mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Norco Torrent 1 HT for 375lb rider?

I know there have been many of these type of posts but Iím looking for specific thoughts on this bike.

Specifically, on the things I feel are possibly the weakest links on the bike such as like hubs? Cranks? Brakes?

Also looking for thoughts on the Evo Diamond fork. Max Air pressure from what I can see is 170PSI... thoughts.

Background, dropped from 420lbs to 375lbs, have stationary bike which I ride everyday and have made major lifestyle changes in what I eat to continue losing weight. That said, my goal is to get down to around 230-240.

Trails will be very light for now until my weight comes down. Once weight is down even then I ride mostly singletrack

Please feel free to suggest other bikes or components as needed.

thanks

mtbr member
    Wish I could help more...I'm riding a Torrent HT but I built mine so my components are a bit better then what is stock on that bike. Mine has a Pike RC up front, Guide RS brakes which I find to be lacking in stopping power (throwing a 203mm rotor up front and sintered pads to see if that helps), SRAM X1 shifter/derailluer, Race Face Turbine crank, and WTB i35 Frequency rims laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs.

I am around 300 so not light by any stretch of the imagination but I don't have any issues with my bike or parts so far. While they are not exactly the same as you'd have on your Torrent...I don't think they are so far off that I'd expect that you'd have any major issues either except for maybe the wheels. That's the one place I'd be a little worried. 32h rims will definitely be stressed to the max and the stock Novacrap rear hub may or may not last long. If you have the $$$ to spare it might not be a terrible idea to look into having a new rear wheel built. Something 36h and a better hub...Hope Pro 4 IMO offers best bang for the buck and after having 4 sets of Hope hubs to date...I've never been let down. For a little less money but also a little less performance but still a burly good quality hub to consider would be the DT Swiss 350. And from experience with my Guide RS brakes...you may want to go ahead and get a 203mm front rotor right off the bat and possibly upgrade your brake pads too.

So not exactly helpful but hopefully I was able to provide a little insight.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member

Norco Torrent 1 HT for 375lb rider?

I was once 300 lbs. i got some wobbly wheels once in a while but they had 1.8mm spokes.

I really didnít start breaking stuff till i was 260 and in better shape. I went thru wheels and free hubs that couldnít take my torque.

I actually would get a spoke put in and roll down the street and pop another spoke. My lbs figured it was from torque so they re laced it with 2.0 dt spokes and never had a wobbly wheel or problem after.

Then i started blowing free hubs. Got worse as i got lighter and better in shape.

Never broke a chain, but i wear out chains in like 4-500km on 1x. Im hard on brake pads.

I suggest getting a bike you can afford with boost and then getting a overkill wheelset built. Strong rims, 32 2.0 dt spokes with brass nipples, dt 350 hubs and then you keep them and take them to your next bike. Most bikes i find unless s-works like specíd dont have wheels i would ride on it stock.

I built some i27 nexties rated for 160kg with 32 spokes and 240 hubs. Ran them 2 years now and are still dead straight.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Iíve found another bike that the deal is almost too good to pass up. I am adding the 2018 Jamis Dragon Slayer Pro 27.5+. I much prefer the fork, better rims, better drive train.... not sure on the cranks. Iím not a fan of the colour but with savings might even paint it lol

Thoughts?.

mtbr member
    Painting will usually void any frame warranty the bike has unless Jamis has an authorized painter. Just FYI. And Jamis having a lifetime warranty on their hardtails, you weighing 375 pounds...I'd just learn to live with the color and keep that warranty in tact. Personally I love the color.

I'm sure the crank will be fine. I run a Truvativ crank on my single speed. It's been good to go for several years now. Truvativ isn't a junk off brand in case you didn't know. It's actually SRAM...I guess kinda like their house brand and used more as OEM parts and to get SRAM stuff on bikes that aren't primarily SRAM equipped...such as cases when shifting bits are Shimano but they throw a Truvativ crank on there.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Itís official... I ordered the Jamis!!

I canít wait for it to arrive. My only concern straight away is the dropper post.

Not sure about dropper posts in general at my weight let alone an entry level one.

Probably just sell it and grab a Thompson

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Thompson post is definitely a good move. If you're not hitting trails right now there's not much point having a dropper. I'd replace with the Thompson. Then when your weight is down and you are riding some stuff that you'd benefit from having a dropper, then put the one you have back on or buy a new one if you do sell the stock one.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Iím think the Thompson Elite post... trying decide it I want the straight or setback model...

Im thinking the straight and then adjust position with a longer stem if needed

Thoughts ?

mtbr member
    That would depend on how the frame fits. I tend to go with larger frames so setback posts don't ever work for me. Keep in mind that it can also change how the bike handles. If you get too far back you'll have rear wheel grip for days but you might end up with twitchy steering and popping wheelies on climbs. But if you have a long torso or arms...you might not have a choice if you want to avoid a ridiculously long stem. Maybe your shop will have a setback post that they will let you try if the bike doesn't fit well enough out of the box.

How tall are you and what size bike did you order? Are your arms proportionate to your body? Long torso or long legs?
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Iím 5í11 but have really short legs...

Iíve tried large frames in the past (when I weighed much less) and always found them a little big. Typically, I ran straight Seatpost with a 110mm stem on a medium frame.

This worked awesome on my last two bikes Norco Exe+ and Charger.

I ordered a medium of the jamis.. it comes with a 70mm stem which Iíll probably change to a Thompson 110mm

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" on an XL Torrent running a 35mm stem and straight (dropper) post. Fit is perfect for me. All my bikes currently are XL with the exception of my Private Jake...it's a 58cm so not sure if that translates to a L or XL. All my road bikes have been 58cm. When I had my Jamis Renegade it came stock with a setback post and it was terrible. I couldn't ride it until I got a straight post. I'm not a fan of long stems...it causes me to put too much weight on my hands and they go numb and slows down the steering too much. Makes my bike feel like I'm driving a tractor...lol...important thing is that the setup works for you of course.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hopefully itíll be fine... standovee height of the large was 33Ē...

Iím absolutely certain that would be a problem lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So after I ordered a new Thompson Seatpost I decided to reach out to KS to see if the stock dropper post had a weight limit.

There response was itíll work fine at all weights! Couple that with a 2 year warranty on the post... I think Iím going to give it a go.

mtbr member
    My KS has been fine. Sometimes it feels like it's slipped just a tiny bit. When it feels like that I just drop it and then let it pop back up and all is good. When this happens it's not like it dropped much. Just enough that you can tell but not like halfway down or anything. And it's not often...maybe once in a 10+ mile long ride. Otherwise...my KS dropper has been great.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1