Results 1 to 81 of 81
  1. #1
    giddy up
    Reputation: papawheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    275

    29er Market Share?

    Does anyone know approximately what percent of 29er's make up the mountain bike market? This would include SS, Hardtails, FS, doesn't matter. The whole market of mountain bikes.

    I'm curious to see where the market will go. I don't think 29ers will ever pose a serious threat to the 26er but it would make sense to have this option for the medium to tall riders. Not to mention its a damn fun bike to ride.
    Rub n Tiz'zug

  2. #2
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,635
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    Does anyone know approximately what percent of 29er's make up the mountain bike market? This would include SS, Hardtails, FS, doesn't matter. The whole market of mountain bikes.

    I'm curious to see where the market will go. I don't think 29ers will ever pose a serious threat to the 26er but it would make sense to have this option for the medium to tall riders. Not to mention its a damn fun bike to ride.
    650b is the way of the future.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  3. #3
    Got single track/speed?
    Reputation: chuckjoga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205
    In my personal off-road stable, 66.666666% 29er and singlespeed. I'd guess that the % for FS/multi-speed is lower than singlespeed.

    29ers with fat tires make a fully rigid worth riding.

    -Chuck

  4. #4
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    Does anyone know approximately what percent of 29er's make up the mountain bike market? This would include SS, Hardtails, FS, doesn't matter. The whole market of mountain bikes.

    I'm curious to see where the market will go. I don't think 29ers will ever pose a serious threat to the 26er but it would make sense to have this option for the medium to tall riders. Not to mention its a damn fun bike to ride.
    29ers make up the exact same percentage of the MTB market place as nancy-boys do in the human population. About 7 to 10%.

    Coincidence?

    I don't think so.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  5. #5
    giddy up
    Reputation: papawheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    275
    DWF, so you are suggesting that riders with 29ers are nancy-boys? WTF are you talking about? I'm pretty damn sure that the fellas I roll with on 29ers (SS or not) are not nancy boys.
    Rub n Tiz'zug

  6. #6
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    DWF, so you are suggesting that riders with 29ers are nancy-boys?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    WTF are you talking about?
    Nancy-boys who ride 29ers.

    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    I'm pretty damn sure that the fellas I roll with on 29ers (SS or not) are not nancy boys.
    Do they have 700c wheels on their MTBs and call their bikes "29ers" instead of "mountain bikes?"

    Yes?

    The matter is cut & dried.

    They're nancy-boys.

    I rest my case.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  7. #7
    simple
    Reputation: 69erSycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    665
    Awesome!

  8. #8
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Yes.<snip>
    I rest my case.
    Pure gold, I tell ya... pure GOLD.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    OT, but... PW, I just noticed that your picture thingy, whateverthef@ckit'scalled is Bubble's! Sweeet, I just got turned on to TPB... funny as f@ck!


    "I made it to grade ten, and passed with flying carpets!"
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  10. #10
    Got single track/speed?
    Reputation: chuckjoga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205

    I guess Anvil Bikes can't make a 29er

    I don't know what DWF's affiliation is with Anvil, but his response is obviously a troll.

    Call me a nancy boy. I'm sure that on my 29er singlespeed, I can hang with 90%+ of the non-nancy boys.

    -Chuck

  11. #11
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga
    I don't know what DWF's affiliation is with Anvil
    Nor does he.

  12. #12
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    855
    I will never buy a 26 inch wheeled bike again. I think that as time goes by, more people will realize the benefits of bigger wheels and their market share will keep climbing up - until the smaller wheels will be history.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  13. #13
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga
    I don't know what DWF's affiliation is with Anvil, but his response is obviously a troll.

    Call me a nancy boy. I'm sure that on my 29er singlespeed, I can hang with 90%+ of the non-nancy boys.

    -Chuck
    Woohoo! 29er chest-thumping!!


  14. #14
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    I will never buy a 26 inch wheeled bike again. I think that as time goes by, more people will realize the benefits of bigger wheels and their market share will keep climbing up - until the smaller wheels will be history.
    Hey... I think I heard this *exact* statement back in '97.

  15. #15
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,258
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga
    I'm sure that on my 29er singlespeed, I can hang with 90%+ of the non-nancy boys.

