mtbr member
    Mar 2005

All-Colorado Bike?

I want a bike for riding front range stuff and also Colorado trail/Breck as well as Winter Park stuff. Maybe Fruita too, eventually. Any suggestions for the best all-around Colorado bike? My budget is $3000-3500.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkHard
    I want a bike for riding front range stuff and also Colorado trail/Breck as well as Winter Park stuff. Maybe Fruita too, eventually. Any suggestions for the best all-around Colorado bike? My budget is $3000-3500.
    I'm thinking about purchasing an all-around trail bike also and so far, I'm leaning toward the 2005 Specialized Enduro Expert. Sticker price in most shops is around $3200. I ride DH/FR and am looking to get a lighter bike that I can climb on but will still take some abuse. This bike is a 6x6 (travel-wise). I think it's pretty sweet: Fox 36 Fork, 5th shock, Avid Juicy Seven's. Sexy.

EDIT: another awesome feature is the adjustable geometry. Rake it out for MTNX / DH and heighten the BB for climbs.

https://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMod...2ljunrx.j27002

eci
    i second grants idea. Def a great all around bike. and it could loose a pound or two with the right upgrades

mtbr member
    If you are near Denver, drop by Mojo Wheels - they've got some in stock you can check out. (You may be able to test it out on the dirt jumps they've got behind the shop if you ask nice). http://www.mojowheels.com

Talk with Bob. He is the sales manager and can cut you some sort of deal if you ask.

contains quinine
    Well... I've ridden with folks on 29'er rigid to 6x6 on a wide variety of trails, and very few who've spent that kind of dough on one bike.

I ride different bikes on different days depending on the trail and company I'm keeping. If I had that kind of money burning a whole in my pocket, I'd probably get 2 quality bikes instead of one chichi bike.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

locked - time out
    Personally - I would go for the SX Trail (slightly beefier than the Enduro, with a coil shock), but my idea of a good all-around trail bike might be different from most.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

interesting

the guy up the that train in nederland says everyone is riding the enduro up there on thos trails. for some reason i was thinking i need a xc style bike to be an all-around performer here? am i totally wrong?

locked - time out
    the guy up the that train in nederland says everyone is riding the enduro up there on thos trails. for some reason i was thinking i need a xc style bike to be an all-around performer here? am i totally wrong?
    I ride my 38 lb AC all over the place - so long as you're not racing weight weenie types uphill, it shouldn't matter that much.

edit: I guess that the real question should be - what type of riding do you intend to do at these places? Do you jump / drop off of or over stuff, or are you just looking for something that both climbs and descends well?

mtbr member
    Personally, a XC bike is a bit too fragile for me (not to mention I weigh 200-210 lbs or so). I just sold my last XC bike a few months ago because it wouldn't stand up to the abuse. It really depends on your riding style. Personally, I like to go really fast and jump as much as possible, so I need a slightly more robust bike. My main bike is around 43 pounds, so the Enduro at around 33 (?) is nicer for my more XC'ish rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I ride my 38 lb AC all over the place - so long as you're not racing weight weenie types uphill, it shouldn't matter that much.

edit: I guess that the real question should be - what type of riding do you intend to do at these places? Do you jump / drop off of or over stuff, or are you just looking for something that both climbs and descends well?
    Josh makes a good point. The trails you are riding are not as important as *how* you ride those trails. You can ride all the Colorado trails on anything from a 25lb XC racer to a 40lb freeride bike. It really depends on how you want to ride them and which trails (and which features) you will gravitate toward.

ride
    Seems like everyone's got an idea of an all Colorado bike! I've got a Turner 5 Spot and a Flux both that I like to ride. For the areas you mention, though, I'd take the Flux. For most of the CT/Breck/WP stuff, a 4" bike is fine. For me, more than 5" would be overkill.

Let me know if you want to ride 'em or check them out. dave@redstonecyclery.com
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

contains quinine
    It's a matter of personal taste. Like I mentioned, folks ride about every genre of mountain bike here. I've developed a bigish stable of bikes... Some days it's an Enduro (older than the pic above, 5x5), somedays it's a xcountry style singlespeed, somedays it's a geared 29'er, somedays it's a cross bike.

