Cyclocross/Road/Commuter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cyclocross/Road/Commuter?

I know this isn't really mountain bike related, but I know some of you guys also ride road bikes when you aren't running down the trails. I'm looking for a cheap road/cyclocross commuter. My first choice would be used but they are hard to come by, being a clydesdale and all. I've also looked at the major retailers (trek/giant/specialized) thinking that they would be the cheapest way to go, but the largest they go up to in size is 58 cm, and since my buddy is 5'10 and needs a 56cm, I'm only assuming that I would need a 60 or even a 62. I have yet to be properly fitted. So i'm wondering if any of you fellow clydes would know of any clydeworthy cyclocross/commuter bikes that are to be had on the cheap. Thanks!

M

BIG and Bald
    The Specialized Tricross comes in a 61cm. I have the Sport Triple but the Singlecross (single speed) runs about $800.
    "Don't neever gave up..."

Xpy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm on a Kona Jake the Snake - and it's ACE!

Nearly as fast as a road bike, and waaay quicker than an MTB with slicks, and you have to option of flinging her offroad if you get the chance. Also has rack mounts if you have a really long commute.

I'm 6'2" and I'm on a 60. Possibly a bit long for me, but I'm happy on it.

mtbr member
    Ok after seeing you are on a 60 and at 6'2", I might need a 63-64 size frame. I'm 6'6".

HTFU and Ride
    here is mine next to my 29er

i am 6'3" and ride a 58cm road frame. i would say just try stuff out, go and test ride. i love my sirrus, it is a bit of a frankenbike but it gets the job done from road rides to singletrack to commuting. just did a 60 miler yesterday. rode out to a local trail (25miles) threw down a couple laps and then took the scenic route home when gas is so expensive i cant afford to drive all over to go MTBing. this is a pretty nice alternative.

good luck finding a sweet ride
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Winter is coming.

Making fat cool since '71
    I have a Bianchi Axis in 58. I'm 6'3" with short-ish legs (32 inseam) and a long torso/arms. I've put a bit longer stem on it and wider bars (46, center-center versus the stock 44's) and it's groovy. I run Conti Gatorskins for commuting and Kenda Kwests for 'cross. Axis are great bikes, Jakes are great bikes, and the Fuji Cross bikes are quite nice as well. If you get an aluminum frame and the bike does not come with a carbon seat post...seriously consider one.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm 6'4" and have a 2001 59cm Lemond Poprad. It's been a great bike for gravel roads, pavement, and some light trail riding. Lemonds have long top tubes so you might not need as large a bike as you would in other brands. The only thing in doubt is the future of the Lemond brand. I read a press release that Trek is dropping the brand.

Smokey

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey422
    I'm 6'4" and have a 2001 59cm Lemond Poprad. It's been a great bike for gravel roads, pavement, and some light trail riding. Lemonds have long top tubes so you might not need as large a bike as you would in other brands. The only thing in doubt is the future of the Lemond brand. I read a press release that Trek is dropping the brand.

Smokey
    trek kicked greg to the curb for ripping lance too much and running his mouth in general lol
    Winter is coming.

Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Munin2889
    Ok after seeing you are on a 60 and at 6'2", I might need a 63-64 size frame. I'm 6'6".
    I'm 198 cm = 6'7" and I have a 62 cm Kona Jake. It works fine for me!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help guys, I did a couple of test rides and at one shop they had a Raliegh one-way for 600. It was a 57cm and felt a little cramped, not really up and down, even with the seat up a little higher because I'm used to mountain bikes, but more so fore and aft. I think the 59 cm would be a nice fit. Also I really liked how you could flip-flop the back wheel and turn it from a single speed into a fixed gear. Anyone else have any experience with this bike?

HTFU and Ride
    looks like a pretty nice bike. that would work perfect for a commuter and you could throw some knobbies on it for CX.
    Winter is coming.

Members who have read this thread: 0