    -Chuck
    Yup. Nancy-boy. Not a hair below the neck, neither, right?

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  16. #16
    Slopestyle Rider
    Reputation: joelalamo45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    I think that as time goes by, more people will realize the benefits of bigger wheels and their market share will keep climbing up - until the smaller wheels will be history.
    Spoken like a real nancy.

    26" wheels aren't going anywhere, ESPECIALLY with the DH/Freeride crowd. Why would you want a larger diameter wheel which is way more prone to getting destroyed when doing anything big?

    I have always thought that most guys ride 29'ers just to be different... I could be wrong, but most guys I see rollin 29's are, well... hmmm.

  17. #17
    giddy up
    Reputation: papawheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    275
    DEF, I would like to personally invite you to join us tonight in Lyons for Redstone Tuesday Night Ride. Be at the shop at 6pm. Oh and dress warm. You can witness it for yourself.

    Jugdish, TPB could be the greatest show ever created.
    Rub n Tiz'zug

  18. #18
    Got single track/speed?
    Reputation: chuckjoga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Yup. Nancy-boy. Not a hair below the neck, neither, right?

    _MK

    Nah. Less weight and wind resistance.

    -Nancy-boy

  19. #19
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Spoken like a real nancy.

    26" wheels aren't going anywhere, ESPECIALLY with the DH/Freeride crowd. Why would you want a larger diameter wheel which is way more prone to getting destroyed when doing anything big?

    I have always thought that most guys ride 29'ers just to be different... I could be wrong, but most guys I see rollin 29's are, well... hmmm.
    Well you do have a point with the folks who do jumps and stuff.
    But for me, the big wheels have made me a better rider - meaning I can ride techy stuff better than I could in the past.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  20. #20
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,258
    I wonder if 29in wheels will one day share the same spot in history books as the 24in ones.
    It's an interesting trend, nevertheless. It appears that we have gone through this "evolution" and we settled on 700c wheels for the road bikes. A 26in wheel with a proper MTB tire has approximately the same outer circumference as a 700c wheel with a road tire. Coincidence?

    Now, if you're particularly short or particularly tall, other wheel sizes may be appropriate, this may go more towards your strength and pedaling style and the length of your thighs, etc.

    650b for MTBs is a long ways off. Fork manufacturers just spent a fortune tooling up for the 29ers. 650b isn't even on the radar at Fox. Until some fork manufacturer picks up the ball, frame manufacturers won't be willing to invest their tooling funds into the idea. Not to mention tires.

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  21. #21
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    <snip>
    But for me, more travel has made me a better rider - meaning I can ride techy stuff better than I could in the past.
    Fixed!


  22. #22
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    DEF, I would like to personally invite you to join us tonight in Lyons for Redstone Tuesday Night Ride. Be at the shop at 6pm. Oh and dress warm. You can witness it for yourself.
    I don't ride with nancy-boys who can't hang with a real MTB. Lyon's is cool though and I like guys named Dave.

    Edit: Now seems to be a good time to mention that dual suspension is for nancy-boys too. A dual suspension "29er" though? Egads, frikken Liberaces!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  23. #23
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,269
    We've got some Liberaces among us for certain. Fun stuff, too. Going to be a good ride tonight if you want to come up, Don
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  24. #24
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    We've got some Liberaces among us for certain. Fun stuff, too. Going to be a good ride tonight if you want to come up, Don
    Damn. I'm busted.

    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  25. #25
    giddy up
    Reputation: papawheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    275
    That is funny shizzle.....Come on Dawny boy, come ride with us. The ironic thing is my FS is a 26" and I am the Nancy-boy in the group. So there goes your theory.

    Whoooohooooo
    Rub n Tiz'zug

  26. #26
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    That is funny shizzle.....Come on Dawny boy, come ride with us. The ironic thing is my FS is a 26" and I am the Nancy-boy in the group. So there goes your theory.

    Whoooohooooo
    You do realize that when I say 29ers are for nancy-boys (they are) and dual suspension bikes are for sissies (they are), that I'm kidding (I'm not), right?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  27. #27
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You do realize that when I say 29ers are for nancy-boys (they are) and dual suspension bikes are for sissies (they are), that I'm kidding (I'm not), right?
    Quit being such a pvssy.


  28. #28
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Quit being such a pvssy.

