Reaching out for good vibes, and advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reaching out for good vibes, and advice

Hey guys and gals, I've been trying to lose weight but haven't had much success lately. So I'm reaching out for some advice and good vibes. I guess I should tell you a bit more about myself.

I'm 35 years old, 5'10" and sitting at about 210 lbs. That puts my BMI at "obese" and last year it put my blood pressure at pre-hypertension. I have experience with riding, six years ago I weighed 145 and rode a lot and was able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. When I started dating my current wife it became more difficult to keep the pounds off. She didn't mind me riding every day, but she made it difficult for me to eat right. She's 10 years younger than me and relied more on metabolism than anything resembling a healthy diet. As a result, we both gained weight together. We moved to Alaska from Texas 3 years ago and I only bought another bike 2 years ago. We don't ski (I've tried, I suck, no fun) so really the 4 month summer is the only good riding weather while we're stuck in the gym for the rest of the year (I can get road rides in the spring).

I've tried numerous times to get back in shape, but always hit roadblocks. Firstly, it's hard to eat healthy because healthy food is expensive here in Alaska, and we're limited by a graduate student budget. We've succeeded in losing 5-10 lbs here and there, but always fall back to old habits or run low on money. Second, I just don't have the energy and drive to ride. I love riding! But I just don't have the motivation and I get sick a lot. I know some of it might be related to diet, and I was diagnosed with a severe vitamin D deficiency (I'm Hispanic and as my PA said "I was made for the sun"). I'm taking supplements, but we'll see next month if it's helped, it doesn't feel like it has.

I'm looking for any advice, experience, good juju or just a dialogue. Thanks in advance guys. I really like reading some of the weight loss success stories and I hope to be one someday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Howdy! If you can't bike, start walking then jogging. Realize it will be a slow process. Our bodies aren't designed to drop weight at the drop of a hat anymore.

As for the vitamin D, it took me a while on high dose weekly to get back to normal. Now I live in Florida and I still take a vitamin D supplement.

The important thing is to start moving. Shovel snow, walk, jog, bike. It all adds up.

RAKC
    ok hopefully this comes across correctly lol. You say you have 4 good riding months a year, money tight etc. Thats a PAIN. If your able to come up with extra funds once you get your diet in order, a fat bike adds time through the year you can ride. Just as a thought as Im saving to hopefully buy one before winter hits here (wipes out too much riding for my liking since winter sucks here too just not as much).

I understand the fighting to loose weight very well too, aint easy by any means, especially if your still a student. But eating "healthy" as it would be, is expensive, but things you can do on the cheap that will help alot. Dont eat fast food, no soda, limit breads and pasta (well the white variety anyway, but watch the carbs as much as possible). Eating healthy doesnt mean eating organic, means cutting out the junk and simply eating balanced diet. Takes more time than money as food bill doesnt go up much but involves more time in planning and prepping your own food.

Best of luck, stay with it, Im battling to get the weight coming off again and its hard, I have wife and kids, but doable. Might be slow but its doable. Find a routine and stick to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You might also want to post in the Alaska forum for more tips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am in the same boat as you. I know I could improve my diet and that would help but it is easy to fall into the grip of junk food.

The best advise I can give is to find something fun to do. If I am just riding the same old plain trails and am not enjoying it, that makes it difficult to keep trucking along. I also am more willing to work out if I have someone to do stuff with. Find a partner, if not you wife, then someone else. Trying to exercise while being bored is a killer for me. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot guys. Anyone have any advice on how to eat to get more energy (and not get sick so much)? That's my biggest hurdle I think. When I ride I shed weight like crazy, it's just been harder lately to get myself going. I know I have bad habits, and I'm working on exercising those demons (sodas, chips) but since I'm always sitting around working on my thesis and what not, it's hard not to snack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I know its easier said than done, but if you're going to snack, snack on fruits and vegetables. Don't go grocery shopping when you are hungry. If the crap food isn't in your house you can't eat it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Have you looked into a Cycleops indoor trainer? That would let you exercise on your bike during the cold winter months. As I just out in another post, I have one and love it. A lot of times on cold and/or rainy days I'll a "trainer and a movie" session. No clue how far I ride those days or what my speed is, I just know I go for at least 90 min on those days. Cycleops can be expensive, but there are cheaper versions out there that do the same thing they are just typically noisier.

Vincit qui patitur
    Snacks: fruits, vegies, nuts
    Drink: water, water, Mix chia seeds in water or juice too.(look it up)
    Eat all throughout the day small meals.
    That and small portions and nothing withen 2 hours of going to bed.
    Exercise: Find something to get you off your butt. Put a big note of the referidgerator "Am I really hungry or bored?"
    Another idea is get a camera (even a smart phone) so you can hike/walk to places for some great shots.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. Anyone have any advice on how to eat to get more energy (and not get sick so much)? That's my biggest hurdle I think. When I ride I shed weight like crazy, it's just been harder lately to get myself going. I know I have bad habits, and I'm working on exercising those demons (sodas, chips) but since I'm always sitting around working on my thesis and what not, it's hard not to snack.
    I read the book "Eat to Live" wonderful amount of info about how foods work in the body. I lost about 40 pounds in a few months following it most of the time with no exercise. I bought a bike to help the process.