Most days it's a toss up between the geared hardtail and the squishy bike. I really like both, and depending on the trail and company, I pick one and ride it. If you're talking about the West Mag trails, you could ride anything there, imho, it's much more xcountry oriented than fr oriented.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

the sorry truth

i've only ridden a mountain bike once. my chick and i rented some in vegas to ride the mustang trails and red rock canyon. it was awesome. so now me and my chick want to get some bikes for colorado. so i don't even know what the trails are like. we like to go fast, up and down hill and go over anything that happens to be in the way too. are there lots of jumps and stuff on colorado singletrack? i don't know. if there are, we won't be afraid to maul over them. i guess we like general trail riding with the option to do crazy stuff if the opportunity presents itself. of all the bikes we tested she liked the titus motolite x-small the best. she is pretty much set but i am still undecided because i am an anal bastard that has to do weeks of research before choosing something.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Like several others have said, it really kind of depends on you and what/how you ride. I almost bought a Giant AC frame from SuperHo when they were super cheap, but then I looked at myself in the mirror and realized two things:

1. I'm not a freerider and that much travel was overkill for what I do
    2. I have a hard enough time lugging my 27lb 4.5 inch travel bike up the climbs around here, so building up a 35lb AC wasn't going to be optimal for me

I think there are plenty of great swiss army type bikes around these days. 4 to 5 inches of travel and 24 to about 30lbs to me is the sweet spot for most of the riding around here. Sure there are some places where a big 6 or 7 inch bike would be nice to have, but I'd probably be walking those sections anyway.

mtbr member

Yeti ASR

This bike gets my vote and it's my bike so obviously I am ubiased . Yeti touts it (or at least used to) as the ultimate colorado bike, it is extremely light and it rips downhill. I ride Crested Butte, Fruita, Monarch Crest, Kenosha Pass, front range etc every year and I think it is awesome. It has 4 inches of rear travel and for your budget you could set it up extremely light/durable. About the FR stuff, I don't do it, nor am I looking to get into it anytime soon, so I don't know about the 5+inch travel bikes, but I do know that I take my bike anywhere in colorado and it has not disappointed me yet. The 575 also is a consideration and it's cheaper than the ASR so you could max it out on components and have a pretty light setup with more travel. I've never ridden one but knowing yeti I am sure it will not dissapoint either.

mtbr member
    i've only ridden a mountain bike once. my chick and i rented some in vegas to ride the mustang trails and red rock canyon. it was awesome. so now me and my chick want to get some bikes for colorado. so i don't even know what the trails are like. we like to go fast, up and down hill and go over anything that happens to be in the way too. are there lots of jumps and stuff on colorado singletrack? i don't know. if there are, we won't be afraid to maul over them. i guess we like general trail riding with the option to do crazy stuff if the opportunity presents itself. of all the bikes we tested she liked the titus motolite x-small the best. she is pretty much set but i am still undecided because i am an anal bastard that has to do weeks of research before choosing something.
    If you are planning on doing some "crazy stuff if the opportunity presents itself" - do yourself a favor and invest in some at leg and/or elbow protection.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    Personally, a XC bike is a bit too fragile for me (not to mention I weigh 200-210 lbs or so). I just sold my last XC bike a few months ago because it wouldn't stand up to the abuse. It really depends on your riding style. Personally, I like to go really fast and jump as much as possible, so I need a slightly more robust bike. My main bike is around 43 pounds, so the Enduro at around 33 (?) is nicer for my more XC'ish rides.
    LOL... After seeing you ride you're going to break that air-sprung Enduro in 2! You were bottoming that DC hard on Sunday.
    By the way, it says "BALLS" on yor face

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    LOL... After seeing you ride you're going to break that air-sprung Enduro in 2! You were bottoming that DC hard on Sunday.
    Ha - I know. I just got my heavier spring installed today in the fork, though, and raised the oil level, so bottoming should be a thing of the past for that bike (until I work up to the 25 ft drops).

mtbr member
    ... my chick and i rented some in vegas ... so now me and my chick want to get some bikes for colorado... i guess we like general trail riding with the option to do crazy stuff if the opportunity presents itself.
    If you are planning on doing some "crazy stuff if the opportunity presents itself" - do yourself a favor and invest in some at leg and/or elbow protection.
    Besides - chicks look cool in pads....

