Thread: All mtn frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

All mtn frame

I've read the reviews and still can't decide, so I figured I would ask some of the guys who ride the same trails I do what they think.

Building a new setup for this year, trying to decide between Santa Cruz Heckler and Commencal meta 6, or if any one else has frame suggestions for 5-6" FS frame under $1200 I'm all ears.

Going to build it up with a revelation 150 and already have wheels/brakes and 1x9 drivetrain so just tying to nail down the right frame.

Riding style = aggressive/technical/not very good/not very fast

All comments and recommendations appreciated!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Damn - was going to recommend the Reign but the frameset appears to be quite a bit more than $1200. Maybe buy a full built Reign 2 for $2K and part it out? Bit of a hassle...

I'm with stupid
    The yeti 575 is pretty popular out here..... Maybe because it was designed using front range trails. They also " beefed" it up with 2011 I am pretty sure you can find a blow out or used for your price range.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so used 575 > new heckler or meta 6?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKENBIKE42 View Post
    I'd say the frame design is better... but that's kind of subjective.

Keep in mind - used frame = no warranty.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    I'd say can the 150. I will however offer up (shamelessly ) a used 2009 Float 36 (tapered) for $300 that is extra now that I bought a Marz 66. PM me if interested.

I second the 575 frame, but again cost goes up. Ever thought of a 7? I could be convinced to part with my frame :P
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

banned
    Oct 2004
    Dig around for aluminum Nomads. I've seen them as low as $800. What size are you looking for?

I'm with stupid
    IMHO which only seems to count with me..... Yes.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looking for a 17" frame, I am 5-8. I'm thinking the nomad would be a little too big as I would only be putting a 150 on there but maybe it could work.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Looking for a 17" frame, I am 5-8. I'm thinking the nomad would be a little too big as I would only be putting a 150 on there but maybe it could work.
    Well, on the 150 scene for Santa Cruz, there's the Blur LT2. They were being thrown out w/ the bath water a while back.

Here ya go, took all of about 15 seconds: Blur LT2 Frame - Medium - Pinkbike.com

And, if you're a feather-weight, I have a tweaked '11 (Kashima) 32 Float RLC for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have had a Heckler for 3 years now. I am more into the aggressive/technical trail riding too. Dont ride in the Denver much but can't imagine anything on the front range I wouldn't enjoy riding it on.

Mine is set up 1x9 with chainguide with Lyrik u-turnj and I love it on anything.

Don't know the meta-6, and I know the 575 has been beefed up, but I tried one before I got the Heckler and didn't like it.

Shes a little old now, but I still love my Heckler. Its better than most people know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pau11y, I saw that and was considering, is the Blur really better than a brand new heckler frame at the same price? Has anyone ridden both?

ride
    Transition Covert! Great bike, new closeouts are in your $$. Had one with a Revelation 150 on it and loved it. One of the best descending bikes I'd ridden in a long time.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

banned
    Oct 2004
    Pau11y, I saw that and was considering, is the Blur really better than a brand new heckler frame at the same price? Has anyone ridden both?
    Personally, I tend to favor multi-pivot'd bikes vs singles. The other thought is the Heckler is discont'd no? The LT2/LTc is a billy-goat of a climber, and if you put a 36/160mm fork on the front of the thing, it'll slack it out just about right and can be down'd to 95% of a Nomad.

Disclaimer: I'm VPP-biased so take what I say w/ a boulder of salt

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Damn - was going to recommend the Reign but the frameset appears to be quite a bit more than $1200. Maybe buy a full built Reign 2 for $2K and part it out? Bit of a hassle...
    +1

I love the Reign I bought in Jan. 2011. The suspension is much better than my previous single pivot bike (C-Dale Prophet). I can't say enough good things about this bike, the geometry is great and slacker than some other bikes in the same travel range, it's super light, and the frame quality is amazing. At $2K it's still a bargain with hydroformed tubes, tapered steerer, sealed bearing pivots, press-fit BB, and cable routing for a dropper seatpost. The $2k Reign comes with a great parts kit, and the whole bike will be about the same price as the Santa Cruz frame + Revelation 150.

Members who have read this thread: 0