    Tactics. You must occasionally feign retreat to draw them in....
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105
    Hilarious, DWF I think you should go over to the 29 forum and tell those zealots they're all a bunch of Nancy boys. Those guys would freak the hell out like their hair was on fire.

    I have no idea what the percentage is, but it's getting bigger every year. I ride a 29 and 26, both steel hardtails, and yeah I'm a nancy boy.
    “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” - John Lennon

  30. #30
    "I want it now!"
    Reputation: Veruca Salt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    113
    Cool, I'm a nancy-girl and a Liberace! Now I have an identity when I ride my 29ers!

  31. #31
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    I'd consider riding a 29'er, just like I'd consider riding a ss (to try something different, like teleprompting), but in no way does that mean my 5'4" wife, and those near her stature and pain tolerance, are ever going to be convinced to switch. Save the 26'er eugoogoly for some other fad whose time has come...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  32. #32
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    I want a 29er so I look like a normal human when I ride a bike.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

  33. #33
    Now with 20% more fat!!
    Reputation: JSD303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I want a 29er so I look like a normal human when I ride a bike.
    Do you really think having 29" wheels can accomplish a feat that incredible? I mean 29ers are great and all, but making YOU look like a normal human? Please!!!

  34. #34
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    whats the best 29er tire for the ...?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hairylegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga

    29ers with fat tires make a fully rigid worth riding.

    -Chuck
    Yes they sure do. I'm even breaking out an emoticon for this one...

  36. #36
    @2whlfun
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    536
    Is the turning radius much wider/farther for 29ers? Are they toughter to get around switchbacks?

  37. #37
    Got single track/speed?
    Reputation: chuckjoga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman
    Is the turning radius much wider/farther for 29ers? Are they toughter to get around switchbacks?
    Sometimes. I have 2 and they handle very differently. It probably depends on the manufacturer. In general they are a little slower handling and more stable feeling. After you get used to it, switchbacks may even get a little easier. At least if you have a rigid or Lefty fork. My Cannondale 1FG handles slower than the rigid, but on switchbacks the front end is so solid that I trust it more than my FS with a Fox Talas 32.

    -Chuck

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Hey... I think I heard this *exact* statement back in '97.
    Maybe, but how many frame/fork/wheel manufacturers were catering to them? Next to none. Now all the big dogs are rolling out 29er equipment, so I don't think it's just a passing fad this time around.

    I don't think one's better than the other, it's just a matter of what feels better to you as an individual rider. I rode 26 up until this Fall. Now that I've been riding 29 though, I just sold my 26er in favor of another 29er. The 29er just feels and riders better for me.

  39. #39
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,121
    At 6'7" ive been intrigued by 29'ers, but had heard that spoke failure was an issue with riders over 220 lbs (insert fat ass joke here). Any thoughts/experience with this?
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Yes.


    Nancy-boys who ride 29ers.


    Do they have 700c wheels on their MTBs and call their bikes "29ers" instead of "mountain bikes?"

    Yes?

    The matter is cut & dried.

    They're nancy-boys.

    I rest my case.
    Dear sir, you have officially won the internet.

  41. #41
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by CubeMonkey
    Now all the big dogs are rolling out 29er equipment, so I don't think it's just a passing fad this time around.
    It's not going anywhere; big wheels are here to stay for sure. I was racing the Winter Park race series in since 1999 on a 29er and was always "that weird 29er guy" and now if you do that race 20% or more racers I bet are on the big hoops. They just make sense for our fast, wide-open trails and terrain. Where I ride in Fort Collins I’d bet 15% or more of the bikes are 29ers now. Most of those are still hardtails and singlespeeds even…most haven’t even gotten to FS bikes yet. So the 29er FS stage is still in its infancy.

    The technology available now and coming down the pipeline this next season is really exciting for 29ers. For instance, we (Niner) has a 5.5" trail bike coming out in March. The speed this thing carries over the chunk is mind blowing, and it pedals consistently in all three chain rings. It pedals uphill like a shorter travel XC bike too.

