Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    I have joint pains and ride a FS fat bike year round (Trek Farley EX8). Ibuprofen works ok for that, Tramadol works better. Most of my issues are with wrist arthritis. My knees used to be a problem, but no issues at all since I had them replaced a 4 years ago. No question the FS with Ergon grips helps keep the wrists comfortable, doesn't really do much for the hands. I had bike-aggravated carpal tunnel syndrome...had carpal tunnel surgery on the right a couple of months ago, which solved that problem in that hand. Getting the left on operated on this coming Friday. I'll have the surgeon inject my wrists while I'm sedated. Those injections tend to hurt.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    I have joint pains and ride a FS fat bike year round (Trek Farley EX8). Ibuprofen works ok for that, Tramadol works better. Most of my issues are with wrist arthritis. My knees used to be a problem, but no issues at all since I had them replaced a 4 years ago. No question the FS with Ergon grips helps keep the wrists comfortable, doesn't really do much for the hands. I had bike-aggravated carpal tunnel syndrome...had carpal tunnel surgery on the right a couple of months ago, which solved that problem in that hand. Getting the left on operated on this coming Friday. I'll have the surgeon inject my wrists while I'm sedated. Those injections tend to hurt.
    VA told me that my carpal tunnel is bad enough to warrant surgery but it's not bad enough to be the end of the world. I've noticed that my hands twitch and tremble slightly every now and then, even when typing. I have a hard time maintaining my grip on my bike and with handtools. One of my friends had surgery for his carpal tunnel and his hand works perfectly now.

When I first started mountain biking over 3 years ago, I had similar joint pains while riding my hardtail. These pains were mitigated when I started riding FS. I love hardtails, but it seems that I may need a FS bike if I want to start hitting up actual trails simply due to all of these issues with my joints. Oh, and I flat out refuse to join the e-bike mountain biking community due to my problems
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    VA told me that my carpal tunnel is bad enough to warrant surgery but it's not bad enough to be the end of the world. I've noticed that my hands twitch and tremble slightly every now and then, even when typing. I have a hard time maintaining my grip on my bike and with handtools. One of my friends had surgery for his carpal tunnel and his hand works perfectly now.

When I first started mountain biking over 3 years ago, I had similar joint pains while riding my hardtail. These pains were mitigated when I started riding FS. I love hardtails, but it seems that I may need a FS bike if I want to start hitting up actual trails simply due to all of these issues with my joints. Oh, and I flat out refuse to join the e-bike mountain biking community due to my problems
    Sounds like you would benefit from carpal tunnel surgery. Do they ever bother you at night in bed...wake you from sleep?

Recovery from endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery is pretty quick. I had my right hand fixed on a Friday and was back at work on Monday. Hit the single track that next weekend without difficulty. If that operation is done open (incision down the middle of the palm) then recovery is longer. Not sure what's available at your VA, but there is a distinctly different recovery between the two methods.

jcd's best friend
    Sounds like you would benefit from carpal tunnel surgery. Do they ever bother you at night in bed...wake you from sleep?

Recovery from endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery is pretty quick. I had my right hand fixed on a Friday and was back at work on Monday. Hit the single track that next weekend without difficulty. If that operation is done open (incision down the middle of the palm) then recovery is longer. Not sure what's available at your VA, but there is a distinctly different recovery between the two methods.
    My hands go numb in my sleep on a regular basis. They also go numb when I type on a keyboard or drive my truck. I'm not entirely sure what the VA uses for their surgical procedure. I plan to talk to my doctor about it in February when I see him again. They performed an EMG test on my hands/arms to figure out how bad it was.