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    You guys should all be riding hardtails! You're all a big bunch of wussies who're just whining about needing a long travel full squishy bikes for your "extreme" riding when you really just want them to make up for your lack of skill. Full squishies should be left to the fat, over 40 geezers, with bad backs who need the full suspension crutch...such as myself.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

ok now i am totally confused

i ride road bikes all the time and am in pretty good shape. should i consider a hard tail now? i thought all the rocks would break one of those.

mtbr member
    i ride road bikes all the time and am in pretty good shape. should i consider a hard tail now? i thought all the rocks would break one of those.
    Again, that is up to personal preference. There are riders who prefer hardtails over the full suspension bikes. Hardtails are great XC race bikes because there is no suspension to suck away your power from the pedals - and there are those who do ride freeride with hardtails. I personally ride a hardtail only for dirtjumping and skatepark / urban stuff, but I like my full suspension, because it actually does provide advantages for me when I freeride.

mtbr member
    Most of us can't afford a "stable of bikes"...

I made a big mistake on my first real bike - buying before I really knew what my favorite types of trails would be. I bought a Giant NRS-1 at 26lbs and a mere 3.75" travel. I broke two frames and ended up with a warrantied VT-1 frame because I was too hard on it. Took the components, built up a sweet HT for my son and bought the bike I should'a bought in the first place.

My all-duty Colorado bike is now a 2003 Giant AC-1 - it's a burly 36 or so pounds. It's pedalable uphill (not the FASTEST, but who cares?) and can handle anything but the gnarliest downhill and big drops.

I commute, ride XC, freeride, DH, shuttle...everything on my baby.

Of course the question was what should you buy now?

I'd definitely look at the Specialized...and the Cannondale Prophet. The Prophet has an adaptable head angle and can be spec'd for 6x6 at 26lbs!!
    Last edited by bikeCOLORADO; 03-22-2005 at 01:32 PM.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You guys should all be riding hardtails!

Funny you should say that Don, that's precisely what I've been thinking.

You don't still have your daughter's Schwinn hanging in the rafters, do you?

mtbr member
    Whatever you get, make sure it has streamers and a front basket with plastic flowers mounted on it.

(Josh needs to work on his photoshop 5k1llz)

locked - time out
    Nah, rocks won't break a hardtail - though you may go through certain parts *ahem, rear wheels, ahem* much faster if you're the type who enjoys running over stuff at high speeds.

It's obvious (well, to me) from this last post that you should put off buying a bike until you've had a chance to ride at least a couple of types (XCfs/fr/hardtail, etc...) on the local trails. I have known more than a few people who have bought FSXC bikes becuase they thought that was what they wanted, only to break them - or turn around and sell them at a loss so that they could get the bike that really suited their needs.

Some people like the precise feel of a hardtail, and are bothered by the vagueness of an FS bike, while others find hardtails too unforgiving, etc...etc...etc...

There are SO many different types of riders / bikes out there that you will probably be doing yourself a major disservice if you buy something on impulse before establishing what it is that will best suit your needs. I, for one, would be happy to hook up with you sometime (excuse for a group ride, anyone?) and let you ride my bike(s) - and I'm sure that there are others here who would do the same (provided that you choose a bike within 6 months, and are not constantly asking information from us that is readily available elsewhere - sorry about the tangent, inside joke...)

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO

I made a big mistake on my first real bike - buying before I really knew what my favorite types of trails would be. I bought a Giant NRS-1 at 26lbs and a mere 3.75" travel. I broke two frames and ended up with a warrantied VT-1 frame because I was too hard on it. Took the components, built up a sweet HT for my son and bought the bike I should'a bought in the first place.
    Well, first post says the budget's around 3k....