    Also, saying 29ers are "heavy" or "slow" is a thing of the past. There is a lot you can do to build a light 29er. More light stuff is on the way! I'm on some Stans prototype hoops that are 1360 grams. These things are lighter than the Mavic Ksyrium SL's on my road bike. We're also coming out with a carbon fork, which will take a significant amount of weight off as well if you like to ride a rigid steel fork. My 1x9 pictured below is 19.2 pounds. It's lighter than my road bike and I can take even more weight off if I geeked out on the brakes, tires, saddle, grips, etc. If you've ever up in Fort Collins and ride a large you are free to check it out. This bike dispels every "myth" there is about 29ers being too slow and heavy.

    Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  42. #42
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    They just make sense for our fast, wide-open trails and terrain.
    I think you have CO confused w/ somewhere in the midwest, like MI.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  43. #43
    giddy up
    Reputation: papawheelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    It's not going anywhere; big wheels are here to stay for sure. I was racing the Winter Park race series in since 1999 on a 29er and was always "that weird 29er guy" and now if you do that race 20% or more racers I bet are on the big hoops. They just make sense for our fast, wide-open trails and terrain. Where I ride in Fort Collins I’d bet 15% or more of the bikes are 29ers now. Most of those are still hardtails and singlespeeds even…most haven’t even gotten to FS bikes yet. So the 29er FS stage is still in its infancy.
    I totally agree that 29ers aren't going anywhere, I sure the hell hope not. But I still am curious approximately what is the market share today and where does "Niner" see it going? Obviously technology plays a huge part in this and who knows what lies in store but my personal opinion is that we will see both options for every bike out there. Kind of like Small, Medium, Large, Medium 29er, Large 29er, and Fat boy 29er. This is good for the consumer and with that said, do you see Niner making a bike called the "Sixer" (never say never).

    Peace
    Rub n Tiz'zug

  44. #44
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I think you have CO confused w/ somewhere in the midwest, like MI.

    Well I wouldn't say we have super technical, rocky, rooty, tight trees. When I average 11.5 mph on a 3 hour ride in CO compared with 6.9 mph in Maryland...that's substantial.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  45. #45
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Well I wouldn't say we have super technical, rocky, rooty, tight trees. When I average 11.5 mph on a 3 hour ride in CO compared with 6.9 mph in Maryland...that's substantial.
    Maybe all the extra oxygen was making you dizzy.

  46. #46
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Well I wouldn't say we have super technical, rocky, rooty, tight trees. When I average 11.5 mph on a 3 hour ride in CO compared with 6.9 mph in Maryland...that's substantial.
    There are definitely fast sections of trail around, but not much I'd call "wide open", which is the reason I haven't missed having a big ring since '04.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  47. #47
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    Cool, I'm a nancy-girl and a Liberace! Now I have an identity when I ride my 29ers!
    That's cool. Nancy-girls are hawt!

    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  48. #48
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,777

    120%

    Fixed Nancy Boy here......
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hairylegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    536
    Let's get this out of the way. I ride both sizes (like many people) and I'm a Nancy boy regardless of my wheel size... but I'm an unshaven Nancy boy. A Nancy Bear if you will.

    The people who believe that there's going to be only one wheel size in he near future are kidding themselves. 29" wheels have their advantages and are fun. 26" wheels have their advantages and are fun.

    If 26" wheels are doomed to be replaced by 29", then why hasn't this happened in the moto world? To the 29er cult members- I mean this is as an honest question, not a smart ass "suck on that" one.

    Maybe some of the throttle twisting crowd can shed some light on this. I'm not a moto guy, but it seems like if 29" wheels are better for all manner of mountain bikes, then the moto world would at least have some rumblings of a 29" movement. It could be that I'm just not looking in the right places but I just don't see any big wheel motocross bikes in Moab, Crested Butte, etc.

    For that matter, I don't see a lot of 29" wheels in Moab period. Some to be sure, but not nearly in the same distribution as I do here.

    Another reason to love living here- you can use either wheel size as your primary ride, or you can own both and pick each time you leave the front door. Either way- you win!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF


    Do they have 700c wheels on their MTBs and call their bikes "29ers" instead of "mountain bikes?"

    Yes?