I am going to be graduating college in the spring so I want to finish that first and get the surgery in early summer right after I graduate. They will need to perform surgery on both of my hands and my elbow so I can't say for sure how long my recovery time will be. I don't know if they will just do all 3 at once or split them up. I will assume that they will split them all up into 3 surgeries.

jcd's best friend
    Welp, I’ve gone and done it. I bought another mountain bike. I picked up this 2018 Transition Sentinel NX from Evo.com when it was on sale. It’s a pretty heavy bike when compared to my hardtail, but it will be a perfect fit for my riding style. I am considering the idea to try enduro racing in my area. It’s something I really like and I want to give it a shot. I plan to address my health first and get my weight down. I might as well do something with my improving fitness levels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    As of today, I've burned 30 lbs in weight. I am now 255 lbs. I lost close to 5 lbs from mountain biking 22 miles and climbing over 3,500ft in just a week. I seem to gravitate toward mountain biking in the winter. My Trek Emonda was never meant to be a winter riding bike, but I plan to get fenders so I can continue to work on my endurance.

I also had a doctor appointment regarding my carpal tunnel issues. I also found out that I have tendinitis in both hands in 6 fingers! It explains my really brutal hand pains. I had a problem holding on to my bar over my last several rides. The doc shot my hand up with a steroid and it will provide me with temporary relief. I may end up needing surgery on both hands, but they want to wait and see how things play out first.

Other than that, I've been going buck wild on my Sentinel! The bike weighs 35 lbs and it's a little challenging in the climbs, but very manageable thanks to the seat angle. I plan to combat some of this bike weight by continuing with my weight loss goals and include some strength training as well.

I am all for upgrading my bike to make it lightweight and easier to handle, but I can work around it through strength and personal weight loss. It's much cheaper this way! Adding more core strength will allow me to push my bike uphill much better and my personal weight loss goals will lighten up my climbing.

I have a goal to drop more weight by spring and enter into some of my local non-competitive enduro races. From what I've learned, I can perform a general signup just to try it out.

I want something to show for my hard work and enduro racing is what it will be. I had a taste of it on the mountain a couple of weeks ago and now I'm addicted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Losing the weight made a big difference for me. When I weighed 280 - 320lbs, and was only able to ride 25% of a local trail that Iike. I could only make half of the climbs then.
    At the beginning of 2018 season, I was down below 250lbs and I was doing 1 1/2 - 2 whole loops with doing 90% of the hills.

Actually a couple times I went 2 days in a row, and that wasnt happening before. I'm going to work hard to be close to 200lbs as possible and I want to know what I can do on that trail.
    TREK 2012 Marlin
    TREK 2013 Superfly Comp - Carbon

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    Losing the weight made a big difference for me. When I weighed 280 - 320lbs, and was only able to ride 25% of a local trail that Iike. I could only make half of the climbs then.
    At the beginning of 2018 season, I was down below 250lbs and I was doing 1 1/2 - 2 whole loops with doing 90% of the hills.

Actually a couple times I went 2 days in a row, and that wasnt happening before. I'm going to work hard to be close to 200lbs as possible and I want to know what I can do on that trail.
    That's great to hear! I normally climb between 5k - 6k feet in a week on my road bike. It's hard to get more climbing with the weather changing around here. I'm not sure why, but my Sentinel mentally pushes me to ride my old trails much harder than before. It's a neat feeling when I don't get sore from my mountain bike adventures. It's a great sign that I'm doing things right.

I am still having issues with my heartrate climbing way too high which causes heavy fatigue. 99% of the time, I have to hike on my climbs due to my heartrate wearing me down. My body feels great, but my heartrate is just off the scale!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I really don't think it's the cold air, but I've noticed lately that I wake up feeling really refreshed.

I don't know if it's a combination of the weight loss and cold riding.

Alarm goes off, no need to hit snooze. I now look forward to getting in some rides in at night so I can have a really good sleep.

Last few days I have hated riding with a stretched chain. I've been waiting on the delivery. My LBS didnt have a 8speed cassette.

BTW,

Reason I felt to post that info, because of not needing that darn CPAP machine.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm frustrated.. i try to watch what i eat.. I've been working out / riding.. and I seem to stay stuck at 265lbs... down from 276~lbs or so at heaviest..

but I can't seem to get lower than 265lbs..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    I'm frustrated.. i try to watch what i eat.. I've been working out / riding.. and I seem to stay stuck at 265lbs... down from 276~lbs or so at heaviest..