Decent bikes built for a good amount of abuse and reliability, can come pretty cheap - like the Enduro Comp I ride, bought for ~1400. Not bling, but good quality dependable stuff. I got nearly the same performance from the Enduro Comp as someone buying the Pro for 1000+ more. (I'll take a guess and say that you could get similar performance from an NRS2 or VT2 for a lot less money).

What works for me likely works ONLY for me. If I was spending 3k, I'd likely get a couple of more specialized bikes that one for everything.

And as we've all been saying, almost any quality mountain bike out there will get the job done in an enjoyable manner.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Nah, rocks won't break a hardtail - though you may go through certain parts *ahem, rear wheels, ahem* much faster if you're the type who enjoys running over stuff at high speeds.

It's obvious (well, to me) from this last post that you should put off buying a bike until you've had a chance to ride at least a couple of types (XCfs/fr/hardtail, etc...) on the local trails. I have known more than a few people who have bought FSXC bikes becuase they thought that was what they wanted, only to break them - or turn around and sell them at a loss so that they could get the bike that really suited their needs.

Some people like the precise feel of a hardtail, and are bothered by the vagueness of an FS bike, while others find hardtails too unforgiving, etc...etc...etc...

There are SO many different types of riders / bikes out there that you will probably be doing yourself a major disservice if you buy something on impulse before establishing what it is that will best suit your needs. I, for one, would be happy to hook up with you sometime (excuse for a group ride, anyone?) and let you ride my bike(s) - and I'm sure that there are others here who would do the same (provided that you choose a bike within 6 months, and are not constantly asking information from us that is readily available elsewhere - sorry about the tangent, inside joke...)
    Yeah, I agree.

To the OP, before I'd spend tons of coin on a pair of bikes, especially if I was just starting to ride, I'd make sure first that I knew exactly what I wanted and my riding preferences. My comments about the HT's was obviously tongue in cheek, but HT's are a good way to go, they're typically lower maintenance, less to go wrong, and they help you focus on developing your riding skills.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Now Uploading
    Whatever you get, make sure it has streamers and a front basket with plastic flowers mounted on it.
    I want a squeaky rubber dinosaur on mine.

Hey Grant, so what do you think of your new shifting, getting the hang of all thumbs?

Dave
    The Anti-Shimano
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    I want a squeaky rubber dinosaur on mine.

Hey Grant, so what do you think of your new shifting, getting the hang of all thumbs?

Dave
    The Anti-Shimano
    Lovin' it, thanks.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    getting the hang of being all thumbs?
    He should be, after 33 years.
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 03-22-2005 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow - even 2 years b4 I was born. Man - what a jerk!

Now Uploading
    Old fart!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    I don't know, did you see that one thread, I think you and me are a minority

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator

Depends on the hardtail

I've ridden my hardtail on some of the toughest trails in CO (and NM and UT) for the past 6 years and I'm sure it's good for another 4 at least. That being said, I have a couple of FS bikes too and if I could only have one bike it would be a 5"/5" travel bike (which, ironically is the only bike my current stable is missing).

Look at the Ventana X5 and the Turner 5 Spot. Both are proven designs that have been around for a few years and proven their durability and offer an excellent ride. Nothing against Specialized, but I don't really think the welds in the rear of that bike make it look terribly strong...

locked - time out
    Wow - even 2 years b4 I was born. Man - what a jerk!
    Whoops, my bad. I guess with all that talk of being old, I figured that you had to be older than me. Don't worry - you've still got 11 years before you'll be really old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I don't know, did you see that one thread, I think you and me are a minority
    Well...I should qualify my statement. I guess I do have a "stable of bikes"...one for me, one for the wife, one each for my three daughters and one son. If it weren't for having to buy for the whole family - maybe I could afford to have a full stable of "flavor of the day" bikes just for me.

As it is...I prefer to have a family thats nuts about biking with me. Holy Cow - We're heading to Fruita in one week!
    GoatRidesBikes.com

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Funny you should say that Don, that's precisely what I've been thinking.