    Do they have 7+ inches of travel and call their bikes DH? Yes
    Do they have 6-7 inches of travel and call their bikes FR? Yes
    Do they have 5-6 inches of travel and call their bikes AM? Yes
    Do they have 4-5 inches of travel and call their bikes trailbikes? Yes
    Do they have 0-4 inches of travel and call their bikes XC bikes? Yes
    Do they 1" travel on their bikes and call their bikes softtail? Yes
    Do they 0" of travel on their bikes and call their bikes HT? Yes
    Do they hit big jumps and call their bikes DJ? Yes
    Do they race side by side and call their bikes 4x? Yes
    Do they have 1 gear ratio and call their bikes SS? Yes
    Do they have 1 gear ratio and a fixed rear hub and call their bikes fixies? Yes
    Do they have 700c wheels and call their bikes 29ers? Yes

    The matter is cut and dried.
    We're all Nancy boys and girls on two wheels.
    What difference does it make what people call their bikes.
    If you're gonna hate, be and equal opportunity hater.
    For the record I have a SS and a Liberace Nancy boy bike .

  51. #51
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    I totally agree that 29ers aren't going anywhere, I sure the hell hope not. But I still am curious approximately what is the market share today and where does "Niner" see it going? Obviously technology plays a huge part in this and who knows what lies in store but my personal opinion is that we will see both options for every bike out there. Kind of like Small, Medium, Large, Medium 29er, Large 29er, and Fat boy 29er. This is good for the consumer and with that said, do you see Niner making a bike called the "Sixer" (never say never).

    Peace
    First, we're a 29er MOUNTAIN bike company, so you'll probably never see a cyclocross, road, or 69er/650b. I'm not sure what the market share is...very hard to tell but Mountain Bike Action every year does a pretty large survey. In this survey there is a question "which describes your next bike" and "29er" is one of the choices. Three years ago, it was like 7%. 2 years ago it was like 12%, and this past years was 18%. So the growth is pretty nice still - I personally think 29ers are the fastest growing segment of high end bike sales aside from the big 6+ inch 26" wheels stuff. Technology does play a large part of it. Stans ZTR Flow, Arch, and 355 rims in 29" format allow anyone to run tubeless (this was a big sticking point 3-4 years ago when nobody wanted to ride tubes in 29er wheels coming off of 26" UST) FOX coming on board was pretty huge as well - Rock Shox already had a great fork (Reba) but again 26" holdouts finally caved when FOX came out with their F29 model.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  52. #52
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    The people who believe that there's going to be only one wheel size in he near future are kidding themselves. 29" wheels have their advantages and are fun. 26" wheels have their advantages and are fun.
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    If 26" wheels are doomed to be replaced by 29", then why hasn't this happened in the moto world? To the 29er cult members- I mean this is as an honest question, not a smart ass "suck on that" one.

    Maybe some of the throttle twisting crowd can shed some light on this. I'm not a moto guy, but it seems like if 29" wheels are better for all manner of mountain bikes, then the moto world would at least have some rumblings of a 29" movement. It could be that I'm just not looking in the right places but I just don't see any big wheel motocross bikes in Moab, Crested Butte, etc.
    You don't see many 29ers in Crested Butte? Man, they were born there!

    Well this is really an apple to oranges comparison regarding motos. There are design limitations to motos as well here I'm sure. Why do moto's use a bigger front tire and smaller rear? If you are in Moab and had the choice of renting a Toyota FJ Cruiser from MOAB Offroad with 31" tires or one with 33" tires...which one would you rent?

    Bigger wheels on mtb's just roll over stuff easier, have more contact with the ground, and an increased gyroscopic effect that all help to improve the ride quality of a mountain bike. The advantages that a 29" wheel gives the rider are advantages that will occur for everybody riding a 29" wheel, regardless of their height. Simply put, a 5'4" rider and a 6'4" rider can both gain from the benefits of the larger wheel: more stability, more traction, better control, and a smoother ride. The wheels don't know how tall the rider is on board. It is a major mis-conception that 29" wheel bikes are for tall people only. Part of this misconception also lies in another misconception that the rider is higher off the ground on a 29" wheel bike (thus making it harder for smaller riders to mount). This is simply not true. The bottom bracket height on a 29" wheel and a comparable 26" wheel are roughly the same so the rider is the same distance from the ground on either wheel size. This is actually one of the benefits of a 29" wheel. Since the axles are higher off the ground, but the bb remains in the same position, the relative position of the bb to the axles is LOWER on a 29" wheel bike, making the riders center of gravity LOWER in the frame, which increases stability.

