mtbr member
    Jan 2019

New guy from Louisiana

Hi folks. 6’6, 375 lb rider here. And Mrs Clydesdale is 5’3, 230.

We are from Laplace Louisiana. About 30 minutes west of New Orleans. Back in 2016 we bought a couple of department store bikes to try riding the paved trails around here and found we really enjoy riding. Well those bikes got stolen and life got weird for a while, but a few weeks ago we bought our first “real” bikes. I went with a Trek Marlin 7 and the wife got a Trek Verve 2.

We are currently only riding the paved trails around here. My bike handles me fine for that but i can’t risk destroying it off-road till I drop about a hundred lbs, which is the plan for both of us. We have radically changed our eating habits and are working hard to get in plenty of exercise, biking and otherwise.

We did our longest ride ever the other day, 40 miles on the Tammany Trace which is part of the Rails to Trails network. The entire length of it is 30 miles or so which would make a 60 mile round trip and we plan to do that in a couple months.

The best part of this trail is that it passes through Abita Springs, home of the Abita Brewery and the Abita Brewhouse pub. So we get to end rides with rediculously good food and beer.

My bike is currently back at the shop to have the wheels trued up. They weren’t properly assembled in the first place and after that 40 miles i had a broken spoke and a ton of super loose ones. I plan to, in the coming months, have a set of beefed up wheels built to hold me a bit better. Anyway, here are a couple pics. Glad to be here and riding again!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Congrats- Great path you've chosen as a couple. Good luck. A better wheelset or at least a rear wheel is likely. 36 spoke wheels can handle more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Congratulations on the lifestyle change. Its fun and healthy way to enjoy life. Keep it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampcrawler View Post
    we bought our first “real” bikes. I went with a Trek Marlin 7 and the wife got a Trek Verve 2.

We did our longest ride ever the other day, 40 miles on the Tammany Trace which is part of the Rails to Trails network. The entire length of it is 30 miles or so which would make a 60 mile round trip and we plan to do that in a couple months.

My bike is currently back at the shop to have the wheels trued up. They weren’t properly assembled in the first place and after that 40 miles i had a broken spoke and a ton of super loose ones. I plan to, in the coming months, have a set of beefed up wheels built to hold me a bit better. Anyway, here are a couple pics. Glad to be here and riding again!!
    Welcome to the forum!

That is a great start with 40miles.
    I started with a Marlin some years ago. I kinda want a new one, but I have some serious attachments to the one I ride now.

I also had some issues with spokes breaking, but TREK took care of me. I went with a beefier wheels myself, and using 36 spokes.

BTW,

Make sure to update the 2019 Fatboy Challenge with your 40miles and whatever you do in the future. Its a simple process, just add your miles to the current amount by posting it.

https://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-...a-1095176.html
    TREK 2012 Marlin
    TREK 2013 Superfly Comp - Carbon