You don't still have your daughter's Schwinn hanging in the rafters, do you?
    Yes, I do. I'll give it to you for free and it comes with its own queen size box spring mattress!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Whoops, my bad. I guess with all that talk of being old, I figured that you had to be older than me. Don't worry - you've still got 11 years before you'll be really old.
    Yuck Fu!

locked - time out
    Yuck Fu!
    Long live the oblique jab!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Long live the oblique jab!
    Yeah, I'm sure all the boys at County are very fond of it.....

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

I'm just killing me...

...with my wicked double entendre!

locked - time out
    Doh!

Professional Lurker
    Ummmm....going back to the dude's original question....about some kind of all-terrain CO bike I think?

Have you checked out Giant's new Maestro line? It's like a VPP but Giant's version. The Reign might be what you're after: 6" of squish, but still pedalable. Seems promising.

There's also the Faith with 8" of freeride travel and the other side there's the Trance with 4" of travel. NEETO!

Seems like the Reign 2 got some kind of accolade from Outside Magazine. Go here to check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentK
    Seems like the Reign 2 got some kind of accolade from Outside Magazine. Go here to check it out.
    I rode a demo Reign, and it was indeed snappy handling, fairly stiff laterally for all those pivots, lots of standover height, had a good pedaling platform feel, and the remote fork lockout actually worked well. I just do not care for Giant's internal headset offerings. I've ovalized one headtube (XTC), trashed a half a box of 44mm internal bearings and now I've got binding issues with the internal on my AC. They need to ditch the internal and give us a regular headtube. Otherwise some of the finest made mass-production imported frames out there.

Cheers,

Dave

Cynical Bystander

Josh I devirginized my AC today. Now I can see why you love yours so much. Totaly awesome all around bike. Climbs well, is easy to jump with, the Swinger feels good on it, perfectly built for descents. It was strange not being on the most overbuilt bike on my ride this morning though.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Josh I devirginized my AC today. Now I can see why you love yours so much. Totaly awesome all around bike. Climbs well, is easy to jump with, the Swinger feels good on it, perfectly built for descents. It was strange not being on the most overbuilt bike on my ride this morning though.
    Nice, I'm happy to hear that you like it. I think that they make great all around bikes, not too big, not too small. Keep an eye on the big bolts attaching the linkage to your seat tube, mine backed out before I put Loctite on them and I have heard of others having similar experiences. It's not a big deal - if you catch it before it backs all the way out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Done thinking about hard tails

i'm pretty sure i want a nice middle of the road (not all flat/not straight cliffs) full suspension bike. i'm guessing that is in the 4"-6" range. the lock out option sounds pretty interesting to make it act like a hardtail if you want. do the forks adjust on the fly as well between big squish and not so much squish? i want a nice quality frame that i'll have for a long time and has a warranty if i get crazy like you guys and break one. i also want nice front/rear suspension parts and probably xt or middle of the road sram (if i like that) components. keep in info flowing, thanks.

locked - time out
    i'm pretty sure i want a nice middle of the road (not all flat/not straight cliffs) full suspension bike. i'm guessing that is in the 4"-6" range. the lock out option sounds pretty interesting to make it act like a hardtail if you want. do the forks adjust on the fly as well between big squish and not so much squish? i want a nice quality frame that i'll have for a long time and has a warranty if i get crazy like you guys and break one. i also want nice front/rear suspension parts and probably xt or middle of the road sram (if i like that) components. keep in info flowing, thanks.
    Check out the Prophet, not sure of the pricing (though I'm fairly certain it's in your range), but they seem pretty sexy .

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5VE4.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    what did you guys do before full suspension? could you not ride the same trails? i am tore between a 4" travel bike and a longer travel one.

Still on Training Wheels!
    I would lean towards The Giant AC or a Kona Coiler for an all mountain ride. There both beefy enough to do most everything you run into on a colorado trail, without compromising its ability to pedal. I ride a 04 Coiler with 5 and 5(the 05 is 6 and 6) and have yet to be let down. It pedals well, not the fastest by any means and it desends great. I do more light freeriding and have done a few 8 foot to tranny and have yet to reach the bikes limits.

