Looking for MTB shoe that is not Tour de France narrow...- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Looking for MTB shoe that is not Tour de France narrow...

Can you recommend a good shoe for an XC/adventure race clyde? Normal width shoe, I dont need a E or EE width. Which manufacturer is generally wider? I know for a fact that Answers are a little too narrow for my feet (rode them all last year). And I tried Shimano and they were narrow too. Although the Shimano M-058 shoes look pretty tough (check Performancebike.com for the M-058). I race adventure races, so these look great for hike-a-bike sections.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I borrowed some Nike Kato shoes from a friend once and thought that they were really nice. My feet are not skinny and they felt fine to me. Maybe you should look at those. I ride with som old hand me down Forte (Performance) shoes. They're kinda like this wierd skate shoe-ish thing but with pretty hard soles. I saw them online the other day for $10 or something redicuous.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I borrowed some Nike Kato shoes from a friend once and thought that they were really nice. My feet are not skinny and they felt fine to me. Maybe you should look at those. I ride with som old hand me down Forte (Performance) shoes. They're kinda like this wierd skate shoe-ish thing but with pretty hard soles. I saw them online the other day for $10 or something redicuous.
    Did you like the Forte's and were they the Ascent model by chance?

not so super...

Specialized

Quote Originally Posted by DCepp
    Can you recommend a good shoe for an XC/adventure race clyde? Normal width shoe, I dont need a E or EE width. Which manufacturer is generally wider? I know for a fact that Answers are a little too narrow for my feet (rode them all last year). And I tried Shimano and they were narrow too. Although the Shimano M-058 shoes look pretty tough (check Performancebike.com for the M-058). I race adventure races, so these look great for hike-a-bike sections.
    I have a wide foot that borders on needing an E width and I find the Specialized models very comfortable and affordable. If you can't find them at a LBS you can get them on line at www.specialized.com
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    SIDI makes some great fitting shoes that come in sizes up to 50 and even have a "Mega" line that runs a bit wider in the same size range. It's worth a look. Sidis fit great! cost waaaaayyy too much, walk and grip like Dutch clogs but as long as you're clipped in they are the best. .
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

Second the Specialized

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I have a wide foot that borders on needing an E width and I find the Specialized models very comfortable and affordable. If you can't find them at a LBS you can get them on line at www.specialized.com

I just got my Specialized Pro Carbon road shoes last night and they're sweet. I'll be getting some of the mountain bike shoes too when my Shimano M-320 wear out completely. Nice wide toe box without being too wide and sloppy. Get to a shop and try some on. As you may have guessed, I like Shimano shoes too.

Jun 2003

Sidi.

hands down, the best shoes. Costly, but in the long run, way worth it. NO ONE makes shoes like the Italians.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sidi Mega's

You'll pay big for them, but the Sidi Mega sized shoes fit like a glove for those with wide feet.

Also, for those who mentioned specialized, what I found when I worked at a shop that sold them, was that the heel was entirely too wide for most people, which means you'll be pulling out of them a bit too much. For the truly wide footed, usually the toe box needs to be wide, but tapered back to a regular sized heel. With the wide toe, wide heel design, the specialized fit people with big feet (you'll find you're probably a size or two smaller running the spec's), but not nessasarily wide. Specialized makes a great shoe, but not so much for the wide footed. Sidi seems to be the only company that's really got the whole wide footed thing down.

Sean

mtbr member
    Third.
    I've got two pairs and they're both pretty wide.. And they've got super-stiff soles as well.

Mar 2004

Good job! Give Pearls a try

If you can, see if you can try on some Pearl Izumi vagabonds. I am a clyde and I have a pretty wide foot (no idea how wide, really) and I love them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Another vote for Sidi,

I used to go through a set of shoes just about every season. Granted I paid less but when you spend $100-125 every year on shoes $180 on a pair that is now on their fourth season sounds pretty good. My next shoes will be sidi's that's for sure. I'd stay away from their top line stuff they seem to have more issues with them the dominator/genius line has always been solid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Northwave has some good shoes too...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    Another vote for Sidi,

I used to go through a set of shoes just about every season. Granted I paid less but when you spend $100-125 every year on shoes $180 on a pair that is now on their fourth season sounds pretty good. My next shoes will be sidi's that's for sure. I'd stay away from their top line stuff they seem to have more issues with them the dominator/genius line has always been solid.

I bought some on sale a couple of years ago and they fit great! I have a wide foot with a high arch!

Rollin' a fatty
    Diadora, Specialized, Sidi Mega

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2nd the Pearl's

I have both Specialized and Pearl Vapors. The pearls are wider in the toe box but fit much like my Specialized. Pearls have a MUCH stiffer carbon sole.

mtbr member
    Diadora's run wide.

mtbr member

I second that

Quote Originally Posted by RC JonB
    If you can, see if you can try on some Pearl Izumi vagabonds. I am a clyde and I have a pretty wide foot (no idea how wide, really) and I love them.
    I looked high and low and these fit my feet really well
    Chubbs

There is a difference between the illusion of freedom and the reality of freedom

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RC JonB
    Are they comfortable enough to walk uphill with your bike for 30-45 minutes? I used Answers last year and dealt with it a 30 minute hike-a-bike up Mt Snow in Vermont. How is the durability? I found a pair for $60. Good price in you opinion?

