier in golden. If there is a chance could I come to the springs and tool around on it?

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    I am in Boise, ID and have a Balance and a Jedi. Had an older F1 and have two buddies who have a One and a Diggle here as well. Have ride time on them all. Not sure what you mean by Front Range but figured that if I didn't know where that was, it must not be near me. What type of riding do you want to do on the bike? The Lucky and Diggle ride fairly differently. Lucky is a bigger version of my Balance. Super crazy strong and stiff like no other. Some rearward travel to smooth out the trail but it makes pedaling in technical areas a bit of a challenge with the pedal feedback. Diggle is a more vertical wheel path that pedals amazingly. Lighter than the Lucky and not the beast the Lucky is in the burly department, probably an easier bike to live with all around though. I would get the Diggle if you want a bike you can comfortably pedal to the top and not hold back on the way down. Lucky will get you to the top, but you will want shorter cranks to make up for low bb and not as good a pedaler, designed more for a downhill priority though.
    Quality on both is fantastic and both will perform their roles as well if not better than any bike out there.
    Its main goal will be to strike fear in the heart of the elderly and young children. I will mostly use it as a lift bike with some fr thrown in the mix. I will put my totem on it and probably a 34t front ring. its main purpose will be an upgrade from this.
    Picture 320.jpg

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    I have only seen yours at pueblo and I know you roll the hell out of that thing I am basically looking at the lucky mostly because I am a big dude.
    I suffer from the same "big dude" gene. I've definitely given this bike a run for its money and it has held up so far. I have a lot of confidence in Canfield's bikes as a result of owning this one.

I'm the one who was sitting next to you at the kraked 7 premier in golden. If there is a chance could I come to the springs and tool around on it?
    Crap, now I'm going to have to remember things. The only thing I remember from that day was getting hit in the back of the head by spit balls throughout the movie. But to answer your question, yeah, head on down sometime. I'm house shopping right now so things will likely be busy, but I'm always happy to break away for a ride.

Something to keep in mind is that the Balance has about the most progressive suspension design of any bike out there. The new generation is much more linear. aenema is a good voice to listen to regarding how Canfields feel as is Lance Canfield (flymybike).
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Lucky would get my vote

Its main goal will be to strike fear in the heart of the elderly and young children. I will mostly use it as a lift bike with some fr thrown in the mix. I will put my totem on it and probably a 34t front ring. its main purpose will be an upgrade from this.
    Picture 320.jpg
    If recommending the bike for you was in on the ballot. Sounds like the ticket for what you are wanting to do.

The Lucky and the Balance have just enough rearward travel that it does a great job of smoothing out the rough stuff on a trail. It would ride great with a 34 or 36 tooth front end and is super duper stout laterally. Just like the Balance. You would not notice any pedal feedback with those rings at all so that would be a non issue, the rearward and progressive rate will make it faster with no downside. No offense to the Haro, but it would be a heck of an upgrade.

Oh, and thanks for the vote of confidence Nickle.

Canfield Brothers
    Thanks guys. That's all spot on input.
    Giantsaam - The Lucky would be the best for you between the Lucky and CanDiggle, from what you said. The Luckys and Balance bikes are as strong as bikes get. Would last a long time even in a real pounders hands.
    How tall are you? I have a couple friends that have Luckys you could ride. Theres only a couple new ones left.

I heart the drops
    Thanks Lance I talked to chris the other week and he pretty much said the same thing I just want to ride one before I shell out that kind of dough. I am 6'00 and I ride a large and I know there is one new frame left so thats why I put out the all call.

Canfield Brothers
    fyi- I also have a used large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My Balance has been the most fun bike I have ever owned. I am keeping that thing forever and it will probably outlast me. The Lucky is just a bigger version of the Balance. Not sure if my testimonial matters much but I thought I would give it.

Members who have read this thread: 0