The AC is basicly the same bike just a different maker. The best thing about these bikes is that the can be had for like $1600. Great Colorado bikes for the price IMHO!
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

a dad
    Jan 2004
    the yeti 575 is nice too, can be pretty lightweight if you want it to be....specialized stumpjumper makes a 4/4 travel and 5/5 travel bikes that are nice...as others have said go ride a bunch, some will fit better than others and some you will just be drawn to..good luck....

ps, i used to ride all the same trails with a hardtail, in fact thats all there was when i started, just took a little more of a beating...glad they made these FS bikes nice now cause my old creaky body appreciates them....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member

C-Dale

I'm one of the few big supporters of Cannondale. Like Josh I ride my Gemini with 7 and 7 all over the place, and it suits everything except for fast climbing. It climbs well, but is just heavier. Like Josh again... you should take a serious look at the C-dale Prophet. I've heard some amazing reviews of this bike. So you know with the prophet... all the frames are the same, the cheapest bike is the same frame as the most expensive one. Only components make the difference. I'm down for that group ride if you ever get out here. Good luck

locked - time out
    what did you guys do before full suspension? could you not ride the same trails? i am tore between a 4" travel bike and a longer travel one.
    Nah - we rode the same trails, just alot slower. Everything is relative, cools things like suspension and disc brakes have just allowed us to look at rocks, trees, small children, etc... in a new light. Riding a hardtail (especially a rigid one) will develop an eye for the smoothest line like nothing else can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thats a great picture BikeColorado....

you've used that pic in other posts, where is that trail?

mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

WorkHard.....you wanna work hard...?

do a search on my username. you think YOUR anal!!!!

HA! ive been shopping for over 7 months! SEVEN!!!! you'll find all the info you need in my posts (skip the "dog on the trails" one, i got a little side tracked there ).

ive learned a TON in the last months and you will definitely benefit from my posts. the guys here are GREAT in their input. they dont pull any punches, they tell you when you are way off (and when your annoying them)

my budget is about the same as yours so, like i said, search on me and learn in 7 days, what took me 7 months

AND I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND MY BIKE

mike

feel free ot email me too, address is behind my name, if you wanna dialog off line

GOOD LUCK!!!

Stand back

really??

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    Like Josh I ride my Gemini with 7 and 7 all over the place,
    You take 7 and 7 with you everywhere? Doesn't it gunk up your camelbak?
    I spose sometimes maybe it helps to have some liquid courage...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

have you gotten close?

Quote Originally Posted by wildman
    do a search on my username. you think YOUR anal!!!!

HA! ive been shopping for over 7 months! SEVEN!!!! you'll find all the info you need in my posts (skip the "dog on the trails" one, i got a little side tracked there ).

ive learned a TON in the last months and you will definitely benefit from my posts. the guys here are GREAT in their input. they dont pull any punches, they tell you when you are way off (and when your annoying them)

my budget is about the same as yours so, like i said, search on me and learn in 7 days, what took me 7 months

AND I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND MY BIKE

mike

feel free ot email me too, address is behind my name, if you wanna dialog off line

GOOD LUCK!!!
    i think i am getting close. i am just scared to get the new bike and immediately be wishing i had something different. which bikes are you leaning towards?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Ouch!!!

(provided that you choose a bike within 6 months, and are not constantly asking information from us that is readily available elsewhere - sorry about the tangent, inside joke...)[/QUOTE]

doh!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

id say im 75% there

(does that mean i have 2.3 months left??)

no, im pretty close. i know what i want, just haveing a hard time finding an test ride on one. parking lot rides are not enough.

when i first moved out here from bright, sunny, cincinnati (i mean, dull and gloomy). i hadnt been riding for about 8 years (injury, then never got back into it really, took up other things), but then i found palmer park, broke out my rigid univega and proceded to beat the crap out of my wrists and arms and back.