That could be a factor of your body putting on muscle. Take measurements, monitor your waistline and how clothing fits for a better indication of how you’re going. Way back when I first made the move to lose weight in university, I had heaps of spare time and chose the gym. My body changed a LOT but I actually ended up 5kg heavier after 2 years of serious gym work. When I finished uni, I started playing rugby again and the muscle mass became a hindrance so I stopped lifting. Over the course of the 6 month season I lost 30kg which was mostly my muscle mass

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Believe me, I know your frustration. I lost the majority of my weight loss last year, with a little just before this past summer.

During the summer, my weight fluctuation was between 241 - 249lbs(that's after I did see 235 on the scale) ALL SUMMER!!! I didnt let it get to me, but when it did start to really get me frustrated is when the lbs starting coming down again.

When I seen that 235 on the scale is when I posted I lost 85lbs. Then it went into that up and down crap.

Right now, I'm seeing the difference. I mean I Actually see it myself.

The newest and greatest to my ego happened yesterday. Company had a couple extra shirts with their logo, and my manager put a size Large on my desk. I asked her, "what am I suppose to do with that". She says it's your size, and just take it.

I have no idea as to why I tried it on. My jaw dropped when I seen that it fit. Not snug, but with room. It felt good and had me happy with the thought of ITS ALL WORTH IT!!!

btw,
    I couldn't button the top button.... lmao
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
    That could be a factor of your body putting on muscle. Take measurements, monitor your waistline and how clothing fits for a better indication of how you’re going. Way back when I first made the move to lose weight in university, I had heaps of spare time and chose the gym. My body changed a LOT but I actually ended up 5kg heavier after 2 years of serious gym work. When I finished uni, I started playing rugby again and the muscle mass became a hindrance so I stopped lifting. Over the course of the 6 month season I lost 30kg which was mostly my muscle mass
    that might be the case here.. I have become much stronger (again) .. a few years ago I was down to 220 and super muscular (miss that) but then had a shoulder injury.. but stuff is fitting differently again sleeves of t shirts are stretched by arm muscles and my legs are way stronger from the biking.. still annoying to see 265lbs every time I get on the scales .. but hopefully can get back down to 220~ish again.. at some point that would be fantastic...

mtbr member
    Lately, I have been evaluating some of my oddball joint pains. I left the military with joint pains in my ankles, knees, hands, back, etc. Ever since I started riding a hardtail again, I've noticed way more joint pain than normal. Prior to riding my hardtail, I had no major joint pains because I was riding a FS bike. I've been taking military grade Ibuprofen to help me function. Last weekend, I rode my bike up Tiger Mountain (located here in WA) which was a great time. I ended up climbing a grand total of 2,200ft and set a personal Strava record of 1,500ft for a single climb. The descent wore my joints out when I tried to ride the diamond and intermediate trails back to the bottom. Physically, I felt great! I can tell that my road cycling has helped me with my endurance (even though I haven't road cycled in a month).

It seems most of my joint pains are in my knees and ankles when I mountain bike. My back pain is minor because I try to focus on technique and engage my core. My saddle height is set correctly.

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my hands and the VA wants to perform surgery to correct it. At least I know what causes my hand pains when I ride. I think my aggressive riding doesn't work well with my hardtail, but this is just a guess. I am in the market to pick up a FS bike because n+1 is awesome like that! I've located a nice 2015 Santa Cruz Bronson that I may scope out if I can get the seller to bring the price down. I also thought about finding a nice FS frame and just swap my parts over to it.

Does anyone else deal with joint pains and hardtails?
    "In this article, Ross Hauser MD explains why chronic non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) usage can make pain worse in the long-term and accelerate the need for joint replacement."

https://www.caringmedical.com/prolot...n-medications/

If you must take anti inflammatories, I recommend you get a script for Meloxicam...trade name of Mobec. It is another NSAID that works far better on my arthritis than ANY other NSAID I've ever tried and it causes less gastrointestinal stress. One tiny 15mg pill a day for a few days to take care of a flare up; then I get off them to be kind to my liver until inflammation gets out of hand. My regular go to for inflammation is fish oil and turmeric root or supplements.

mtbr member
    I've been taking military grade Ibuprofen to help me function.
    LOL at “military grade ibuprofen”. It’s 800mg, same as 4 tablets of “civilian grade ibuprofen”.

Different NSAIDS affect different people differently. Meloxicam does have fewer potential side long-term effects, although the risk of stomach bleeding is higher. The other issue is that meloxicam is prescription-only and is expensive. Those with osteoarthritis should “ask your doctor if meloxicam is right for you” and try it if ibuprofen isn’t working as well as they would like.

jcd's best friend

My weight loss adventure

LOL at “military grade ibuprofen”. It’s 800mg, same as 4 tablets of “civilian grade ibuprofen”.
    My line wasn’t meant to be taken seriously. It was my joke because the military always gave us 800mg ibuprofen pills as a “cure all” for anything. I’ve taken meloxicam in the past and it doesn’t help.

mtbr member
    My line wasn’t meant to be taken seriously. It was my joke because the military always gave us 800mg ibuprofen pills as a “cure all” for anything. I’ve taken meloxicam in the past and it doesn’t help.
    I figured it was tongue-in-cheek. Not surprised about the meloxicam. It tends to be more variable between people in its effectiveness for arthritis. Ibuprofen remains the good ol' standby.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    killing time and getting out of my wife's way while she cooks.. went on ride.. I guess in what is a good sign.. my mtb shorts actually seem on the verge of being to big for me now.. I may have to buy size smaller soon..

mtbr member
    killing time and getting out of my wife's way while she cooks.. went on ride.. I guess in what is a good sign.. my mtb shorts actually seem on the verge of being to big for me now.. I may have to buy size smaller soon..
    I know, right? Normally, I do about 70% of the cooking around here, but at Thanksgiving, family tradition runs strong with her and my input and assistance is "neither requested nor desired".

jcd's best friend
    I got my ride done before the rain came. I did some jump line fun! I’m slowly working on trusting myself to speed and clear jumps. I hope to start doing tailwhips soon!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

jcd's best friend
    I would like to share a video that I created. It was for my creative nonfiction writing class in college. I had to take one of my creative nonfiction essays and bring it to life. My class was a bit blown away from what I did and didn't know what to say. It didn't help that I went first in line too.

In this video, I explored my anxiety issues while mountain biking. I recorded much of this footage over the course of 3 months. I didn't know what to do with it until now.

I'd thought I'd share it with all of you. Hopefully, there will be no musical copyright issues between now and the next few days lol! I have a license to use the first song.

On the plus side, I got my bitrate correct FINALLY!! I also got my color palletes correct FINALLY!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Damn dude!! That was nice! You got an A+ right?

Is it anxiety or just being smart? Because I did some dumbshit, and I wish I had something in me telling me not to try it.

I can think of one right now. I was just getting over a horrible gout attack in my right wrist. For 1, I shouldn't been riding, but nooooooo I had to try a dropoff aswell with only 1 good wrist. To this day, I'm truly happy no one was filming.

All I could hear was my friend telling me, "ok dude, we will keep this between us".... lol

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    Damn dude!! That was nice! You got an A+ right?

Is it anxiety or just being smart? Because I did some dumbshit, and I wish I had something in me telling me not to try it.

I can think of one right now. I was just getting over a horrible gout attack in my right wrist. For 1, I shouldn't been riding, but nooooooo I had to try a dropoff aswell with only 1 good wrist. To this day, I'm truly happy no one was filming.

All I could hear was my friend telling me, "ok dude, we will keep this between us".... lol
    Thanks! I think I got full marks for my video. My teacher made the mistake of letting me go first. Yeah, the rest of the class felt inadequate when compared to my work.

It's straight up anxiety. I have an anxiety disorder which is hereditary. I can do a lot of stuff on the trail, but wooden ramps cause the worst panic attacks I've ever had. I've been trying to deal with them over the last 3+ years but I've made no progress. I can drop anywhere on the trail as long as there are no ramps.

My friends think that it's the sound and the feel of riding on wooden planks. Mentally, I know I can jump from those ramps. But at the same time, my panic kicks in and I view a simple wooden ramp as a broken bridge that dumps you into a ravine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12