Dropper travel length for tall rider??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Dropper travel length for tall rider??

The more I ride my HT xc bike wth a rigid post the more I want to try a dropper post as Im getting more and more into technical trials and with more confidence riding more aggressively.

im 67 with a 39 inseam so I was wondering what taller riders think on the minimum travel necessary to make the investment worth it for a taller rider? The catch is my bike has a 27.2 post diameter so 125mm travel appears to be the longest available made in that seatpost diameter (correct me if Im mistaken).

is 125mm enough travel in your valued opinions to be worth it?...or should I just keep it as is and start saving my pennies and go all in and get a full suspension bike?...which lets be serious, is just a matter of time!

mtbr member
    My 5'7 friend has a 125mm on his Honzo, and wants more. I'm 5'9.5" and won't go less than my 160mm Bikeyoke Revive.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    125mm is a significant drop and will definitely be a noticeable improvement for when you want the seat out of the way.

mtbr member
    The main purpose is getting the seat out of the way. 125mm will do that just fine. Anything more than that is simply preference.

At 6-3 my preference is 150mm and thats whats on my Yeti SB5. But I can hardly tell the difference when I get on my Trek hard tail with a 125mm dropper.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Work gets in the way
    Any amount of drop is better than no drop. My 150 is nice, my seat position would allow 200+. Get that seat lower!

mtbr member
    Well, let's see, can you lower your saddle 5" into the frame? If so, then try doing this and see what difference it makes. To me 125mm/4.75" is quite a lot from the high post position and will make quite the difference in your ability to move about the bike easier. I say go for it, but just be aware that you're a big guy and when you go from a solid post to a dropper with seals etc, that sitting on it when you used to sit on the rigid post, might not have the seals lasting so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Work gets in the way
    ^true maintenance is involved.

I use a tire inner tube with rubber compatible grease to keep mine functioning perfectly and clean.

Dropper travel length for tall rider??-20170918_201940.jpg