mtbr member

Any Santa Cruz Dealers with Bullits?

I got a buddy who is interested in the beast. Anyone know of a shop who has any in size large?

Peace with chicken grease!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Call Mojo Wheels.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Denver spoke. large blue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Call Mojo Wheels.

I seriously feel like I was totally scammed at this shop...I decided never giving them my business in the future was enough...and I would not start a post attacking the shop, but feel it necessary to at least warn a potential victim is the right thing to do....BR

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    I seriously feel like I was totally scammed at this shop...I decided never giving them my business in the future was enough...and I would not start a post attacking the shop, but feel it necessary to at least warn a potential victim is the right thing to do....BR
    Who did you deal with? Every shop has a bad seed, or two, or four...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First time I've heard this

Was there no way you could work out your problem with them? I guess things might change over time with any shop but I'm surprised Mojo might have gone downhill that far in the customer service department. I'm sure they have their side of the story.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Was there no way you could work out your problem with them? I guess things might change over time with any shop but I'm surprised Mojo might have gone downhill that far in the customer service department. I'm sure they have their side of the story.
    It was 3 employees, I did not take it up with the owners...Was not worth it for me, you live and learn...cost me a bit of cash, but saved me from buying a bike there as I was looking for a blur as well....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It was 3 employees, I did not take it up with the owners...Was not worth it for me, you live and learn...cost me a bit of cash, but saved me from buying a bike there as I was looking for a blur as well....
    I bet the owner would have wanted to know a potential customer had a gripe about her employees. I know, sometimes it's just not seemingly worth the effort to pursue it...all I can say is I never felt scammed there. But that was awhile ago. And I only dealt with Bob, the manager. Is he still there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I bet the owner would have wanted to know a potential customer had a gripe about her employees. I know, sometimes it's just not seemingly worth the effort to pursue it...all I can say is I never felt scammed there. But that was awhile ago. And I only dealt with Bob, the manager. Is he still there?
    For what it is worth, I had read good things about the shop on here…so being new to the area I went there to upgrade to hydraulic brakes. I had read the posts about juicy’s in the brake section and did not think I wanted to go that direction.
    I went to the shop with the intent of buying new brakes…Speaking to a guy behind the counter he talked me into Juicy seven’s, said that my fears were not an issue, they were great brakes. However they did not have any in stock. He would do me a favor and see if any of the employees had a good used set available. I wanted new, but also wanted to get some brakes so I agreed. It just so happened that an employee did have a set. So I bought a set of used avid juicy’s from the employee for a decent price. I brought my bike in and they agreed to get them installed for the normal price. I paid a couple hundred to the employee for the brakes and over a hundred to the shop to have them installed. They also did get them done for me in a quick turn around, so I brought them a six-pack of their choice for the service.
    I rode the bike 3-4 times over a week of time and vibration and noise was insane, so I went back to the shop. The same guy that suggested these brakes told me that it was pretty normal for them and I would need new rotors and pads as that might solve the issue. I mentioned he had suggested these and the guy right over there in back sold them to me last week….
    At this point it had dawned on me that, one of the employees wanted to unload a set of brakes and I had pretty much been played. Having dealt with these kids one week before they all pretended to not know me…the whole thing was pretty stupid and orchestrated by teenage to early twenties employees…I am a bit older and thought that I actually have a some money and wanted nothing more to do with them….so I took my bike to another shop, got XT brakes and had a great rest of the season….

Stand back
    Juicies are good brakes, but they shouldn't have sold them to you w/o warning you about the rotors (which are no reason to "unload" a set of brakes as they're cheap and easy to swap). Over $100 sounds pretty pricey for a brake install, though, and FWIW I've had more issues with the owner than any employee there...
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Juicies are good brakes, but they shouldn't have sold them to you w/o warning you about the rotors (which are no reason to "unload" a set of brakes as they're cheap and easy to swap). Over $100 sounds pretty pricey for a brake install, though, and FWIW I've had more issues with the owner than any employee there...
    I hear ya, I am pretty mechanically inclined and have learned quite a bit about working on my own bike, just at the time I had just moved here, had a studio apartment with no room and did not really know much about the bikes...either way I really like the XT at this point.

mtbr member
    Thanks yo. He's gonna check out D-spoke and Mojo today.

Hey BR, Sorry to hear about your troubles at Mojo. That sounds like a pretty shiesty gig. If Lisa (owner) knew about it, those boys probably would've been in big trouble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hmmm, FWIW I had an excellent experience at Mojo Wheels this summer. Got a new Heckler there in July. They didn't have a RP23 in stock in the right size, so they let me ride a brand new FloatR for a few weeks before the RP23 came in and then swapped it out for free. I needed to warranty my front wheel in the fall, they gave me a decent rental wheel to use for free for almost a month.

friend of Apex
    I was searching through the MTBR "hot deals" and found this, if you want frame only
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    I got a buddy who is interested in the beast. Anyone know of a shop who has any in size large?

Peace with chicken grease!
    SylentK would your buddy be interested in a used one in good condition? I have a friend that has talked about selling his for about a year, it is the older style frame. He does'nt ride it anymore because he has other bikes. It is a complete bike, I could find out how much he wants for it or get your buddy in touch with him. Matt

mtbr member
    Hey Matt, I wouldn't bother. With the discounts the shops are giving, it would have to be a really sweet Bullit at a dirt cheap price. Plus this dude likes his brand new toys. He's a sven like that.

WKD - thanks for the post, but it's just more cost effective for him to go complete.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ive always had good dealings w/ mojo-- my roommate bought Bob's old enduro used- got an awesome price. He blew the specialized fork up, they sent it back under warranty and got it back to him I think under 2 weeks for FREE- - they always seemed pretty good to me too

Stand back
    Holy cow, 9.4 lbs? That's gotta be at least the weight of a 7 point frame.
    http://www.rscycle.com/2007-Iron-Hor...category=28504
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Hey I am not trying to be a "tool" but I know sometimes I am

I bought my Heckler from the Sports Garage in Boulder and they treated me like a good customer and they always do right by me when I need something for my bike. At a reasonable price ofcourse. The reason I bought my Heckler there was because I called around/emailed all of the SC dealers with in 75 miles of Boulder in mid July and no one had a Medium Heckler in stock, the sports garage had one on order so I put a deposit on it and in less than a week I had my Heckler. But the point of my story is I went looking for a Heckler aggressively in Mid season and found one, (this is where the tool part comes in) if your buddy wants a Bullit he need only go to the SC website and find local dealers and start calling, the Bullit fairy might drop one in his lap??? I just know when I want something and I want it my way I have to man up strap my sack on and go do it
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

Fearing the Reaper
    I think Sports Garage might have a Bullit still on the floor. I saw a green one a while ago in there.

Stand up shop from my experiences there.

Thread Terrorist
    BenR,
    Sorry to hear about your issue. I wouldn't blame the shop. When you buy used from an individual, you're not buying them from the shop. So, if you have problems with the item, you have to go through them (same applies with Craigslist & Ebay). The shop is great and you shouldn't blame the shop for the issue; give Mojo a chance.

IE

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    BenR,
    Sorry to hear about your issue. I wouldn't blame the shop. When you buy used from an individual, you're not buying them from the shop. So, if you have problems with the item, you have to go through them (same applies with Craigslist & Ebay). The shop is great and you shouldn't blame the shop for the issue; give Mojo a chance.

IE

It was not presented as buying from an individual, they checked if an employee or demo bike has a set. I gave them a chance and it saved me a few thousand dollars from buying a bike there. I found a good local shop that I am happy with. A shop is only as good as the people doing the work and handling the customers....walking into Mojo should not be like ebay or CL...but you are right it did turn out like that.....

Thread Terrorist
    I personally like having options to buy from the shop guys sometimes. But hey, that's me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I personally like having options to buy from the shop guys sometimes. But hey, that's me.
    Hopefully you can find an honest one there.....

Big Boned
    It just so happened that an employee did have a set. So I bought a set of used avid juicy’s from the employee for a decent price.

It was not presented as buying from an individual

Okay, something here doesn't add up.

Which is it? Did you pay the shop, or did you pay the employee?

Was your transaction run through the register? Did you get a receipt? If not, you did not buy the brakes from the shop, and it's entirely on you for making the choice to buy used parts from an individual, just like if you bought off Craig's List or whatever.

And honestly, caveat emptor -- if you don't know enough **not** to buy used parts off shop employees -- any shop -- then you bought a ticket and got taken for a ride. It's not the shop's fault at all.

If the transaction was run through the register and you got a receipt, and you didn't bother to talk to the owner or manager when you had a problem, it's also on you for not following through.

If you have a receipt, you at least should have talked to Lisa or Bob about it -- especially before you went and talked trash online. If not, then you made a poor decision in the hopes of saving a few bucks and it backfired. But if I were in your place, I'd still probably talk to the manager/owner, if for no other reason than to let them know what was going on in their shop. And you never know, they may still help you out.

Now -- is it fishy for a shop employee to be cutting deals for used parts with customers on the side, off the books, while working on the shop floor? Damn skippy it's fishy. But if you made the decision to go along with that... Like I said, caveat emptor.

Full disclosure -- I have a business relationship with Mojo. But in this case, I'm calling it like I see it. Any shop owner would rather you come talk to them about such an issue before you go ripping on them in public. Because as you implied, if they win your trust, you just might buy bikes from them in the future. Where's the percentage for them in screwing over random customers over a pair of used brakes?

Honestly, Ben, your story is a bit suspicious...
    Last edited by Manmountain Dense; 01-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Okay, something here doesn't add up.

Which is it? Did you pay the shop, or did you pay the employee?

Was your transaction run through the register? Did you get a receipt? If not, you did not buy the brakes from the shop, and it's entirely on you for making the choice to buy used parts from an individual, just like if you bought off Craig's List or whatever.

And honestly, caveat emptor -- if you don't know enough **not** to buy used parts off shop employees -- any shop -- then you bought a ticket and got taken for a ride. It's not the shop's fault at all.

If the transaction was run through the register and you got a receipt, and you didn't bother to talk to the owner or manager when you had a problem, it's also on you for not following through.

If you have a receipt, you at least should have talked to Lisa or Bob about it -- especially before you went and talked trash online. If not, then you made a poor decision in the hopes of saving a few bucks and it backfired. But if I were in your place, I'd still probably talk to the manager/owner, if for no other reason than to let them know what was going on in their shop. And you never know, they may still help you out.

Now -- is it fishy for a shop employee to be cutting deals for used parts with customers on the side, off the books, while working on the shop floor? Damn skippy it's fishy. But if you made the decision to go along with that... Like I said, caveat emptor.

Full disclosure -- I have a business relationship with Mojo. But in this case, I'm calling it like I see it. Any shop owner would rather you come talk to them about such an issue before you go ripping on them in public. Because as you implied, if they win your trust, you just might buy bikes from them in the future. Where's the percentage for them in screwing over random customers over a pair of used brakes?

Honestly, Ben, your story is a bit suspicious...

I do have a receipt for the install not for the brakes. Looking back on it, it was naive on my part. It was just presented as a normal thing, smooth thing that since they do not have a set in stock they will do me the favor of seeing if one is on a demo or employee bike. I also did not post about this is sept. when it took place, I just moved on. I am not trashing anyone on line, just sharing my experience with the shop. Since someone on here recommended it, that is how I ended up there and felt sharing this experience the right thing to do. It is 100% the shop responsibility when 3 employees in the shop during business hours run a scam like this. You are right the story seems suspicious, it was a total scam....worse than being out a few dollars is that I fell for it....I guess you never stop learning...either way no need to continue to drag this out.....

Stand back
    Umm, he's relaying a personal experience, not looking for a solution - he already made his own by picking up a different set of brakes.
    IMO, it was not so much a scam as just a bad deal - like Craigslist, only in this case advertised thru a shop. And IMO it's a good thing to have a warning about a LBS made public.
    Golden Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Look at it this way. You'll eventually get new rotors and brake pads anyway.

So, lets try to solve the problem instead of debate whether or not you got scammed.

Also, the sound could be due to other issues outside of needing new parts.

1. Check Alignment.
    2. Brake pads also have squeelers to alert you when the pads are getting low, since they were used, they may be close to that.
    3. Another annoying issue that is probable amoung noisy rotors is the rotor itself may be loose or not tightened properly. Check bolt tightening spec.
    4. Also, ensure your hub isn't loose for any reason. I had a loose hub (Hadley) and I got horrible noise from it. Once I tightened it, the noise went away.

Members who have read this thread: 0