mtbr member

Long Travel 29er for a tall guy - deja vu...

I love MTBR - I have a super specific request for info and there is a current thread with pretty much exactly what I am looking for - 6'6", 36" looking for a slack head/tall stack/steep seat long travel 29er.

So I have added the GG to my list, but the previous thread focused mostly on the GG bike, I am hoping i can add a couple more to the mix and get any impressions y'all have with a couple of alternatives.

Similarly to the OP of the GG thread - mine started with a hard tail - a Knoa Big Honzo. It made me hate what I thought was my dream bike - 2017 Niner RIP RDO - cramped and i feel miles behind the BB...

So my current finalists:

Kona Process 153 - 510r/630s - Alum only, does not come as a frame, i prefer Fox susp - stack is a little low - complete bike has only one spec - most of it would end up on the Niner for sale... 153mm rear

YT Capra - 505r/640s - comes in XXL, Full Carbon, 160 rear - only as complete bike, but spec is high value - bang for the buck is crazy - i worry about the quality

Guerrilla Gravity Smash - 515r/673s - Alum, comes as frame only - the most expensive option, but US made - annoyed they charge for paint - best geo - only 140 rear

If the GG had 160 bike - no post needed - it would be on order. Fit feels like it would be more important than a 1/2 of travel, but I am still torn...

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I have a smash, I't is perfect for me, never reached it's limits, hope to get to know it better in the summer season. Progressive system, if you use a cool you get the most of the 140mm.
    Bird Aeris Am 9 is a really interesting bike and in Europe it is quite a bargain.
    The Geometron concept from Nicolai is also very interesting, they have a new 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Stack and reach are here and this is the most useful single thread for big bikes for big guys:

http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-t...s-1043334.html

Kona are VERY low stack and seem to come up relatively heavy. There is a new Satori coming from them but it also has a low stack.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'5", about 35-36" inseam. I ride Mondraker Crafty RR+

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Unfortunately the Crafty is only made as an e bike now.

mtbr member
    Just a quick update - i pulled the trigger on a GG - i will post a build report once i get the frame....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    welcome to the GG family. Hope you love your bike as much as a lot of us do.

mtbr member
    Woohoo! Absolutely love mine!