    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    For that matter, I don't see a lot of 29" wheels in Moab period. Some to be sure, but not nearly in the same distribution as I do here.
    A lot of it has to do with 29er full suspension designs really not being around too long or in big numbers. Most 29ers out there are still hardtails and singlespeeds, many 29er converts are just now getting on 29" FS bikes. Also, Moab tends to kill bikes. 29er FS manufacturers are just are now getting some bikes out there that are burly enough to tackle Moab. Correct me if I am wrong, but every time I am in Moab it seems like 4.5-6" travel bikes are the norm. Our RIP9 is phenomenal in Moab and really loves to eat up the chunk. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...21952#poststop

    Also, the technology is really changing and Niner is pushing the envelope. We took our old RIP9 frame (which got 5 star reviews from all 5 major publications) and totally redesigned it. It went from more XC Bike designed around a 100mm fork to a BURLY trail bike designed around a Fox F120mm with 1.5" tapered steerer tube. (details here http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...8&postcount=24 ) In fact the only shared part is the seat tube. 1.5 tapered headtube technology, hydroformed top tube and massive downtube (creates a huge surface area which makes a wicked stiff front end) and one piece linkages. Steve (our co-founder) from Niner lives in Denver and did a lot of road trips to Moab to test the new RIP9 design. I'll never forket the time he called me over the summer and said "dude, this new RIP9 is a Moab killer!" after just riding Porc rim.

    If that wasn't enough, we have a 5.5" WFO9 coming out in March. Another bike ideal for Moab.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=463761

    Also, ever hear of Uranium Cycles in Moab? They are a new shop that opened last spring. Anyway, Marshall has 6 of these Root Beer ano beauties on order for his rental fleet due to him in February:
    <img src="http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=400476&stc=1&d=1224043 176">


    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    . Another reason to love living here- you can use either wheel size as your primary ride, or you can own both and pick each time you leave the front door. Either way- you win!

    Choices are good!
    Last edited by 2melow; 12-01-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  53. #53
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Choices are good!
    Having a choice is good. Not all choices are good.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  54. #54
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,895
    Omg I wear the same dress when I ride my 29er.

  55. #55
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Omg I wear the same dress when I ride my 29er.
    It would be much sharper if it lacked the floral pattern. I could see Palin wearing it. The 5 O'clock shadow is a nice touch though!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  56. #56
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    Anything that makes the ride more fun and comfy is a good thing, I think my FS 29er is the best trail bike I've owned, def will not go back now that I've seen the nancy boy way.

    Would love to try that WFO out in Moab, what's the wheelbase on that thing in an XL?, talk about a plow bike!

  57. #57
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Do they have 7+ inches of travel and call their bikes DH? Yes
    Do they have 6-7 inches of travel and call their bikes FR? Yes
    Do they have 5-6 inches of travel and call their bikes AM? Yes
    Do they have 4-5 inches of travel and call their bikes trailbikes? Yes
    Do they have 0-4 inches of travel and call their bikes XC bikes? Yes
    Do they 1" travel on their bikes and call their bikes softtail? Yes
    Do they 0" of travel on their bikes and call their bikes HT? Yes
    Do they hit big jumps and call their bikes DJ? Yes
    Do they race side by side and call their bikes 4x? Yes
    Do they have 1 gear ratio and call their bikes SS? Yes
    Do they have 1 gear ratio and a fixed rear hub and call their bikes fixies? Yes
    Do they have 700c wheels and call their bikes 29ers? Yes
    I still call 'em all mountain bikes. It's just so much easier.

  58. #58
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Anything that makes the ride more fun and comfy is a good thing, I think my FS 29er is the best trail bike I've owned, def will not go back now that I've seen the nancy boy way.

    Would love to try that WFO out in Moab, what's the wheelbase on that thing in an XL?, talk about a plow bike!
    XL would be 46.7" (M=45.1, L=45.9)

    I'm no downhill speedster like some of you guys, but I went down one of my local descents that is about 2 miles long and babyhead sized rocks the whole way down...I felt like Brian Lopes going down this thing I was carrying so much speed yet in total control.

