Bad Andy

12/27 10 am - join us at Greenbelt Plateau

My friend Rick and I have done a winter mountain bike ride, on or around his birthday every year. This will be year 16.<O</O

It will be Sat, 12/27 at 10 am. Greenbelt Plateau parking lot - NE corner of Hiways 128 and 93. (Marshall Mesa area). Hopefully we can make it over to Springbrook. High is s'posed to be 32, so should be no mud.

This is a casual ride just for fun - so don't worry if you haven't ridden for awhile.
    Maybe fuel up afterwards somewhere.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Andy, I may down. Had a chest cold take me out last week and it continuing its fury on me this week. We'll see how I'm feeling by the weekend. I've been trapped in the house since late Thursday night and startin to get itchy for an outdoor excursion.

Think Circles!
    You guys don't mind if a SD transplant tags along do you? I haven't had a chance to do much exploring out here yet and I could use a good MTB outing.

Heathen
    How are the trails looking for this?

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    You guys don't mind if a SD transplant tags along do you? I haven't had a chance to do much exploring out here yet and I could use a good MTB outing.
    That'd be great - come on out! Let me know if you need directions or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    How are the trails looking for this?
    I drove by last night on my way home from the Christmas festivities. It was too dark to tell for sure, but looked like some snow still, but still supposed to be a high of 30, so we should be good to go. Will see how things work out!

Ride Everything
    I "rode" High Plains yesterday, and it was pretty messy in spots. Snow and ice weren't a problem, but the wheel-stopping mud was.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Think Circles!
    I'm guessing we are meeting here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...22659&t=h&z=16

Is this mostly flat ride? I'm trying to decide if i should ride the stumpjumper or the ironhorse... decisions decisions.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    I "rode" High Plains yesterday, and it was pretty messy in spots. Snow and ice weren't a problem, but the wheel-stopping mud was.
    Thanks for the info, Mark, with the high of 30 tomorrow, I am hoping we will be good. If it turns out different, we'll pack up and head farther to the hills or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    I'm guessing we are meeting here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...22659&t=h&z=16

Is this mostly flat ride? I'm trying to decide if i should ride the stumpjumper or the ironhorse... decisions decisions.
    You got it - that's where we'll meet.
    It is one of the flattest rides around!
    See you there.

mtbr member
    Drove by on friday lots of cars at both parking lots east side trail looked good should be a
    great day where ever the trail takes us... Merry Christmas

Think Circles!
    Great meeting all of you. Wish the wind hadn't pushed us out. Way to cold today for this guy!

How about tomorrow? Its supposed to be close to 50 Degrees!

Bad Andy
    Dave, it was good meeting you, hopefully we can actually RIDE together next time!
    As reported in other threads, the wind at the Greenbelt Plateau parking lot today was unreal. Couldn't even hear each other yelling unless you were standing right by them. 7 of us showed up for this ride anyway, and schnauzers was just returning to the parking lot when we arrived. It took us awhile to get ready, and while a few of us straggled, the others started out heading north on Greenbelt, and turned around at the top of the hill. We met them at the gate, and they headed out to search relief from the wind, and/or a possible attempt at Chimney. 4 of us decided to try heading over to the West side of 93, and see if the trees gave us any help, but we never made it that far. The wind blew 2 of us off the trail a couple times (both of us at about 200 lbs), and we decided to bag it as well. 3 of us went to Morrison and ate at Blue Cow, then headed to LOTB. The lower flat part was packed down snow, and we just finished the flat part, and cimbed for maybe 1/2 mile. It was much better weather there, but still cold and windy, but at least rideable. It will be ugly next week as the temps rise though, and I would recommend staying away from LOTB. Someone had ridden it recently, and rutted it up a litttle in quite a few spots.
    I've known the wind gets after up there at the Greenbelt/Marshall area for a long time, but learned it 1st hand today!

Heathen
    After trying to convince Flyer to leave the warmth of his home for LOTB, I gave up and attempted GM from my house. My plan was to just go to the tower and back. I didn't make it. Once I got on top of the last ridge before the gravel road, the wind was too intense. I made it about 100 yards before the right side of my head froze and I was in too much pain to go any farther. By the time I made it back to the trail going down, it was the left side of my head. Guess it's time for either a helmet cover or a wind block beenie. High 20's and gusts in the 40's is just too d@mn much.

Members who have read this thread: 0