Support Group?

Printable View

• 03-02-2004
    Mattman
    Support Group?
    So is this forum like a support group where we can open up about the challenges we face as big people who unfortunately have a passion for a sport that does not favor us. Or will the fear of lurking skinny people keep some clydesdales silent!?

I'm big, I'm proud and while you may beat me to the top, stay out of my way going down!
  • 03-02-2004
    damion
    I wonder when cycling clothing mfg's will open their eyes?
    and realize there is a market for well designed clothing for the weight challenged?
  • 03-02-2004
    AZClydesdale
    I for one ain't no weight weenie!
    And I will add that this clydesdale is sick and tired of these Big and Tall stores who trying to sell us crappy fashion gear, clothes, and shoes. We have style! We have grace! What manufacturer makes a decent XXL-XXXL jersey that is not made for a little Italian man? I really would like to know.

:-)
  • 03-02-2004
    AZClydesdale
    Trek or Cannondale Baggie Shorts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuboy
    What's a good XXL Baggie? I mean a "real" XXL...

I own both Trek and Cannondale baggie shorts ($50-70) and I would rate them both 4/5. Very good padding, pockets with velcro, and fit (for me). Only complaint is normal 'XXL' shorts would not be this tight. If they fit in the change-room, they will work for you.
  • 03-02-2004
    Mattman
    Performance sizing
    While not the most trendy and not of highest quality (or cost) performance clothes seem to fit pretty standard sizing like XXL=48-52 in jerseys or XXL = 40-42 in shorts. I have a couple of their club fit jerseys and a pair of roca shorts that are pretty good. Primal also fit now that I've dropped from 270# to 245# but still a bit snug (probably about 48), better than most euro-midget-trash though. And Voler seem to fit pretty standard too.
  • 03-03-2004
    kept man
    too little ...
    i like primal stuff, but even at 213 (i wear a 48 jacket - i think?) their xxl is the way i must go. i own one xl that i just couldn't pass up (the oriental dragon built from bike parts), but it's about 3 "ben & jerry's free" weeks away from looking not-bad.

the canadian company mountain equipment co-op (MEC) is where i liked to buy most everything cycle-clothes related; their stuff fit nice, and prices were good. now that i'm down here in ma, well ... to be honest i still just save up and wait until i visit home.
  • 03-03-2004
    SuperClydesdale
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    And I will add that this clydesdale is sick and tired of these Big and Tall stores who trying to sell us crappy fashion gear, clothes, and shoes. We have style! We have grace! What manufacturer makes a decent XXL-XXXL jersey that is not made for a little Italian man? I really would like to know.

:-)

Yo AZ

Check out the stuff from Mt. Borah. They make jerseys and shorts up to 4X. And they're sewn right here in the good 'ole USA. They even have a somewhat stylish jersey for this year, the Adventure jersey.

I wear Beartooth shorts, the Micro jersey and the RipStop jersey. Try them you won't be disappointed: link

SuperClydesdale
  • 03-03-2004
    veelz
    Cannondale Baggy Jerseys for me
    I tried the Cdale baggy jerseys a bunch of years ago, and have several still going strong (check my roll call post to see me favorite). Although I just got a New Belgium Brewing Tour De Fat Jersey in XL that is swanky. I have always worn out the baggy shorts, and then just used road bibs underneath the outer shell cut away from the original bike short. Although, I found that I could just by cool looking swim trunks from the surf shops and use the bibs under those; they dry faster, are often cheaper, and work at the beach or pool. A plus is that you definitely won't be copying anyone else's fashion statement at the trailhead.
  • 03-03-2004
    PattD
    XXL Baggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuboy
    What's a good XXL Baggie? I mean a "real" XXL...

REI has some good XXL baggy's! They're pretty stretchy and really comfy. Stay away from Oakley's XXL-I am a 38" waist and they are kind of snug on me.

Jersey's are my problem. I have a 54" chest and their aren't much of any that are that big! Most XXL jersey's are 48-50. I want one that tapers a bit at the waist. Anyfeedback?

PattD