New springs or new fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New springs or new fork?

I've got an 03 Rockshox Pilot xc on my bike. It is way undersprung and kinda flexy for my taste. I'm a clyde at 6'2" and 250#. My question is this...do I spring for firmer springs? If so, where can I get them? My lbs is very lame and looked at me like I was crazy when I inquired about changing out to a firmer spring. I've already tried running the fork at the maximum 50# of pressure. The fork does an admirable job of soaking up the bumps, but when I hammer out of the saddle, I can just about bottom out the fork.

OR

Do I just scrap the Pilot and buy a new fork? I've found a couple of deals on 03 Manitou Black Elites 80/100 or 100/120 both with and without lockout for around $200 new + shipping. Would this fork be a better option for me? Would I still end up changing out the springs? Would it be considerably stiffer? Is it a decent price?

OR

Can anyone recommend an even better choice for me? The catch is this...I work seasonally and it is the off season right now so my budget is limited to <$300. I'm not opposed to buying a new fork that is a year or 2 old or even a used fork. I'd like to stay in the 80mm-120mm travel category since my FS has 5" of rear travel. As much as I would like a stable platform fork, I realize my budget won't allow. Any opinions on lockout or non lockout forks?

how heavy are you ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone Yeti
    I've got an 03 Rockshox Pilot xc on my bike. It is way undersprung and kinda flexy for my taste. I'm a clyde at 6'2" and 250#. My question is this...do I spring for firmer springs? If so, where can I get them? My lbs is very lame and looked at me like I was crazy when I inquired about changing out to a firmer spring. I've already tried running the fork at the maximum 50# of pressure. The fork does an admirable job of soaking up the bumps, but when I hammer out of the saddle, I can just about bottom out the fork.

OR

Do I just scrap the Pilot and buy a new fork? I've found a couple of deals on 03 Manitou Black Elites 80/100 or 100/120 both with and without lockout for around $200 new + shipping. Would this fork be a better option for me? Would I still end up changing out the springs? Would it be considerably stiffer? Is it a decent price?

OR

Can anyone recommend an even better choice for me? The catch is this...I work seasonally and it is the off season right now so my budget is limited to <$300. I'm not opposed to buying a new fork that is a year or 2 old or even a used fork. I'd like to stay in the 80mm-120mm travel category since my FS has 5" of rear travel. As much as I would like a stable platform fork, I realize my budget won't allow. Any opinions on lockout or non lockout forks?
    lookinto Marzocchi or fox that pilot is made for weenies like my grandma you need probably a fox shox i have a marz mxc and it is a great fork

Steamroller

Scrap the Pilot Quick

I have a Pilot near new in a box in the garage I scrapped it after about 2 rides. I also scrapped my only other Rockshox a Psylo XC after it was still too wimpy with the extra firm springs. I doubt I'll ever try another.

I currently use Marzocchi on both my MTBs an MX pro air 105 on my Singlespeed and a ZI Freeride SL on my doubleboinger. My old Z4 flylight air worked great for 3+ years and then I sold that bike to a buddy and it's working still for him. I'm sold on Marzocchi especially for us Clydes. Fox is supposed to be good too, but I have no experience with them and they are expensive. Put the Pilot on your womans bike ( unless she is a serious rider)
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

just along for the ride
    Dump that fork ASAP before you get hurt, get a fox, manatou, or zoke and get the spring to fit your size. Cambriabike.com still has some '03 Fox 125 Vanilla r for $320. Lock out is OK if you need it Zoke has the best system but best to learn to spin and save that energy that hammering costs, good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I currently use Marzocchi on both my MTBs an MX pro air 105 on my Singlespeed
    Did you have to change out the springs or are you still using the stock springs?

Steamroller

I change air, easier and cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone Yeti
    Did you have to change out the springs or are you still using the stock springs?
    Both of my Marzochhi are air sprung( the MX has a coil too I think )so I just add air until they are stiff enough. Not like the air sprung pilots that are just air assist to prevent bottoming and can't be firmed up due to soft sprung travel majority of the travel . Air is great for Clydes, but some folks say that Rock Shox air forks will not hold up for long if the ride is heavy, others use them for years with no problem. The reviews on MTBR are a good way to see what other users think about a given fork.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big