R.I.P. DogFriend

B'hiking Shoes

My feet are both long and wide. I sometimes wear a EE or have even worn a EEE width shoes and Iím either a 13 or 14 depending on the shoe (a 13.5 would be ideal in most cases, but few companies seem to want to make them). Iím about a 49 in MTB lingo. I have worn Airwalk and AXO Cortez that were OK, but my current shoe is a Shimano 036. Itís by far been the best fitting cycling shoe I have worn. I have yet to wear a cycling shoe that Iíd call as comfortable as some of my cross training shoes because of the stiff soles required for cycling, but these have a great sole for bíhiking (as I call it). They are more of a casual looking shoe that I donít feel too bad wearing into a store or casual dining establishment if need be.

Mar 2004
    Are they comfortable enough to walk uphill with your bike for 30-45 minutes? I used Answers last year and dealt with it a 30 minute hike-a-bike up Mt Snow in Vermont. How is the durability? I found a pair for $60. Good price in you opinion?
    I don't know if any stiff soled bike shoe is comfortable to walk for 30-45 minutes in. I've never tried doing that...but they're comfortable riding my bike on the trails for several hours. That's all I can base the comfort on.

Good luck.

Feb 2004

Votes for Cannondale and Forte

I prefer more of a "hiking" type shoe than a super-stiff race shoe (my rides usually have a hike-a-bike section) and I have very wide feet. I've found Cannondales quite comfortable and I just purchased a pair of those Performance Forte Traverse II shoes for $30 (link: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=16310) - they're excellent and very comfortable too.

If you have big feet, you may also find platform/clipless type pedals (like the Crank Bros Mallet or Time Z) more comfortable as well.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bykhed
    I prefer more of a "hiking" type shoe than a super-stiff race shoe (my rides usually have a hike-a-bike section) and I have very wide feet. I've found Cannondales quite comfortable and I just purchased a pair of those Performance Forte Traverse II shoes for $30 (link: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=16310) - they're excellent and very comfortable too.

If you have big feet, you may also find platform/clipless type pedals (like the Crank Bros Mallet or Time Z) more comfortable as well.
    What do you think about the Shimano M 058 shoe at Performance? I checked it out at a LBS, nice solid base, yet pretty comfy looking (did not have my size to try on). If the Forte's you buoght are comfy, what about the Forte Ascent MTB shoes Performance has? I know you dont prefer them, but have you heard good things about Forte shoes in order to purchase the Traverse II or was it a $$ thing? I too am looking for a low $$ shoe. Already spent $480 this spring!

Thanks for the response!
    -Dave

Feb 2004

Shimano shoes, etc.

I haven't had good luck with Shimano shoes - the pair I owned (don't remember the model) had the sole delaminate after 3 rides and the stitching was coming undone in several spots - returned for a refund. I've heard good things about the Forte shoes in general. It's a safe buy, as the return policy is golden at Performance - just return if you're not happy for a full refund.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Diadora, Specialized, Sidi Mega
    I just got a pair of Diadora Gekos size 50eur. They definately run quite a bit wider than my pair of non-mega Sidi Dominator 4s (also size 50eur).

The Geckos are priced very competatively. I haven't had them on the trail but they were comfortable enough in spin class. I like the fit of the Sidi's better. But then that fit is well paid for. Neither would be fun for extended walking, the least of which would be the Sidis though.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    SIDI makes some great fitting shoes that come in sizes up to 50 and even have a "Mega" line that runs a bit wider in the same size range. It's worth a look. Sidis fit great! cost waaaaayyy too much, walk and grip like Dutch clogs but as long as you're clipped in they are the best. .

I just bought a pair of SIDI dominator's off of ebay for 60 clams!
    I have a wider foot and these are sweet!
    I bought a pair of Nike Cato's too and they were like a little kids shoe on my foot!
    Check ebay though either way!
    Keep the rubber side down!

President, CEO of Earth
    I gots big feet. An I like them specialized shoes. The sports are totally wide, even 2 wide. The comps an th pros is not as wide but not so narrow, eether.

Don't you change shoes for adventure racing? I couldn't imagin trail runnin' or tryin' to swim to shore frum yur upturned kayak in a pair of cyclin shoes.

Chilling out
    I got like 2.5 seasons out of my Cannondale MC900's. Very pleasantly surprised, help up very well, best shoe I've had in a long time. Worth looking at.

banned
    Apr 2004

Try Sidi Dominators. $180 dollars is a lot I know but 3 1/2 years of torture and they still work well.

Tracking up the place
    I m with zilla Diadora geko size uh ... I wear 11 us.. Comfortable... Axo were nice but the geko for the price through Performance is awesome...

Pocket Pool Savant

Good job! I'll second Specialized

I've had good luck with these. I am using the 2001 Comps in yellow/black. I saw a couple pair on ebay for cheep about a week ago. Just look up Specialized in the apparel section of cycling.

I got these off their website 2 years ago for 29.99 (they were originally 100). I also bought a pair of the sport model for 9.99. Great deal. Excellent shoe and a WIDE toe box, but not like E or EE. Just comfortable.

AJ
    [email protected]

Apr 2004

Wide A** Shoes?

Make sure you try the SIDI's on, I have really wide feet, and found that the Mega width just wasn't wide enough (ever try on an Italian XXXL jersey? It is like a US Medium).

The Pearli Izumi vagabonds are nice and wide, as are Specializeds. If you want to put up with inconsistent quality and non-existent customer service, try the Northwaves - the most comfortable shoes I'll never own again.

Jul 2004
    Sidi Dominator Lorica Mega. Great shoe, I wear a 15 D. Expensive though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Lake MX220 Extreme's

I've been wearing Lake MX220 Extreme's for around a year and have been very pleased. Very comfortable, wears nicely and can be picked up on sale for less than $100.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits

Fourth. Specialized are the way to go

I have very wide feet and the Specialized "body geometry" shoes are very comfortable for me. I found them to be of high-quality and pretty reasonably priced as well.