    Brett
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  59. #59
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,870
    Though I should contribute this rendering of the proprietor of Anvil aka DWF
    Attached Images Attached Images

  60. #60
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Though I should contribute this rendering of the proprietor of Anvil aka DWF
    I don't know, what do you think, did you like my hair better then?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  61. #61
    Stayin' Puft
    Reputation: canyonrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    ...I like guys named Dave...
    And... riders with larger wheels are the nancy-boys?

    Hmm...Moderator, we may have a predator in our midst...or maybe just a bad case of wheel-envy...in a creepy kind of a way.

  62. #62
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I still call 'em all mountain bikes. It's just so much easier.
    Amen, brotha. None of my mtn bike are sold as "standard" mountain bikes, but that's 90% of the use they see, so...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  63. #63
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,854
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    Does anyone know approximately what percent of 29er's make up the mountain bike market? This would include SS, Hardtails, FS, doesn't matter. The whole market of mountain bikes.

    I'm curious to see where the market will go. I don't think 29ers will ever pose a serious threat to the 26er but it would make sense to have this option for the medium to tall riders. Not to mention its a damn fun bike to ride.
    This is a stupid thread.

    The answer is less that 1%.

    If you go with the start of when mtn bikes were 'started' and how many have been sold by then (Last I heard was around 50k a year in the US, and this was 1993 numbers). Lets say average of 70k per year between 1986 and 2008, that's like 1,540M 26ers out there. 1% of that would be 15,400 bikes.... uhm, I doubt it.

    Conclusion... ...Why does it matter?

  64. #64
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    <snip>

    Conclusion... ...Why does it matter?
    It absolutely doesn't.

  65. #65
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You're close to getting crucified here.

    You'd best calm yourself.

    Be calm as a Hindu cow.

    Open your mind and listen to the universal truth; Gaia will whisper it to your heart.

    Nothing is more important to your mountain biking experience than that extra inch & a half of tire radius.
    I ride a Giant NRS, so pretty much everyone disregards whatever I say about bikes.

  66. #66
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    It absolutely doesn't.
    You're close to getting crucified here.

    You'd best calm yourself.

    Be calm as a Hindu cow.

    Open your mind and listen to the universal truth; Gaia will whisper it to your heart.

    Nothing is more important to your mountain biking experience than that extra inch & a half of tire radius.



    If you're a nancy-boy.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  67. #67
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    If that wasn't enough, we have a 5.5" WFO9 coming out in March. Another bike ideal for Moab.

    haha
    Spam! it's what's for dinner!

    The reason short people don't benefit from bigger wheels as much is the same reason that 4 cylinder jeeps with big tires don't do as well - they don't equal out to a favorable hp/ rotational weight ratio. Yeah, you can make some pretty light 29" wheels now, but at what point will they be lighter than a comparable 26" wheel? Physics says never...

    Besides, if 700c is soooo cool, then why do tri bikes still come w/ 650's?
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  68. #68
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Physics says never...
    You gotta admit, physics does talk a lot of trash, though.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

  69. #69
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    You should be banned for using the term "flow"...


  70. #70
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,854
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow

    You don't see many 29ers in Crested Butte? Man, they were born there!
    They were? I didn't realize that the first manufacturer of 29ers was located in CB... I'll have to check it out next time!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow

    A lot of it has to do with 29er full suspension designs really not being around too long or in big numbers. Most 29ers out there are still hardtails and singlespeeds, many 29er converts are just now getting on 29" FS bikes. Also, Moab tends to kill bikes. 29er FS manufacturers are just are now getting some bikes out there that are burly enough to tackle Moab. Correct me if I am wrong, but every time I am in Moab it seems like 4.5-6" travel bikes are the norm. Our RIP9 is phenomenal in Moab and really loves to eat up the chunk. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...21952#poststop
    I did ride with a guy on a RIP9 in October. He is a fantastic rider (used to ride 26ers like all of us) and did very well with this bike on Porc Rim. As for hucking and jumping, he didn't like as much as his 26er. He also hated the flow it had (but just figured that the bike was to ride him now with the longer chain stays). He did exceptionally well on the techy uphills, but only slightly better than my VPFree.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow

    Also, the technology is really changing and Niner is pushing the envelope. We took our old RIP9 frame (which got 5 star reviews from all 5 major publications) and totally redesigned it.
    If it works, why fix it?

