shorts for averageish waist but HUGE quads/thighs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

shorts for averageish waist but HUGE quads/thighs

so my waist is a large usually size 36. the problem is that im a weightlifter so my quads are quite large. i bought some xl compression type shorts but the fit is less than stellar. the pad doesn't line up with the sit bone and the legs of the shorts squeeze my legs tighter than a sausage. any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Oct 2006

Same boat, brother

I'm in the same boat as a former shot-putter. Hate to break it to you, but comfortable baggies are going to be tough to find. I have been settling for bibs, and if I need more modesty, I'll pull some normal shorts over them. I've been very satisfied with that setup. Pearl Izumi goes XXL with bibs and they fit me very comfortably.

Chilling out
    triathalon (sp?) typically have shorter leg sections - well and smaller chamois pads - but may be a nicer fit (particularly under something loose).

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    why do MTBR users make everything so complicated. You clearly just need to work on getting fat.....at some point, the waist size will catch up and the pants will fit....duh

oh, and by the way, thanks for not posting pics of your "dilemma"!

AKA Dr.Nob
    You'll probably have to look at higher end lycras. They are designed for pros or top level amatures who have big legs. Look at what the top level trackies are wearing.
    The only problem is these tend to be pricey.

If your worried about what other people think my advise is to get over it. Hell if your a weightlifter you shouldn't be worried about people looking at you (doubly if your a bodybuilder).
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have a Performance bike shop nearby, try their Ultra Bib Shorts in an XL ($90 but regularly on sale for ~$60). I'm in the same waist/quads predicament, and getting rid of the waistband altogether helps a lot. I still have to "adjust" the position of the chamois by rolling the leg material inward in front and tugging the chamois down and back. High-end bib shorts are extremely comfortable and last a long time, and the Performance ones are on par with the gucci Euro ones that cost $150-200.

implant
    Apr 2007
    Try the Fox Mid-Ranger baggie shorts (should even be able to find them on sale this time of year). I'm a 36 waist also, and have trouble finding jeans and slacks that are comfortable in in the thighs, but the Mid-Ranger shorts fit great. Also, I second the vote for Performance lycra shorts in XL size, but prefer baggies for mountain biking.

Jul 2007
    I've got larger thighs, and have suggested in the past shorts from Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) up here in Canada. I have their "Rapide" spandex shorts and find the legs VERY forgiving (meaning, very stretchy) while not being uncomfortable...I bought a larger size than I normally wore, as every pair of XL shorts I was trying on (by Pearl Izumi and all the other major shorts players) and actually found the XXLs that I bought almost too big in the thigh...so go figure! Also, their (I think it was) huck shorts are a nice overshort that have a bit of stretch to them, so throwing your leg over the bike, or manouvering around is still pretty unencumbered.

Good luck mate,

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0