Shoe sizing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoe sizing

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Shoe sizing

When I bought bike shoes I found that the Shimanos were small. I wear 14's and the 48s were way too small. I have ski boots in 47 and they fit OK. I ended up with some size 50 Specialized wich fit well except for being narrow.

Winter came and I switched to platforms and boots, but they were too warm and my feet would sweat then get cold.

I switched back to my shoes, but with the extra sock they are kind of tight.

I would like to try to find a roomier shoe, but am now skeptical of the sizing for bike shoes.

Has anyone else noticed this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That's pretty standard - often a particular brand will be consistent with regard to size, but between brands? Forget about it. I think I have a pair of Shimano 48s that are a touch big and I'm typically a 12.5-13 shoe.

So you're running two pairs of socks now? What about a thin liner sock under a pair of smartwool PhDs or run lights? What sort of socks are you using?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have some merino wool liner socks and a pair of synthetic heavy weight socks that I am wearing together.
    The combo keeps my feet dry, and if it is above 20f they are warm enough, but I an feel a lot of cold conducting through the bottom of the shoe. I might just look for a better insole and wear shoe covers when it is colder to cut down on the wind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm don't really like how they look but I ride Sidi's in size 50 Mega. Mega is what the call their wide line. They're so comfortable that I put up with not liking how they look. They're expensive but they last a long time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I was at the LBS and they had some Wolvhammers in 50. They feel big, but the 48's were too small. They are warmer than I need, but they kept my feet warm even after my socks were sweaty.
    They are last years model though and I can see why they changed them, but they gave me a significant discount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a pretty average foot - except high arches.

I have found that Giro TERRADURO works well for me as my "winter-thick sock" shoe. Now they have a HV (fat foot) version. Wouldnt hurt to look at em.

I use regular width Sidis and Scotts for summer weight socks.

I feel your pain, though. Every brand fits different in relation to the size they are marked. I tried on Pearl Izumis once, same model - in different sizes, where the only difference was the width - they were all the same length!

Mike

mtbr member
    I find that the Giro HV isn't that much wider. I have two pairs of the same shoe...both Giro and one is standard the other HV. The HV just gives me enough room and I don't even have what I'd consider a really wide foot. Just wide enough most standard cycling shoes are too narrow but normal shoes I don't need wide sizes. Lake shoes on the other hand...their wide is WIDE. At least the road shoes I have. I have never tried a Lake standard width but I'd be curious to see how they fit because their wide is honestly maybe too wide for my feet. But they might be worth a look. Or Bonts. They have a rounder more natural shaped toe box rather than pointy narrow toe boxes so many other shoe companies have...like they think cyclists have elf feet or something.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.