    I don't like the 29ers because of the lack of options (tires, FORKS!, Suspension systems, and I need a slacker head angle for gawds sakes!). Things are getting better now-a-days for options. I just saw the WFO come out (can I say "you're getting closer!") and is pretty cool. Problem is I already own 2 moab killers that do as well and they flow better. Until they die, the WFO won't be getting into my quiver (yet).

  71. #71
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I ride a Giant NRS...
    You're dead to me.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  72. #72
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You're dead to me.
    Wasn't I always?

  73. #73
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Wasn't I always?
    No, but only because I like bacon.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  74. #74
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,216
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    No, but only because I like bacon.
    Don't worry... I've willed all the bacon to you.

  75. #75
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    The reason short people don't benefit from bigger wheels as much is the same reason that 4 cylinder jeeps with big tires don't do as well - they don't equal out to a favorable hp/ rotational weight ratio. Yeah, you can make some pretty light 29" wheels now, but at what point will they be lighter than a comparable 26" wheel? Physics says never...

    Besides, if 700c is soooo cool, then why do tri bikes still come w/ 650's?
    Oh boy...you know it's not all about the wheel weight, right? A lot of it is - but there are many other factors which are far more important than wheel weight.

    Regarding Tri/650: Actually... I'm not sure if you've followed it in the last 5-10 years but those guys have all but moved away from 650 - unless it is geometry related for a 52cm frame or smaller. Most of the 54cm are now even using 700c due to the lower stack height of integrated headsets. Everything has gone back to 700 because they simply roll better. (sound familiar?) It's been proven in wind tunnels 650's give you slightly better aerodynamics, but worse rolling resistance over a longer course. A smaller wheel will accelerate faster, and people came to think that 650 = faster. So that must mean the 700 wheels spool up slower - BUT - because the rotating weight increase on a 700 wheel allows the wheel to retain its speed easier. So actually once you get up to speed - though it may be slightly slower to do so - it is alot easier to keep that speed under a lower power output. http://www.triathletemag.com/Departm...heel_sizes.htm
    Check out the wheel sizes here:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...uinoxttx99ssl/
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...ies/09-da.aspx
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...09-b2-pro.aspx
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...09-b2r-fp.aspx
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...9-b2r-ttr.aspx
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...ies/09-b2.aspx
    http://www.bianchiusa.com/08_d2_crono.html
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  76. #76
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    The reason short people don't benefit from bigger wheels as much is the same reason that 4 cylinder jeeps with big tires don't do as well - they don't equal out to a favorable hp/ rotational weight ratio.
    So you're saying that short people are weaker?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  77. #77
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    They were? I didn't realize that the first manufacturer of 29ers was located in CB... I'll have to check it out next time!
    Wes Williams started it all in CB (Willits Brand Bikes) years before anyone else...but he packed up shop in 2003 or so, moved to Austin and sold Fords for a few years. Started back up and just closed up shop again.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  78. #78
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,870
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    I don't know, what do you think, did you like my hair better then?
    The hair was okay, but the poka dot utili-kilt really defined your style.

  79. #79
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    So you're saying that short people are weaker?

    If you're comparing me to someone built like my wife, yes. In general, not all people have the same mass, so those who are in comparable physical shape, and taller, generally weigh more, and are stronger.

    But this leads to a great point - strength to weight ratio: There are little kids at the climbing gym who have better weight to strength ratio than I do, and easily kick my butt climbing. But put us on comparable-weight bikes (say 40lb dh bikes), and it's no contest who can throw the bike around more easily. I never understand why people think that everyone's bikes should be the same. NO, a bigger wheeled bike will not be easier to maneuver for a 120lb person who doesn't have the strength, not to mention the leverage that a 185lb, 6'2" person does. That's why bmx bikes have 20" wheels, and little kids' bikes have smaller wheels yet. It's really not rocket science, just relative scale...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SylentK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    I've heard its a lot easier to dead sailor on those big wheels. I don't need any help with that. That's my main reason for not converting....that and its for sissies.

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBivFVR-0IQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBivFVR-0IQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

    Look at this poor sap. He can't even do a small road gap on 26" wheels. Plus he lost a shoe! What if he was on a 29" wheels? Will someone think of the children!?


    Biker? I don't even know her.

  81. #81
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,199
    If he was on a 29'er, he'd have definitely lost both shoes... and possibly his purse!
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.