Grips grips grips- Mtbr.com
    dollar store reject

Grips grips grips

My hands go NUMB.
    You know the line in the song, "..my hands felt like two balloons..?"

I wish my hands felt that good..

After about 40 minutes, I have to get off the bike and fold my arms across my chest..

I switched to this style of grip on both bikes, which has helped some.. but the issue persists..
    Grips grips grips-0615182205b.jpg
    "..don't go ninja'n nuthin' what don't need ninja'n!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Play with your bar height and try some Lizard Skin DSP foam grips, that helped me with the same issue.

mtbr member
    I use esi chunky grips and it helped a lot. The other think to do is think "light hands, heavy feet" over and over and over.... I have to do it all the time to remember. I have gotten a little lighter, but new bars are also in my future with some rise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have the same problem on occasion. It's worse on my commute which is on the road and a rail trail where I just sit and spin. Seldom a problem when I ride trails and moving around on the bike more.

Couple of suggestions:

If not there already can you get your bars up to saddle level (or higher) with a riser bar or higher stem? Taking weight off your hands might help.

Those are nice grips and very popular with folks who have circulation/nerve issues in their hands. Try altering the position of the grips up or down a bit.

Gloves? Sometimes more padding helps. Sometimes it hurts, especially if your riding position puts too much weight on your hands and the padding puts pressure on nerves and/or blood vessels.

Consider having a bike fitter analyze whether your riding position is contributing to the problem.

Good luck!
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    As was said maybe try to get your bars higher , but also maybe try a few degrees of swept back. It has helped me a lot

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just order a wider, higher rise bar, and a shorter stem because of this thread... Time to see if adjusting my cockpit helps with lighter hands and heavier feet.

I have been contemplating the change for about year and have a trip planed for July, so it's time to try something new.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dollar store reject
    Well, tinkering with the grip angle is easy enough to do.. I took the OEM grips and cow horns off, but I did fiddle with the angle of the cow horns before I did, that seemed to help some..

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A few people have mentioned the fit of the bike. You might have too much weight going through your arms to your hands. If the bars are relatively too low or too far away that will be exacerbating the problem.

dollar store reject
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    A few people have mentioned the fit of the bike. You might have too much weight going through your arms to your hands. If the bars are relatively too low or too far away that will be exacerbating the problem.
    OK.. So I need to make an appt to have BOTH bikes fitted..

dollar store reject
    admin/mod please delete

turtles make me hot
    Try some Jones H Bars. Seriously. They look odd but they feel spectacular. I use em with foam grips. Never been happier.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I switched to ergon grips a while back to help with numbness issues as well. I have found that the grip angle is critical and needed to be much "flatter" than I would have thought. I might actually have them angled slightly back now. Each time I've brought the back edge down, things have seemed to get better.

mtbr member
    I have Casey's Crazy Bars on one. Just bought the surly Moloko bars for another, I already have a set of 800mms with 8 degrees of set back. Thinking I will get rid of stem and riser bars and put the surly sunrise bar on my Krampus. They are 820 mm's with 14.7 deg of pullback. https://surlybikes.com/parts/handleb...rise_handlebar

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Check your saddle angle as well. If its too low it forces more weight onto your hands.

dollar store reject
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonRyder View Post
    Check your saddle angle as well. If its too low it forces more weight onto your hands.
    It's maybe an ever so slight titch nose low (bubble just touches the front line in the window of the level). It's right at the point my junk doesn't go numb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I run mine slightly pointed up, where it doesn't hurt and nothing goes numb. But where it feels like I'm not sliding forward off of it and I don't feel as much weight on my hands. I think this angle tends to be as personal as what saddle you like.

For grips I don't like lock ons. Not enough cushion for me. Oury are never a bad choice, cheap, soft and grippy with or without gloves. I glue mine on so they don't rotate. I just put on a set of the esi foam grips but don't have enough time on them to tell whether they are good or not.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk