Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail

Being 6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan limits bikes which fit me well. Currently I ride a Santa Cruz Hightower LT and it is excellent overall but a steeper S/A and longer reach would further enhance the experience.

My current hardtail is a 2001 18" Banshee Morphine which I originally built up in college as my dirt jumper and an all around bullet-proof hardtail has transitioned from "old" to "retro." I usually ride my HTLT but keep the Morphine around for friends to ride, you don't break Morphine, Morphine breaks YOU!

It has come time for a new hardtail that doesn't resemble a runt bike when riding it. Stemming off the geometry I experience of the Hightower LT and seeing what other tall riders are after I started poking around for frames with steep seat angles, long reaches, long top tubes, and 29" wheels. 29/27.5+ is a bonus since the added tire volume would be appreciated on a hardtail but if I had to pick: 29>27.5

After a bit of research I have my sights locked on the Pole Taival, a 29/27.5 steel hardtail with a threaded BB, and most importantly; steep S/A, long reach, and slack H/A. You can see how it stacks up to my current bikes as well some of the other well known "modern" hardtails like the Pedalhead and Honzo. The Banshee is so old that "reach" and "stack" were not used so I had to bust out my laser level to make those measurements.

Although Pole has designed this radical geometry for "normal" riders and the concept of being well balanced over the bike with a larger cockpit and a steeper H/A is supposed to inspire confidence, I think it is particularly accommodating to us tall folk and I wanted to share!

Evan

*Note* on the measurements the XXL HTLT reflects a 160mm fork since I extended the travel 10mm and the Taival geometry is based on a 150mm fork which is what I will likely run (their website lists 140mm specs)

https://polebicycles.com/taival/

Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_2758.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e1146.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_2766.jpg

Rocks belong
    Nice geo! My Ragley has a 73.5* sta (static) with a 140mm fork. I believe it's around 75* when at sag. Your Pole is going to be around 77* at sag!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    That looks like a big bike, which is awesome!

Their "Machine" looks ridiculous as well... big and machined from a solid block of Al? wow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This is interresting Evan. I'm intrigued about a steel hardtail and looking forward to your review, as you are a tall rider like me and take your riding seriously

mtbr member
    Good to see another big steel hardtail on the market. Look forward to seeing how you build this up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This bike has just made it onto my must have list. Been wanting to upgrade my Scott Scale 960 for a while now and been eyeing off a Koga Honzo. This looks even better for fit

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Have they officially released it and it's available in the US?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Site says pre-order for availability end June. They also say shipping worldwide, so should be US available

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuenni View Post
    This is interresting Evan. I'm intrigued about a steel hardtail and looking forward to your review, as you are a tall rider like me and take your riding seriously
    I am serious about my riding, serious about having fun! Heyo! On paper the downside of this frame will be it's unwillingness to manual but everything has a balance point so technique and skills will have to adapt. Where the geo and sizing is radical for your "normal" sized rider and Pole has some tutorials and how corner it properly (different from a traditional bike) I think with larger riders it will be much more natural since we have more leverage to throw the bike around, just a hunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Good to see another big steel hardtail on the market. Look forward to seeing how you build this up!
    Naturally it would be a beefy build, 150mm Fox 36 or Lyric/Yari up front (stiff chassis). Pole said it can fit a 29x2.6 WTB in the rear which is great curious to see if other 2.6s will clear as I want the largest cushion possible riding on a wide rim to help battle tire fold from cornering forces. 9point8 200mm dropper and the rest is up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
    This bike has just made it onto my must have list. Been wanting to upgrade my Scott Scale 960 for a while now and been eyeing off a Koga Honzo. This looks even better for fit
    Honzo seems like a great option but the Taival seems... more greater Also, steel will have a more forgiving ride which in my eyes in a huge upside for a hardtail that will a moderate pedaling and descending in chunky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    Have they officially released it and it's available in the US?
    They are expecting to be stocked up here shortly and website says June deliveries. I know they had a bit of delay with getting their "Machines" delivered since they switched factories but it sounds like they are settled, building bikes, and fulfilling orders.

Evan

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I like the idea of 29 up front and 27,5plus out back. In a german bike mag they tested a bulls bike what comes stock in this way, and they liked it. What do you think?

mtbr member
    I like the idea of 29 up front and 27,5plus out back. In a german bike mag they tested a bulls bike what comes stock in this way, and they liked it. What do you think?
    I love the volume of plus for ride comfort but love the 29" wheels for rolling over everything. My ideal setup would be 29x2.8 Minion DHFs on 40mm ID rims but unfortunately that doesn't exist as it's 27.5x2.8 or 29x3.0. Having to choose I would gravitate towards 29" wheels with the highest volume possible and rims to match.

Pole told me that the Taival will fit a 2.5 WTB in the rear which is great news since I assume that means the WTB Breakout which is one of the largest volume 29" tires available. At this time there are only a handful of 29x2.6 tires on the market and I am not really familiar with any of them.

My current issue with my 29x2.5 DHFs on i30mm rims is cornering stability, even with Cushcores I can't run <35psi in the rear or the tire will be folding all over the place. Perhaps running larger i35mm rims will increase stability and allow me to run slightly lower pressures so I can capitalize on some cushion from the larger volume.