FS is the way to go, screw all the talk about "fine lines" and "finesse". im a dirt biker. i just wanna go, slam thru the trails, and not think about whats ahead. so im looking for a bike that can take the beating but keep on ticking, i mean, climbing and pedaling.

they are all right in saying there are a ton of good bikes out there. but you MUST decide what you wanna ride, how you wanna ride, what type. figure that out, then go shopping. in my case, the shopping actually helped me decide how i wanted to ride, just by learning the terms, jargon, etc and finding that im basically an XXC (or extreme crosss country, a term im trying to coin, but doesnt seem to be taking off too well) rider.

yeah, figure YOU out first, then the bike. there is plenty of time. and if your anal like you said you were, and like me, patience is the key.

where you located anyways, and from?

mike

I can't ride 45!
    Another vote for a Yeti -- probably the 575 for CO. Designed by local folk (though built elsewhere) for the local trails. You can stop by the Yeti factory in Golden and take one of their bikes for a day of riding on trails like Apex or Mathew/Winters and Dakota Ridge. The AS-R would be ideal for the GF. You can talk to singlespeedster (Anthony) who is a manager at Wheatridge if you are interested in purchasing after the test.

jason

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kokothemonkey
    The 575 also is a consideration and it's cheaper than the ASR so you could max it out on components and have a pretty light setup with more travel. I've never ridden one but knowing yeti I am sure it will not dissapoint either.
    This spring on Green Mountain, there was a serious Yeti contingent out. The 575 seems to be just about everywhere here. But that's about the only trend I've noticed - the bikes on the trails here vary widely - just like the riders. I see lots of hardtails still, and lots of nice FS bikes (come to think of it, on some rides I've noticed alot of SC Blurs). Anyway...

locked - time out
    (provided that you choose a bike within 6 months, and are not constantly asking information from us that is readily available elsewhere - sorry about the tangent, inside joke...)

doh!
    Alright, alright - I guess my funny really wasn't that funny.

Time is not a road.
    I've lived here for 3 years or so and I've gone thru several incarnations of bike, starting with a short travel (3.5" rear/3" front) bike and then upping to 4" front/rear, adding bigger tires, and then 5" up front, back to 4" and smaller tires, sticky tires, faster tires, coil shock, air shock and just about every combo in between where I could modify my bike to the trails I ride.

Here's what I'm resigned to now: 4" rear, coil, 5" front, coil, 2.35 tires, sticky. For me, this is the best trail bike for the Northern Front Range. Climbs well, descends well, is fast enough and has enough bounce.

If I had your budget, though, this is what I'd consider:

Yeti 575
    Titus Moto Lite
    Titus Switchblade
    Turner 5 Spot
    Iron Horse Mark III (I really like the looks of this bike)
    Ellsworth Id
    Giant Reign
    Specailized FSR XC 120

I think 5" is the best middle of the road right now between climbing and descending. Good luck! Wish I had a budget!

user-created

5x5

I'd say go with a Trek Liquid. Them Wisconsin boys have really got 'um dialed in this year. Go with the 65 for a bit more bit-hit compliance, or the 55 for general mountain-goat lightness.

All bikes under 35 pounds are lightweight. IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

awesome commentary

you guys are really helping. by the way, i live in johnstown and work in longmont. so hall ranch will probably be a weekly ride one day after work and lory/horsetooth/devil's backbone another weekly ride too. then i want to head up into the high country once a week as well. when i first started looking, i was dying for the 'o4 stumpjumper fsr pro that wheat ridge had on their website, but that is gone and i don't like the '05 septune thing or the cheaper bikes they offer. so i started looking at the blur. the bike seemed too small for me for some reason and kinda fragile. then my chick found she liked the motolite x-small so that is what she is set on. i was recently stuck between committing to a yeti (don't know whether 575 or asr-sl), building up a burner frame from supergo, trying a flux or 5-spot from redstone in lyons, or trusting this larry guy and getting a ventana. now i am considering opening my options back up to to the prophet or the giant. finally about the ironhorse. for some reason i am thinking this is a cheapo company brand like forte is to performance so i haven't even considered that type. is this accurate?

locked - time out
    ironhorse. for some reason i am thinking this is a cheapo company brand like forte is to performance so i haven't even considered that type. is this accurate?
    No - not at all. IH makes some nice stuff, and I'd have no reservations about riding one of their bikes. I'm not sure why they are so cheap (though someone here probably knows), and while they do not possess the greatest bling factor (like Giant does ) they are spec'd very well for the price and seem to be every bit as good as many of the more expensive offerings from the competition.

