Orbea Occam for Tall Rider?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Orbea Occam for Tall Rider?

Considering an Occam M30 XL....

XL - Reach = 500, Stack = 646, and TT =649.

I am 6'4" with equal wingspan so ape index of 0.

I really want this bike...but, the top tube is a bit shorter due to the seat angle of 77 degrees.

Anybody else considering shorter top tube bikes in XL?

I may have to stretch to a 65mm stem - would that make the steering feeling wonky?

Alternative is the Santa Cruz Hightower in XXL, but I am less thrilled on that bike for several reasons including customer service, looking for something a little less enduro like, and cost...

My riding is generally easy to moderate trail riding starting with consistent climb followed by downhill....

Cheers and thanks for input....

mtbr member
    That does sound a bit tight. I'm 6'5" and on a Megatower and a GG Pedalhead. The Megatower's 76 STA could be a degree steeper but it's a bigger bike (515mm reach and 666?mm stack). The Pedalhead is about as close as I'd want my seat to the bars. I don't keep up with TT numbers but with those reach, stack and STA numbers it sounds cramped and like it would put a lot of weight on my hands. I wouldn't go longer stem because I prefer 50mm or less.

Have you looked at Guerrilla Gravity?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for that perspective....

GG looks ok, but not drawn to their branding very much. I also have broke every FS frame I have and value lifetime warranties. GG's approach is to make it right, but what right is, is ambiguous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Considering an Occam M30 XL....

XL - Reach = 500, Stack = 646, and TT =649.

I am 6'4" with equal wingspan so ape index of 0.

I really want this bike...but, the top tube is a bit shorter due to the seat angle of 77 degrees.

Anybody else considering shorter top tube bikes in XL?

I may have to stretch to a 65mm stem - would that make the steering feeling wonky?

Alternative is the Santa Cruz Hightower in XXL, but I am less thrilled on that bike for several reasons including customer service, looking for something a little less enduro like, and cost...

My riding is generally easy to moderate trail riding starting with consistent climb followed by downhill....

Cheers and thanks for input....
    I think you w be alright. Its got a climbers focus, being a bit short and long stays pulls the weight forward. But the long stays reach and hta mean it should be pretty nice on the downs as well. Bb is a bit low so keep the cranks short and pedals thin.

I run a 70mm stem on my bike and its fine at speed but sucks on tight trails as the slack hta w long stem means it flops and drops in the turns and you have to pull it back as much as you turn the bars. Not a good feeling. So id stay away from anything past 60mm. Maybe 55 is best.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good thought. Appreciate it. Comes stock with a 55mm on XL so that should help a smidge. Can play with seat rails a bit within comfort....Still thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Saw that. Looks good - great reach and top tube... Hesitant to go with a chain reaction bike...I have had four FS bikes and broke them all. I am going to wait to try a few different bikes and see. Still got a soft spot for the Occam.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm 6'4" also. The XL 2020 Occam is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. It pedaled extremely well. Better than my Ripmo which I sold. It's on my short list including new XL SC Tallboy and Yeti SB130. I demoed the XXL Tallboy also but preferred the XL. The new Hightower didn't pedal as well and seamed closer to a Megatower.