Going pack to your 29F 27.5+R. I would have some reservations about how that might affect the geometry and slacken out the head angle on the bike. I have seen some measurements where 27.5"+ is very similar to 29" but referencing the link below it looks like there is nearly 1" of difference in rolling diameter between the 27.5x2.8 DHF and 29x2.3 I would keep the 29x2.5 up front which means the difference could be even more substantial. IIRC adding +10mm of for travel =(-.5 degree) H/A so this setup could slacked the H/A almost 1 degree to 63 (with 150mm fork).

Different fork, tire, and wheel setups can yield different results but personally with how I want to set up the bike I think it's best to pair the wheel diameters.

Here is the link: Maxxis Minion and HighRoller Plus tires weights and measurements - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I understand your opinion. The pole is a quite slack bike already and the 27,5 has to be smaller, we see all the flip chips, spacers, etc. on 29/27,5 plus bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm torn between the Taival and the Moxie.....either way im sold on the new geo-

mtbr member
    Thought I'd do a mock-up of how an XL Taival would look, with 140mm Lyrik, and 170mm Reverb. Saddle set to my pedalling height, with 35mm stem, 25mm of spacers, and 30mm rise bar.

Looks very tempting

Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-taival.png

BikeCad file is here, if anyone wants it.

https://www.bikecad.ca/1528621426470

mtbr member
    Thought I'd do a mock-up of how an XL Taival would look, with 140mm Lyrik, and 170mm Reverb. Saddle set to my pedalling height, with 35mm stem, 25mm of spacers, and 30mm rise bar.
    Thanks for that, nice to visualize a 2018/2019 built up, the 2017 and earlier bikes seem to have older (more conservative) geometry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Nice work BareNecessitie
    And yes it looks tempting
    Looking forward to see the real one

mtbr member
    I am happy for Pole since they seem to be very busy fulfilling orders and getting caught up after transferring to their new factory but the wait is real! When I started this thread the anticipated delivery per the website as end of June, that got pushed back to July, and now shows end of August. Patience is a virtue!

After noting their delays with Evolinks and Machines I anticipated the same for the Taival. Factor in I sold my XXL Hightower LT last week and won't have a 2019 in my hands until late Sept/early that means I will be bikeless for a few months and that is not OK. I remedied this issue by buying a lightly used Pole Evolink 150 which should arrive today! I am curious to see how it gets on and stacks up to the XXL Hightower LT. I will have a separate build thread for that bike.

Back to the Taival, over the past month I have been collecting parts and with the exception of some small stuff like Problem Solvers Matchmakers, Stealth Maxles, fork upgrades, and tires, all the major components have arrived.

Here are the specs, let the patient waiting commence!
    Evan

18' Rockshox Yari modded to 19' RC2 Lyrik 150mm
    Industry 9 hubs - E13 TRS+ rims - Cushcores
    Magura MT5 Calipers - MT Trail Levers - 203mm SL Rotors
    Eagle GX Drivetrain
    RaceFace Turbine Cranks
    Crank Brothers Stamp 3 Large Pedals
    9point8 200mm dropper post
    Ergon SR3-L saddle
    ANVL 35x50x5 stem
    Deity Holeshot 825x35 bars
    Wolf Tooth Fat Paw grips
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 F - Aggressor 2.5 R

Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_3108.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_3115.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_3116.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e3111.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e3112.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e3113.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_2956.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e3110.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_2959.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_2963.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_3114.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e3109.jpgPole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_2977.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
    18' Rockshox Yari modded to 19' RC2 Lyrik 150mm
    Industry 9 hubs - E13 TRS+ rims - Cushcores
    Magura MT5 Calipers - MT Trail Levers - 203mm SL Rotors
    Eagle GX Drivetrain
    RaceFace Turbine Cranks
    Crank Brothers Stamp 3 Large Pedals
    9point8 200mm dropper post
    Ergon SR3-L saddle
    ANVL 35x50x5 stem
    Deity Holeshot 825x35 bars
    Wolf Tooth Fat Paw grips
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 F - Aggressor 2.5 R

Some suitably beefy components for a beefy frame. It's going to be a beast

mtbr member
    Some suitably beefy components for a beefy frame. It's going to be a beast
    Yea, durability is key as I break stuff. Besides, heavier bikes just make you stronger.
    \M/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This post is a huge help for me as a relative MTB newb. Iím a buy once buy right kind of guy (my current MTB excepted) and have been researching the crap out of parts and find what I want not in either of the stock Taival builds so Iím going to price things together. But Poleís delay has hamstrung me and I had to fork out some bike money on family so the full build will have to wait. Iím still going to get a frame and gradually get things together

mtbr member
    This post is a huge help for me as a relative MTB newb. Iím a buy once buy right kind of guy (my current MTB excepted) and have been researching the crap out of parts and find what I want not in either of the stock Taival builds so Iím going to price things together. But Poleís delay has hamstrung me and I had to fork out some bike money on family so the full build will have to wait. Iím still going to get a frame and gradually get things together
    Happy to help. Options and info can be limited for us guys so I really value real world feedback, especially other big guys who understand "the struggle" so glad to hear this is being put to use.

BTW, Pole said their Taival frames (presumably first wave)are currently being welded , will enter paint next week, and should be ready to ship in Aug. They posted a pic of some welded frames so this is more than heresay or an ETA update from their website.

Also, I will be creating a build log for my Pole Evolink 150 I recently got, I shared it in the 29er forum but will create a thread here for the big boys.

Evan

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I done gone and ordered my frame today. Going to be mated to a DVO Diamond fork that I picked up at a pretty good price.

Got enough coin left to get the wheel bits together, then the rest will come when I sell the old bike later this year or as I save a bit up. Wheels will be DT 350s to i35 ASYMs

Still undecided on what group to get but I have to decide soon as it will dictate the rear hub choice. My heart says Shimano but curious about SRAM

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    This bike interests me a lot. Looking to get of the full squish and I can run my current Fox 36 150mm on this frame.

Question for those with frame. Would it fit a 29x 2.6 tire in rear. Ideally want to put my Bontrager SE2 2.6 on the rear. Straight off my Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Well I done gone and ordered my frame today. Going to be mated to a DVO Diamond fork that I picked up at a pretty good price.

Got enough coin left to get the wheel bits together, then the rest will come when I sell the old bike later this year or as I save a bit up. Wheels will be DT 350s to i35 ASYMs

Still undecided on what group to get but I have to decide soon as it will dictate the rear hub choice. My heart says Shimano but curious about SRAM
    I think both group sets can perform very well is set up properly. So far I am a big fan of the GX Eagle, the range suite my riding style well and I appreciate some of the small features they offer. Being a big/powerful rider also makes me gravitrate towards xD drivers for durability.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunnys View Post
    This bike interests me a lot. Looking to get of the full squish and I can run my current Fox 36 150mm on this frame.

Question for those with frame. Would it fit a 29x 2.6 tire in rear. Ideally want to put my Bontrager SE2 2.6 on the rear. Straight off my Fuel EX.
    Their customer service said a WTB 29x2.6 fits in the rear and WTBs are fatter than most so I would expect it to fit all 2.6s and maybe 2.8s depending on brand and how close you are willing to go on clearance.

Taival frames are being produced, built, and shipped. Here are some pics!

Red Pepper and Polar Blue
    Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_3980.jpg

Options
    Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e3985.jpg

Medium in velvet black with the high end "EN" build.
    Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e3997.jpg

XL Polar Blue with the lower end "TR" build, this is ~$1,600usd after the currency conversion and shipping. Add a dropper post and some rotors and you are good to go!
    Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_e4025.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think both group sets can perform very well is set up properly. So far I am a big fan of the GX Eagle, the range suite my riding style well and I appreciate some of the small features they offer. Being a big/powerful rider also makes me gravitrate towards xD drivers for durability.
    I did a lot, maybe too much, reading and ended up with Shimano XT. At the top end there seems to be no question, SRAM is better. In the mid range the lines get blurred and it's much of a muchness. I read a number of people after having used both SRAM and Shimano mid level stuff gravitating to Shimano so I went with that. Plus pretty much everything I run is Shimano across track/road and my old MTB so my OCD is satisfied

Their customer service said a WTB 29x2.6 fits in the rear and WTBs are fatter than most so I would expect it to fit all 2.6s and maybe 2.8s depending on brand and how close you are willing to go on clearance.

Options
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E3985.jpg 
Views:	1055 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	1215056
    I sure hope so. I went for Rekons front and rear in 2.6 and wheels ended up with DT 30mm internal rims. I have to do their final tension after doing the prestressing yesterday.

I really wish I knew that metallic blue was on the cards. I would have chosen that for sure, but ended up with black. I'm now waiting in anticipation for the frame to arrive so I can get things happening. The last parts are on their way to me from Germany and I have no MTB ATM

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Does frame have hole underneath BB. To drain any water if it gets inside it? Had another frame from another brand a while back and I had to drill hole. Which was not ideal.

warriorpoet
    Sep 2008
    Just got my Taival frameset. It does have a drain hole in the bottom bracket. Quality seems very good!

jcd's best friend
    This frame looks nice! I just built up my Octane One Prone 29 frame that I picked up from Chain Reaction Cycles. I might have to consider this frame for a boost build in the future!
    Trek …monda SL6 | Intense Recluse

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlg View Post
    Just got my Taival frameset. It does have a drain hole in the bottom bracket. Quality seems very good!
    Sweet, thatís good. Try and post some pics once built up. Be keen to see it.

Aiming to order my frame in November.

mtbr member
    Can someone with this frame confirm what the max rear 29er tire size is?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Can someone with this frame confirm what the max rear 29er tire size is?
    I asked Pole this and they said a 29x2.6 WTB will fit and since WTBs run large that means ALL 29x2.5s will fit, a 29x2.6 Schwalbe NN should work no problem, and depending on the brand/tread design some 29x2.8 might fit?

mtbr member
    I asked Pole this and they said a 29x2.6 WTB will fit and since WTBs run large that means ALL 29x2.5s will fit, a 29x2.6 Schwalbe NN should work no problem, and depending on the brand/tread design some 29x2.8 might fit?
    Thanks.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    What's the weight on these frames?

Answered my own question = 2.8kg or 6.2lbs.
    Last edited by vikb; 10-08-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can anybody of the Taival owners say somthing about how it rides?
    Does it feel very different?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My frame arrived today XL size. Looking forward to getting this built up and riding it. Not sure how much riding before summer is over though. Snakes have a liking for MTB trails around these parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-45367124_10214564688404884_232054308454006784_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My frame arrived today XL size. Looking forward to getting this built up and riding it. Not sure how much riding before summer is over though. Snakes have a liking for MTB trails around these parts
    If you still planning to run the 2.6 Rekons. Love to see clearance in the back of bike if you can upload some pictures once built.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I will put them on initially as I liked the Ikons grip on my old bike for the terrain I ride, but they were just not tough enough for the rocky stuff, copping some good sidewall scuffs and showing a bit of frayed carcase. My thoughts are that the Rekons are similar, but built a bit better. I will take pics, and if it all goes pear shaped I have a 2.5 Aggressor to use instead.

warriorpoet
    Sep 2008
    Iíve had my Taival for a couple months now. Itís rides very different than the more standard geometry hardtails Iíve previously owned. Itís very stable and confident at speed and feels almost like a downhill bike (minus the rear suspension of course). Uphill it climbs great! The geometry really keeps you centered and itís nice not having to sit on the nose of the saddle when climbing steep hills. I havenít ridden it on a trail with tight switchbacks yet which is where the long wheelbase might struggle in the tight turns but so far Iím very happy with how it rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Do you have any pictures of your build?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Do you have any pictures of your build?
    Yes pics would be great. This bike is still pretty rare.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Iíve had my Taival for a couple months now. Itís rides very different than the more standard geometry hardtails Iíve previously owned. Itís very stable and confident at speed and feels almost like a downhill bike (minus the rear suspension of course). Uphill it climbs great! The geometry really keeps you centered and itís nice not having to sit on the nose of the saddle when climbing steep hills. I havenít ridden it on a trail with tight switchbacks yet which is where the long wheelbase might struggle in the tight turns but so far Iím very happy with how it rides.
    Thank you for your impressions!

Last weekend I ordered the Taival frame and now I canīt wait to have it here... Hope it will come soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    What do you guys using for dropper post? Looking to build Large Taival this winter and think if 150mm is enough or go 170mm? I'm 6'3 for reference, 34 inseam

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What do you guys using for dropper post? Looking to build Large Taival this winter and think if 150mm is enough or go 170mm? I'm 6'3 for reference, 34 inseam
    I bought this one: e*thirteen, TRS+ Seatpost, 30.9 mm, 170 mm

I'm 187 cm (6'2 ?), 32 inseam.
    Distance BB to saddle rails is ca. 76,5 cm, when 175mm cranks.

warriorpoet
    Sep 2008
    I went with a OneUp 170 seat post and it works awesome. Iím 6í2Ē with 170 cranks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you still planning to run the 2.6 Rekons. Love to see clearance in the back of bike if you can upload some pictures once built.
    Not built yet, but put the wheel in for a pic. Lots of clearance with my XL size frame so I measured the tyres. They only run at 2.44Ē wide on i30 rims. A little disappointing actually

Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-1a5c911e-1cf1-4eff-8135-5c369945b5f3.jpg
    Last edited by brawlo; 11-18-2018 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not built yet, but put the wheel in for a pic. Lots of clearance so I measured the tyres. They only run at 2.44Ē wide on i30 rims. A little disappointing actually

Name:	1A5C911E-1CF1-4EFF-8135-5C369945B5F3.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	1225298
    Your Taival is size XL, right? So the smaller frames have probably less clearance because of the shorter chainstay length...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreisel View Post
    Your Taival is size XL, right? So the smaller frames have probably less clearance because of the shorter chainstay length...
    Yes itís XL so you should have less clearance on the smaller frames

mtbr member
    Even the small Taival has 17"+ CS which are not short and there are loads of HT frames that can fit wide rubber into 17" CS so hopefully tire clearance isn't much of an issue.

I mounted a set of 29 x 2.6" Rekons to 30mm IW rims and the volume looks pretty much the same as my 2.4" Conti Trail Kings.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Not built yet, but put the wheel in for a pic. Lots of clearance with my XL size frame so I measured the tyres. They only run at 2.44Ē wide on i30 rims. A little disappointing actually

Nice, good to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Iīm so excited! My Taival will be shipped end of this week or next week and it will take 3...5 days to arrive here in Germany... Two long weeks ;-)

mtbr member
    Iīm so excited! My Taival will be shipped end of this week or next week and it will take 3...5 days to arrive here in Germany... Two long weeks ;-)
    Congrats.

This thread needs a lot more bike porn! Get your camera ready!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My Taival frame should arrive by mid December, most of the parts are ready for build. Will be adding the pics

mtbr member
    I really wish I knew that metallic blue was on the cards. I would have chosen that for sure, but ended up with black.
    Just out of curiosity I asked Pole about the Metallic blue frame. It's a custom option so you'd have to order one and then wait a few months for the next production run to happen. I assume there would be an extra charge for the colour, but I didn't confirm that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just out of curiosity I asked Pole about the Metallic blue frame. It's a custom option so you'd have to order one and then wait a few months for the next production run to happen. I assume there would be an extra charge for the colour, but I didn't confirm that.
    Yeah I asked about it. Their frame order got messed up. I originally ordered black but they didnít get sent any in XL in their last shipment. So it was another colour or wait. I was tossing up between red and black originally so went for red. Now things are so hectic I donít have time to assemble it so I probably could have still waited for black

mtbr member
    The red looks nice. It will be a sweet bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Does anybody know which A/C length the 60mm BB drop is measured with?

