Stump Jumper for Clyde- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Stump Jumper for Clyde

I've been reading posts for a while, but this is my first to write. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I'm 6'1" and 320, down from 355. Years ago (and many pounds lighter) I used to ride my Giant Iguana and then Cannondale F700 all the time. Last April, I bought a nice Specialized Fuse and I can't get on the trails enough. I've been seeing Stump Jumpers on sale (last year's models) and have always wanted a FS. What are thoughts about a SJ taking my weight while riding mild to moderate technical trails? I know wheels are a concern and I would also look for a 36 fork. Mainly concerned about how the rear suspension will work for me. Thanks again!

turtles make me hot
    Not sure about the newer ones. I had an 08 Stumpjumper FSR 29er that I really liked and just like you said, the wheels were total crap. I cracked the frame and Spesh stepped up and gave me a new one. I still have it and my son wants to ride it. I figure he can ride it until it breaks.
    When I had that bike, I weighed probably 265 or so. I think Specialized rated it at 230.
    The newer ones are probably better with the tapered headset and thru axles.
    I would buy a frame and build it up.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    6’6” 265lbs and riding a 2018 sj fattie. Al comp level. Wheels have been fine for me and i ride it as hard as i can. Im a dad so factor that in. But i also have a modified fuse and broke the gx eagle cranks on it fwiw. I think cushy tires help a ton. Spesh hubs are junk. Rebuilt the fuse rear hub twice. The sj could be done also. 1000km on both bikes.

the sj feels like riding a wet noodle when you really get things cooking. Its just not strong enough for me. Both bikes have creaked like mad since the second ride. The new sj is a new frame but its way way too small for me as there is no more xxl. Brakes will not be good enough if you ride anything aggressive or steep. My guide r are just adequate for my needs

yari fork on the sj and dvo topaz

ive had more fun in the fuse but been ten times more comfortable on the sj. So I quit riding the fuse as the sj is just that much easier on my spine.

id take a good look at a trek fuel or remedy. But bike and rider weight limit is 300lbs

seems to be lots of good reviews on the mcleod shock as a upgrade so check they make one for the bike you want to buy.

keep up the weight loss. Zero carbs!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You'd likely have to get a coil shock. I have a 2019 Stumpy and weigh 245-ish. Using their online suspension calculator for rear sag (which I have found to be spot on) has me at 334 psi in the rear. The shock has a max pressure of 350 psi. You'd certainly be beyond that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OP, take a look at the Specialized Camber as well. The camber will distribute your weight over the front wheel a little more than the Stumpy too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They don't make the Camber anymore. The Stumpjumper ST (Short Travel) replaces it.