Time is not a road.
    I'd agree. Though Supergo is always blowing them out price wise, they don't seem inferior to any other bike out there. I think several of last years champion riders (pro) were on Iron Horse bikes. And the DW Link seems to get some high praise from those that ride it. Seems as though Giant has copied it to some degree.

One thing about Giant, though, that I don't like is the Integrated Headset. If you look on the Chris King website, they do a good write up about the Integrated HS and it seems to make sense. Lots of stress on the frame instead of a replaceable component. Something to consider.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator

Larry is great

...or trusting this larry guy and getting a ventana.
    A lot of us on this site have ordered from him at some point and I've never heard anyone say anything but excellent things. He's a great rider, he knows his stuff and he's a nice guy. He also sells Turners, although I'm not sure if he stocks them for demo rides.

K (hopes to order either an X5 or a 5 Spot from Larry early next year--if the company pays profit sharing... )
    Last edited by kristian; 03-23-2005 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fixed typo

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

no worries!!!

Alright, alright - I guess my funny really wasn't that funny.
    at least i know you think of me from time to time

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

i second that!

larry was very helpful in my early stages. and he knows a ton. and like kristian said, ive seen several posts on here of people ordering from him and having no regrets.

my only regret is that the line of bikes hes sells doesnt seem to fit my needs. i wish it would have, the el chamuco was a very nice ride (down hill but i would offer him the business in a second! even tho he was 120 miles from me!!!!

keep looking, and dont be in a hurry. im compiling a great data base on denver shops and plan on hitting several this saturday. if you wanna copy of hte excel file, email me (email's behind my name) and ill send you what i got.

see my other post if you are interested in the shop info from others:

denver bike shop info post

-tiredman

i mean,

-wildman

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

if you say 575, then...

what's better for colorado the 575 or the titus motolite?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

yeti

which is better suited for colorado? asr-sl or 575?

mtbr member
    you've used that pic in other posts, where is that trail?

mike
    It's the Waldo Canyon Trail just west of Colorado Springs. Remember how damp it was last spring? The trail was like a jungle and we rode up into the clouds. I love that pic...it's the only vanity pic I've taken of my bike.

It's a cool 7 mile keyhole loop with about 1,300ft of climbing. Mostly tight singletrack with a few techie rock outcroppings. A long screaming DH run back to the bottom...just beware of hikers! Great views of Colorado Springs. Don't even think about trying it mid-day on a Saturday though...it gets choked with hikers darn early.

Many more pics here.

I'll have a full write up on the site sometime this summer.
    Last edited by bikeCOLORADO; 03-24-2005 at 12:51 PM.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

rr
    I don't do PC
    which is better suited for colorado? asr-sl or 575?
    Depends on how you ride, the 575 seems more versatile as an only bike, thats what I would get. The asr is the XC one correct?, I would rather ride a 575 than the XC version on the CT for sure.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Yeti

If I lived in colorado I would definately go to see the Yeti Guys, I was directed to the Yeti 575 by my bike shop who knew what bike i should be riding, I wanted a strong do it all bike that was lighter than 30lbs that would take a good beating. I have had a few bikes in the last year, from the Epic to a gemini 2000 with an Enduro 04 S-works, they sold Prophets and the Turner 5 spot, I was put off from the prophet because of my problems with two geminis. and they were a bit overpriced in the UK. I'd say I know a bit about bikes but for my rocky riding I have the 575 for everything and a Cove handjob on order for my night riding and a change when my mood takes me on the hardtail ride.