Also the SA will be like 77 when sagged. I understand it climbs great and gets out of the way on the descend, but how does it feel on a flat trail in a seated position?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I mocked up the geo in my cad program and came up with a 551 A/C length, so that would be an unsagged 140mm fork.

And with that 140mm fork sagged 25%, the HTA would be 65.9, the STA 76.9 and the BB drop 71mm.

The long reach on the Taival should help offset the super steep STA and help balance rider weight between the wheels. But I can't say from personal experience how it rides, yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Great find on the Taival. I'm 6"7" 36" inch inseam, looks like a good fitting hardtail.

Preferred velvet black for the frame color. Murphys law they are out of it in XL until May 2019.

Is the Pepper red more of a satin red?

Anyone find any reviews of this bike? Google hasn't lead me to much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 4runn View Post
    Preferred velvet black for the frame color. Murphys law they are out of it in XL until May 2019.

Is the Pepper red more of a satin red?
    Hence why I went with the red. Like I said above, I was tossing up between red and black and black was going to be an even longer wait after I had already been waiting a long time. In the flesh the red is very nice and is a satin finish

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hence why I went with the red. Like I said above, I was tossing up between red and black and black was going to be an even longer wait after I had already been waiting a long time. In the flesh the red is very nice and is a satin finish
    If you are based in the US, how long did it take for your frame to arrive after ordering it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 4runn View Post
    If you are based in the US, how long did it take for your frame to arrive after ordering it?
    Iím based in Australia. I knew I wanted the Taival, just ummed and ahhed about what version. I sat on it too long and missed out on the first frame run. Then the supplier stuffed up and no XL blacks in the next run. So it was either wait even longer or go with red. Initial preorder was at the end of July and frame arrived at the start of November

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Iím based in Australia. I knew I wanted the Taival, just ummed and ahhed about what version. I sat on it too long and missed out on the first frame run. Then the supplier stuffed up and no XL blacks in the next run. So it was either wait even longer or go with red. Initial preorder was at the end of July and frame arrived at the start of November
    I was about to sort an order also this week. But see there are no options in XL now. Guess there will be a new batch early next year, I hope.

mtbr member
    I was about to sort an order also this week. But see there are no options in XL now. Guess there will be a new batch early next year, I hope.
    When I chatted with Pole they were saying the next production run would be Mar/Apr 2019.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    When I chatted with Pole they were saying the next production run would be Mar/Apr 2019.
    They also told me last week more Taival XL frames would be available in March 2019.

The Machine and Stamina are machined in Jyvšskylš, Finland. All the other frames are made in Taiwan I was told.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Crap that ages away... :-(

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've come to expect such delays as being part of the fun of being an outlier in the bike world size wise. My last track bike (custom from Duratec) and 3XL Canyon roadie were all about the same timelines through one reason or another. The good/bad thing for me is there's not really anything else to choose from so I just have to take it on the chin and play the waiting game to get what I want/need

mtbr member
    I've come to expect such delays as being part of the fun of being an outlier in the bike world size wise. My last track bike (custom from Duratec) and 3XL Canyon roadie were all about the same timelines through one reason or another. The good/bad thing for me is there's not really anything else to choose from so I just have to take it on the chin and play the waiting game to get what I want/need
    That is what I was told too. I had a pretty frustrating experience with their customer service, I was trying to extract a response from them regarding an email I sent and it took MONTHS for them to answer it, literally from Crankworks until November and I was waiting to place my Taival order until I heard back. This was a huge mistake since I went from possibly being one of the first to missing the 2018 boat, lesson learned I guess.

Certainly small companies have large hurdles to clear but from what I gather from current Taival owners is from order to receiving the frame was months and I believe some of these were when the frames were "in stock." Seems borderline unacceptable but I am not in their shoes.

Something for potential Pole owners to consider, you can opt for DHL shipping on your frame/bike. It should be a ~50E upcharge for a frame (so expect ~100 for a bike) but DHL will get it to you in a few days. The standard EMS shipping they use takes weeks. Money well spent IMO, not only for the shorter delivery time but the reduced chances of it going MIA along the way. I will absolutely be using DHL to save a few weeks on the year lost. :/

Customer service hiccups aside I am extremely excited for this bike, I have been thoroughly enjoying my Evolink 150, transferring that geo to a steel hardtail will be a rippin time. I need to build a REALLY strong rear wheel.

Evan

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm in the same boat, ordered Polar Blue Taival frame in size Large in the beginning of November, a week ago I've got response after my inquiry that the frame is still not ready (something about failing to pass the QC) and was offered to change order to Velvet Black which is still fine to me. Two weeks later still no response from customer service rep.
    I guess, Santa is not coming to me this year...

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat, ordered Polar Blue Taival frame in size Large in the beginning of November, a week ago I've got response after my inquiry that the frame is still not ready (something about failing to pass the QC) and was offered to change order to Velvet Black which is still fine to me. Two weeks later still no response from customer service rep.
    Not sure which rep you were/are talking to but I had some real poor communication with Ville but since getting connected with Lassi communication has been much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I spoke with Lassi, but I believe not all the things are on their hands. Still, didn't get the clear response regarding an estimate shipping date.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bit late in getting this up as It's been together for about a week now.

