Wheelset Choice Help Please ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Wheelset Choice Help Please ???

I am 6'-1" at 305lbs. I am a rec/weekend rider that does light trail and street riding to and from trails. I ride a 29er 2012 Giant XTC 2.
    I am looking to replace my stock wheelset for a stronger set.

Any advice on which wheelset is best ???

Option #1 - Croft Race DH wheels on Novartec Hubs, 32 spoke , 24mm inner rim width for $200 (comes w/tires)

OR

Option #2 - WTB Frequency i25 wheels on Gravity by Joytech Hubs, 32 spoke and 25mm inner rim width also for $200 (comes w/tires)

Thanks, Gerry

This place needs an enema
    You can sort of expect problems with either of those hubs within some (un)reasonable amount of time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks Mike.

Anyone out there have any experience with these ?
    OR
    Can anyone recommend a budget set of wheels for a casual non-hardcore big/heavy rider ?

This place needs an enema
    I want to put this here so that you understand why I wrote what I did above:

Big Wheel Building: The Clyde (wheel) Conundrum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Mikesee is right on point. I started out riding a cheap Rockhopper. Had a blast and broke stuff cuz I wasn't smooth. I started to get better and kept breaking stuff. Before I knew it I had a Chris King/Stans Flow EX wheelset on a $500 Rockhopper.

I have also learned that stock suspension components just aren't made for big guys, regardless of how much air you put into them. Yeah, they will hold you up, but good performance isn't realized until you get some custom tuning.

My suggestion is to get a steel framed rigid bike with a nice 1x10/11 speed setup and learn good technique.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the responses guys but I am a casual MTBer at best that only rides(very lightly) when I come home between work assignments that take me out-of-state. I am unable to ride when on-the-road working cuz I work 6 day weeks/10-12hr days in a very physically demanding job.

I am just looking for a set of wheels that are better than my current stock set.
    I'll just keep looking for a $200-$400 wheelset that will support me better and is less likely to leave me stranded somewhere.
    Perhaps I'll role the dice on one of the 100's of Ebay wheelsets with a return option.
    With family $$$ priorities there is just no room now for a custom $800-$1000 wheelset....not now or in the near future.
    I firmly believe I can find a middle-of-the-road alternative at $200-$400.
    Last edited by newby1; 1 Week Ago at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    With smart shopping you can put together a clyde friendly wheelset for around $500. My last wheelset I had built I grabbed a Hope Pro 4 hub set off ebay when they had a 20% off coupon. Got the spokes at the same time with the same discount. There's a couple sellers that custom cut/thread spokes for a decent price. Then score a good deal on a pair of WTB Asym rims. Local shop did the build for $50 per wheel. Altogether had had about $450-ish invested. Definitely less than $500. And it's a wheelset I'll never worry about. I'm about 300# at the moment and don't ride easy. Ebay just had a 15% off sale but they are usually good for some decent sales around holidays. I'd look for a code popping up maybe at St. Patrick's or Easter, maybe Mother's Day. Definitely Father's Day. They had 20% off last Father's Day.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks Nubster......Thats what i had in mind. Just as you did !!!
    Luckily I just found someone to build my wheels for ($120 labor).
    I will soon start shopping online for parts.

mtbr member
    For hubs on a budget I'd look at DT Swiss 350. Super tough and fairly cheap. You can upgrade the star ratchet later if you feel there's a lack of engagement. Next step up would be the Hopes. The Pro 4 are bombproof and have good engagement at 44 POE. You can order a set from Germany cheaper than you can find them anywhere in the US when there's not a sale going on. If one of those ebay sales hit...the Hopes (or DT Swiss) will be cheaper than ordering from overseas.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Funny you mention that cuz i did find a german online seller selling those DT350's for alot cheaper than in the states. Like you, it seems I am an ebay fanatic and always scoring deals there as well.
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement !!!

BTW......How are them WTB Asym rims working out ?......strong ?

mtbr member
    Yeah...they are great. WTB has a new rim out now too, the KOM Tough. Looks pretty good. I ride a set of WTB Team Frequency on my gravel bike, Stans Flow EX on my single speed mountain, and my geared mountain has the Asyms. I did a lot of research and everyone said they were a bomber rim so I grabbed a pair and so far so good. Running them with 2.8 27.5+ tires.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

turtles make me hot
    My Clydeness is exactly the reason I took up wheel building. As soon as I stopped riding commercially available wheels, I stopped breaking wheels.

Mikesee's article above is right on the money.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newby1 View Post
    Funny you mention that cuz i did find a german online seller selling those DT350's for alot cheaper than in the states. Like you, it seems I am an ebay fanatic and always scoring deals there as well.
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement !!!

BTW......How are them WTB Asym rims working out ?......strong ?
    Dt 350 hubs with dt EX series rims would be an excellent setup for you
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO