Sit vs stand- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sit vs stand

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Sit vs stand

Has been slow on this group so i thought id add a new one.

i recently switched to a plus fs bike and i am experimenting and have learned i can sit all day long. But on my previous plus hardtail i always stood to save the spine.

standing allows me to go a bit quicker. Feel more engaged on the ride So ive been trying standing on the fs.

I realize that the trail has a big impact on sit vs stand but...

Who rides standing?
    At what % of max cadence and for what % of the total ride?
    Does this change between your fs vs hardtail?
    Last edited by Fuse6F; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, same here. I feel very comfortable on a hardtail having come from BMX but there's no question that on certain terrain it's exhausting. The worst and the rough techy trails (both up and down) where I get beat up if I try to sit much. Fitness obviously is important because the more fit you are the more you can stay out of the saddle.

Also, this is where my lineup of an aggressive hardtail and a 160mm enduro bike falls short. I'd like to have a short or midtravel FS for longer rides.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    Has been slow on this group so i thought id add a new one.

i recently switched to a plus fs bike and i am experimenting and have learned i can sit all day long. But on my previous plus hardtail i always stood to save the spine.

standing allows me to go a bit quicker. Feel more engaged on the ride So ive been trying standing on the fs.

I realize that the trail has a big impact on sit vs stand but...

Who rides standing?
    At what % of max cadence and for what % of the total ride?
    Does this change between your fs vs hardtail?
    Do you live somewhere fairly flat? It sounds that way.

Where i live, seated pedaling is no big deal (even on a hardtail) because you're climbing something fairly steep, and you have to stand on the descents or get bucked. There isn't a lot of terrain where it's a choice.

On fast-rolling terrain i'll drop my saddle an inch and shift from seated to standing if it gets rough or i need to crest stuff.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

I am 60-40 on the sitting (60%) to standing (40%). The one exception being road rides, there its 90-10. I stand to reset my posture, for more control / agility on technical sections, to stretch my legs and back, and out of habit--I started riding in the '80s when YOU were the suspension and had to make do.

My 60-40 extends to all my bikes: 5" dualie trail bike, full rigid fat bike, full rigid SS, racing HT, and even my indoor spin bike. My 60-40 includes varying types of terrain: the midwest (StL, Brown County, Central IL, Chicago, NW Arkansas) to the west (Moab, Fruita, Front Range, Tucson, Phoenix).

I have been told I stand a lot. FWIW, I do not own a suspension seat post . I dislike them. Regardless, standing does not negatively impact my riding; but thats just me. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My ride yesterday was 30km rolling forrest trails. This varied from gravel doubletrack sections to some packed sandy areas to hard packed rooty areas. I found that standing on the downward sections and reving up the cadence and coast a bit on the ups when needed for small rests was better than power on climbs and coast the downs. Was a great ride. I enjoyed it more standing than sitting
    Last edited by Fuse6F; 1 Week Ago at 04:20 PM.