The rear brake is giving me issues. I mated up a new 4 piston caliper to the Magura trail brakes and can't seem to get it working. I've got a couple more tricks to try but it's high 30įC here ATM and no insulation in my shed so it can wait a little while until the temps become more friendly.

Build is XL size
    DVO Diamond fork currently at 150mm
    Shimano XT 34/46-11
    DT 350 boost hubs to DT i30 eyeletted rims 32/32 - 29er
    Maxxis 2.6 Rekon F/R for now
    PRO Koryak 120mm post found on the cheap (may go for more drop later)
    Renthal fatbars

Wheels are my first MTB build so hopefully strong enough and I've done a good enough job to cope with my 6'5" 130kg butt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-pole-taival.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bit late in getting this up as It's been together for about a week now.

The rear brake is giving me issues. I mated up a new 4 piston caliper to the Magura trail brakes and can't seem to get it working. I've got a couple more tricks to try but it's high 30įC here ATM and no insulation in my shed so it can wait a little while until the temps become more friendly.

Wheels are my first MTB build so hopefully strong enough and I've done a good enough job to cope with my 6'5" 130kg butt
    I have the same brake setup (MT5/7 calipers on MT Trail levers) what is your issue?

Those seat rails are in for a hell of a time with your weight and their positioning on a hardtail!

Evan

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the same brake setup (MT5/7 calipers on MT Trail levers) what is your issue?

Those seat rails are in for a hell of a time with your weight and their positioning on a hardtail!

Evan
    There's an air lock in there I presume in the caliper. I've bled it twice now with a decent amount of air coming out the second time but there's still some in there. We did a social christmas lights ride around my town on Sunday which was fine just to run with a front brake so I'm kinda hoping that has shifted the air. I'll try a gravity bleed when things cool down and after that, this is next https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AljHARI65sI

Saddle not set yet. I just threw this together to take it on the social ride with my daughter.

mtbr member
    There's an air lock in there I presume in the caliper. I've bled it twice now with a decent amount of air coming out the second time but there's still some in there.
    Good to know about the saddle, it wouldn't last long like that under big boys like us (120kg here).

With he Maguras I would suggest following the general Magura bleesing instructions but here are some tips I used which might be worth trying. Beeding them with the caliper off the bike so the caliper is essentially hanging at the lowest point possible relative to the lever. If you have a bike stand and an extra handlebar you can make a nice little contraption like this:
    Pole Taival ...I found my new hardtail-img_4203.jpg

When following the bleeding procedure of pushing and pulling the syringe make sure to knock the caliper a few times and in different positions to try and release any bubbles, actuate the lever a few times, and flick the hose as well. After a few passes with no bubbles emerging go ahead and remove the open syringe on the lever and close the port. When removing the syringe from the caliper I like to lift it above the height of the lever with the bleed port on the top, I have found this works well at keeping the oil from rushing out as much when the fitting is removed; using gravity to your advantage works well here.

After the system is bled I like to do a street test for a few minutes then go back in the garage, level the lever on the bike, insert an open syringe, add some fluid, and flick the lever to get any additional bubbles out. After my first trail ride I do the same. I am usually able to get a couple bubbles each time and even one large bubble makes a big difference. After 2 of these "purges" the system is good to go.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Evan

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good to know about the saddle, it wouldn't last long like that under big boys like us (120kg here).

With he Maguras I would suggest following the general Magura bleesing instructions but here are some tips I used which might be worth trying. Beeding them with the caliper off the bike so the caliper is essentially hanging at the lowest point possible relative to the lever. If you have a bike stand and an extra handlebar you can make a nice little contraption like this:

Name:	IMG_4203.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	1230911

When following the bleeding procedure of pushing and pulling the syringe make sure to knock the caliper a few times and in different positions to try and release any bubbles, actuate the lever a few times, and flick the hose as well. After a few passes with no bubbles emerging go ahead and remove the open syringe on the lever and close the port. When removing the syringe from the caliper I like to lift it above the height of the lever with the bleed port on the top, I have found this works well at keeping the oil from rushing out as much when the fitting is removed; using gravity to your advantage works well here.

After the system is bled I like to do a street test for a few minutes then go back in the garage, level the lever on the bike, insert an open syringe, add some fluid, and flick the lever to get any additional bubbles out. After my first trail ride I do the same. I am usually able to get a couple bubbles each time and even one large bubble makes a big difference. After 2 of these "purges" the system is good to go.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Evan
    I essentially bled it that way, but on the bike in the stand with the caliper taken off. Maybe I'll just try that second method first and see if that solves things.

mtbr member
    I chatted with them again about a Taival in my size [medium] and was told the QC issues with some frames meant they didn't have any more in that size in black or blue. They did have yellow or red, but I don't like either colour so I'm out of luck until next shipment in the spring.

Pole was in radio silence mode over the holidays [fair enough], but I did get fast responses from Lassi before and after the holiday break. Given the time zone and language differences I don't have any real complaints about their communications.

The QC issues are unfortunate, but I can sympathize [I do QC] and I'd rather they identify a problem now and let me know rather than not inspect their product and ship me a frame to Canada that's defective.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm impressed!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just if it helps other tall freaky people out there looking for a long tall hardtail steel for 27.5+/29 I'm addition to the Pole there is also the Guerrilla Gravity Pedal Head

https://ridegg.com/pedalhead

And they will do custom tube lengths as well.

No experience of riding one, as by the time one would have been landed in the UK the cost was too much to justify.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Also if you are not fussed about steel, Bird do the Zero29 which is also suitable for the taller rider in the l and XL sizes. have their 29er full sus. They have excellent customer service and bikes are sorted geometry wise.

https://www.bird.bike/product/zero-29-frameset/

Good price as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Pedalhead was my option #2 but I couldn't justify almost $500 difference in price. But if there was no Taival, I would definitely cough that price tag and got that Pedalhead

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ride there View Post
    I mocked up the geo in my cad program and came up with a 551 A/C length, so that would be an unsagged 140mm fork.

And with that 140mm fork sagged 25%, the HTA would be 65.9, the STA 76.9 and the BB drop 71mm.

The long reach on the Taival should help offset the super steep STA and help balance rider weight between the wheels. But I can't say from personal experience how it rides, yet.
    are you sure? i think the the geo is with 140mm fork sagged 25%.

if no it's possible to have pedal strike, i think...

nobody have notice the real geo?

hola

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Any more feedback available as to how these bikes ride?

Internet reviews are scarce apart from the Enduro Magazine one, and anything would be welcome....

Cheers
    Throwing "special" shapes since a long time ago.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think it rides awesomely. But I'm fairly inexperienced when compared to others here. I only dipped my toe back into the MTB waters a few years ago with a far too small Scott Scale XL. So the Taival is light years difference and a much better fitting bike for me at 6'5". TBH it's a bit too much bike for my local trails. There's a few more technical XC type tracks locally to me and they don't really let the bike shine, although the seating position changes thing a whole lot for the better. Iplan to travel a bit through winter to some trails that should be far better suited to the bike, so I will see then how things go

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hi Brawlo,

Thanks for the feedback. does anyone else have any actual ride experience to add to this thread?

TIA

Sponge

warriorpoet
    Sep 2008
    I love the geometry of the Taival. Iím 6í2Ē and the Large fits perfect. I built mine up in September and Itís become my go to bike (over my full sus Yeti). Iím riding it with chunky 2.5/ 2.4 29er wheels and the traction is insane! I recently rode it on a trail with tight switchbacks and didnít really have any issues. I mean climbing around the tight turns was a bit tricky at times but I quickly got used to the wider turning radius and the downhill stability and speed is worth the trade off. Iím looking forward to trying it with some 27.5+ wheels next. Itís a solid bike! The only thing I didnít like was the factory seat post clamp which I could never get tight enough. I replaced it with a hope clamp and no issues since

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hi SDLG

Thanks for the information, it really helps as these frames are hard to find for a test ride, nigh on impossible in the UK.

Any other feedback?

Sponge

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    On Friday we went to a german bikepark (Bad Ems) and i saw the first one in real, L size EN build pimped in blue. Too bad the owner had run a flat in the back so i was not able to take it for a short spin

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    On Friday we went to a german bikepark (Bad Ems) and i saw the first one in real, L size EN build pimped in blue. Too bad the owner had run a flat in the back so i was not able to take it for a short spin
    Hey tuenni, that was me! I only had two rides ended with a flat. But I am often at Emser Bikepark so there is aother good chance for a short spin...
    You also can contact me via Instagram (kreisel1304) or Facebook (Christoph Becker)...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey tuenni, that was me! I only had two rides ended with a flat. But I am often at Emser Bikepark so there is aother good chance for a short spin...
    You also can contact me via Instagram (kreisel1304) or Facebook (Christoph Becker)...
    Hey Kreisel
    This is a very nice offer and i would like to take it, iĎm very intrigued about this bike. I donĎt use insta or Facebook, i will contact you here. You can take my hightower instead if you like

mtbr member
    I love the geometry of the Taival. Iím 6í2Ē and the Large fits perfect. I built mine up in September and Itís become my go to bike (over my full sus Yeti). Iím riding it with chunky 2.5/ 2.4 29er wheels and the traction is insane! I recently rode it on a trail with tight switchbacks and didnít really have any issues. I mean climbing around the tight turns was a bit tricky at times but I quickly got used to the wider turning radius and the downhill stability and speed is worth the trade off. Iím looking forward to trying it with some 27.5+ wheels next. Itís a solid bike! The only thing I didnít like was the factory seat post clamp which I could never get tight enough. I replaced it with a hope clamp and no issues since

I'm looking at getting one of these and am 6'3". Can't decide between L and XL. How long is your stem on the large?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My stem is a Syntace Megaforce 2 in 30 mm length and I am 187 cm with a "normal" leg and arm length. Size L fits perfect for me.
    In my opinion, the taival feels less long than expected, maybe because of the high stack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey Kreisel
    This is a very nice offer and i would like to take it, iĎm very intrigued about this bike. I donĎt use insta or Facebook, i will contact you here. You can take my hightower instead if you like
    You have pn

mtbr member
    My stem is a Syntace Megaforce 2 in 30 mm length and I am 187 cm with a "normal" leg and arm length. Size L fits perfect for me.
    In my opinion, the taival feels less long than expected, maybe because of the high stack.
    Hmmm, thanks for that. I'm thinking maybe an XL with a 30mm stem might fit me perfectly. Would be nice as I've never had a frame long enough to run anything less than a 70mm stem. But then the numbers are so out there I think L might be better, I don't know

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Unbelievable. I really like the geometry. Anyone have some time in the saddle on the hardtails? How does the bike feel?

I'd barely tall enough. Could use either the XS or S. (XS is equivalent to my medium Karate Monkey, I think). But I've disproportionately long limbs, and the clyde forum has a lot of gear and fit issues that work for me.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I donīt know what clyde forum is.
    On the website of Pole there are size recommendations that fit very well. Just look at the Evolink geometry chart.
    So I am 187 cm and have the frame size L, as suggested by Pole. And it fits wonderfully. Due to the steep seatangle and the long headtube or stack, the bike does not feel too long despite the long reach. You sit relatively upright.
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    How tall are you fellas on XLs? Seriously thinking of getting one of these as a second bike, but by my math the L is bigger than the XXL YT I'm on now. I'm 6'5"/195cm and actually leaning towards the L.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Get yourself XL, it's not as huge as numbers look. I'm 186 and L feels spot on

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J2D2 View Post
    How tall are you fellas on XLs? Seriously thinking of getting one of these as a second bike, but by my math the L is bigger than the XXL YT I'm on now. I'm 6'5"/195cm and actually leaning towards the L.
    I just pip you at 196cm. But I fit "large" with respect to me having long arms and legs. So I take what would be considered a fairly big bike for the 6'5" spectrum. I have the XL and compared to my old Scott, it's a monster. But in having finally gotten a road bike the fits me almost properly a few years ago, and knowing that nice fit feeling, I would almost say that I could go even larger than the XL by just a bit. Unless you really want something that sizes smaller for playfulness, I wouldn't go for something smaller than XL at your height. But also in saying that, due to my own experience, your physical dimensions could in fact dictate that an L suits, but your height is not really the best way to tell. If you have the money to check, I'd perhaps suggest finding a knowledgeable fitter with a fit bike to ease your mind on which is better

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J2D2 View Post
    Iīm 187 cm and my L fits perfect. Just follow the recommendations on the Pole-HP ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Word, XL is the logical choice but it just looks huge on paper. Then again, my YT is probably just as big compared to what I was riding 10 years ago. About time bike sizing caught up with those of us on the tall end of the bell curve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Try punching the figures for your YT vs the Pole into this for a good visual on the difference

Stack and reach calculator

mtbr member
    Not sure if anyone is watching this tread anymore but I was wondering the widest Maxxis tire you guys are running on the rear? I have a medium frame, i30 rims and the Aggressor 2.5WT didn't fit. Probably try a DHR 2.4 next. Kinda bummed about the tire clearance, thought there'd be more...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyval View Post
    Not sure if anyone is watching this tread anymore but I was wondering the widest Maxxis tire you guys are running on the rear? I have a medium frame, i30 rims and the Aggressor 2.5WT didn't fit. Probably try a DHR 2.4 next. Kinda bummed about the tire clearance, thought there'd be more...
    Damn. That's terrible tire clearance. I had a medium on order. I am super glad the order didn't work out. Personally a 2.5WT Maxxis is just acceptable for tire volume, but I'd much rather have a true width 2.6" tire in the rear. I probably would have just sold the Taival and moved on to something else. I guess I dodged a bullet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, if I would of known I probably would of skipped it. I did get a great deal on a slightly used one, so I'll figure something out. Plan is to eventually try it 'mullet' but I don't have a 27.5 rear right now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

This is the 2.6 Rekon on my frame. The tyre stretched a little so there's about half that clearance now on an i30 rim and I'm going to change it out for a 2.4. The Rekon works nicely for the areas that I ride so at least for now I'll stick with them. I have a 2.5 Aggressor that I was going to use but nice to know that won't work before I go to the trouble of mounting it.

If Pole could move or extend that indentation in the chainstays forward a bit without compromising strength, then that would open up wider tyre options for the 29er

Going mullet would work. It's not ideal I know, but going for a 27.5 rear apparently gives you clearance for 2.8 and maybe 3.0. As I dabble in wheel building I've considered doing it to see how it goes. It should definitely improve the ride a bit with the extra cushioning of a fat rear

mtbr member
    This is the 2.6 Rekon on my frame. The tyre stretched a little so there's about half that clearance now on an i30 rim and I'm going to change it out for a 2.4. The Rekon works nicely for the areas that I ride so at least for now I'll stick with them. I have a 2.5 Aggressor that I was going to use but nice to know that won't work before I go to the trouble of mounting it.
    You have a different sized frame from the rider who had clearance issues with a Aggressor on his medium frame. Tire clearance seems to vary by frame size in these bikes which is why the clearance is so confusing. If you are on an XL and can fit a 2.6" Rekon a 2.5" Aggressor should work. I have both mounted up on i30mm rims:

- Rekon 2.6" = 2.53"
    - Aggressor 2.5" = 2.50"
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes true, thanks

JB
    Any word on when the XL frames will be back in stock? Two emails to Pole and nothing back. I guess they don't want my money..