bike snobs....- Mtbr.com

Thread: bike snobs....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

bike snobs....

i ran into a few guys today and asked a few quest about about bikes and trails i guess they thought they were to good for me.....cuz they just ignored whatever i had to say . then the guy at the bike shop said they think there [email protected]!t dont stink and dont mind there bad attitudes. ive noticed alot of guys are like this just wonering if u have ever had this happen to u ........BIKE SNOBS!!!!!!! maybe my size threw them off not sure usually im pretty intimidating to people with all the tattoos and all sheesh i dont know....

Mojo MadDuc
    fatguy1,

There are always a few bike snobs around, fortunately, there are not many in the mountain bike community. Try you LBS or check and see if there is a local MTB club that does a weekly ride. It's a great way to meet people and find a group to ride with and keep you motivated and riding! Most clubs have weekly or monthly rides led by experienced riders. Our local club has a beginner and an intermediate ride every weekend, so you can pick and choose depending pon the pace you want to ride. You LBS should be able to help you out, next thing you know yoiu'll be blowing the bike Snob's!

MadDuc916
    MadDuc916
    2015 Hammerhead Thumper
    2011 Voodoo Canzo 29'er

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

hmmmm

blowing bike snobs????????

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've run into that kinda stuff a few times, I guess because I dont dress in spandex or shave my legs they dont take me to be a serious rider.
    To be honest I like to ride but it's not a like a religous thing, it's recreational for me, but I'm gonna get a lot more into it when warm weather gets here.
    Maybe I could try something other than a camo ball cap and hikin boots, then they would take me serious,,,probably not.

Mojo MadDuc
    Okay, Okay mind was going faster than the fingers, that should have been Blowing BY Bike Snobs! Where the hell is spell check and grammar correction when you need it! Sorry about that, bit yes my typing stinks!

MadDuc916
    MadDuc916
    2015 Hammerhead Thumper
    2011 Voodoo Canzo 29'er

mtbr member
    Every sport/hobby has them, mountain biking is no different except I think for the most part there are less. I have ran in to a few but the vast majority are kind and go above and beyond to help others in the sport, especially the ones new to it.

I AM I AM
    I think that's just plain rude, it's like locals ignoring some random tourist who is asking for directions!
    It shouldn't matter who you are, what bike you ride or what you look like they should at least have the common decency to give you some sort of answer even if it was an "We don't know" or even a general brush off!

Unfortunately some people are just like that regardless weather they ride bikes or not. They might have judged you on your appearance, and I admit you can't deny that first impressions are formed as such, but you never know what life experiences that person has or even thir standing in society, after all even people you've known for a while can surprize you.

Luckily there are still a lot of decent people out there. Maybe these guys were just bike snobs but maybe they were just snobs in general, the sort who wouldn't help a person out when they most needed it but would expect everyone to help them out should even a minor problem arise.
    Well there you go now I'm pre-judging the snobs in some way, and that's wrong too.

Anyhow I guess that's the beauty of forums, people can only judge you by what you write.

mtbr member
    To the OP. Do you shower regularly? Do you have many tattoos? Did this occur in a foreign country? Was these riders making shapes and gestures with their hand? Do you speak English? Do you have a large growth on the side of your head? Could be many factors that lead to this.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    From the OP, it looks like fatguy1 does have a lot of tattoos. Sounds like me in fact. Big guy ( I am 300 pounds with a full sleeve plus other random tattoos) with lots of ink and yeah, sometimes I un-nerve folks who would rather judge a book by the cover rather than take the time to turn a few pages. I have found that roadies tend to have more snobs than mountain bikers but overall both groups are mostly friendly people. I try hard to be friendly, especially to anyone new so not to push them away from the sport.
    Last edited by Nubster; 02-21-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Making fat cool since '71
    There's plenty of odd-looking tattooed freaks in our sport; you gotta have more than a sleeve to stand out...more of our crew has them than doesn't. Just sounds like they were dicks...don't give them any more time/energy. Ride and enjoy.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

snobs

heah i can go with that they were just dicks!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    There's plenty of odd-looking tattooed freaks in our sport; you gotta have more than a sleeve to stand out...more of our crew has them than doesn't. Just sounds like they were dicks...don't give them any more time/energy. Ride and enjoy.

Brock...
    Not where I live. I am the only person I have ever seen with a sleeve much less a hint of ink. Not that they aren't around here but I haven't seen them yet whether on the trail or in the shops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

tats

i think ill get a new tattoo tomarrow all this talk about them make me want to go under the needle and get some seriouse ink

mtbr member
    haha...I need to get my sleeve finished. After that I plan on starting the other one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDuc916
    fatguy1,

There are always a few bike snobs around, fortunately, there are not many in the mountain bike community.

MadDuc916

I hate to say this, but I really have to disagree with you on that statement Maby there is more roadies that are snobs, but trust me, I have run into my share of MTN bike snobs, seems more come out of the closet so to speak every day
    I have been riding bikes on and off for 35 years, so i can honestly say I know alot about the sport, what components rock, and which ones suck. But unless some one asks, or wants a opinion, I never tear another rider or there bike down. My goal is to get more people out there on bikes, not intimidate those who are newbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

infestation

Quote Originally Posted by jjbod1
    I hate to say this, but I really have to disagree with you on that statement Maby there is more roadies that are snobs, but trust me, I have run into my share of MTN bike snobs, seems more come out of the closet so to speak every day
    I have been riding bikes on and off for 35 years, so i can honestly say I know alot about the sport, what components rock, and which ones suck. But unless some one asks, or wants a opinion, I never tear another rider or there bike down. My goal is to get more people out there on bikes, not intimidate those who are newbs.
    ur rite it dont make any diference they are all over the sport i havent been on a bike as long as u but they are everywhere.......i think they just need to relax a little its not like we are gonna steel some great bike secret they have thats what these foums are for . lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah I have seen this too.I used to be a roadie,discovered mountain biking,and the rest is history.I'm a friendly guy,and usually wave to other cyclists.The mountain bike culture just seems to be a-lot more friendly,and less arrogant based on my experience.Just recently,I tried to strike up a chat with a few cement weenies,and felt like I was talking to beings from another planet.Maybe it's the fact that I just had on camo shorts,and was covered in mud,blood,etc.Or it could be my 6"6' 265 lb. frame,and tattoos?It doesn't bother me,but it is a observation,based on experience.Some of these dudes need to lighten up a bit in my opinion.Mountain biking is like a religion to me,yet I enjoy it,and never look down on other cyclists.To me the sport is about the people that ride,not the bikes,or debating on the best equipment,and the latest tech s#$t.My rig is about 5 years old,and cost 2 grand.I'm still just as much of a hard core biker,as any guy out there with a 6 grand + rig,and never felt the need to conform to anybody else's standard of what a serious cyclist is.
    Last edited by BigSwede; 02-22-2010 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    A long time ago a read a book about Floyd Landis. In it, there is a story about one of the 1st times Floyd Landis showed up at a group road ride. As it goes, he was in gym shorts, had socks to his knees, and was on an old bike with a big ring as big as a hubcap. So, he walks his bike through the herd of riders waiting to start, and ends up near the front.
    Some of the guys start snickering and pointing, and one of them says to Landis, "Nice socks!", and everyone laughs.
    So, the ride begins and they say Floyd took off like he had a motor. he literally left everyone and was out of site in a matter of seconds. The group is hammering away, though, and they see him in the distance, straddling his bike and just waiting.
    When they finally reach Floyd, he asks "How do you like my socks now?" and takes off, leaving them once again.

I'm sure I got the story all wrong, but that's the gist of it. In sports like cycling, it never pays to let your ego get to big because you never know who you might be spouting off to.

turtles make me hot
    After riding the same bike for over 15 years, I bought myself what I consider a really nice bike. I'm not full of myself and when people say nice bike, I say thank you. If someone has a question, I answer it as honestly as possible and if someone wants to try it in the parking lot, I'll usually let them if their shoes are compatible and I have time.
    Every once in a while, I run into a guy that starts rattling off how this or that is better. I usually just ignore him.

I also see the exact same thing in my other hobby, hotrods. EVERYONE has something better than you at home. Okay, Smartguy, go get it. It's always never complete.
    I like turtles

Grinder
    them little tiny bike guys get scared. cant blame em
    a fart might knock em down. that and they have been riding on the light weight 200 dollar manhood stealing saddle for years. thats why they have high voices and wear spandex everywhere. oh and if your small (why did you click on this forum?)
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

local trails rider
    Oh, I've ridden with a number of skinny guys who use spandex and light saddles. There's the retired gentleman, the fighter pilot, the doctor, the fireman, a variety of engineers and students, and I don't know what.

None has ever mentioned my being a bit sturdier than necessary. A few have been curious about my bikes that are somewhat different from what they prefer to ride.

I know that most can go further and faster than me, so I pick which rides I join. Many have better trail skills than me. I don't feel a need to prove otherwise (I may feel a need to clear a trail section that has been a bit challenging before).

Many of them have road bikes too but few race, or take racing seriously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I don't know but I sure see a lot of these snobs at the lbs a lot hackin on people but there is a few that are pretty cool......

Underskilled
    It is common in the UK, especialy from bike shops.

I cycle past Cycleworks on the way to work, but yeesh the attitude there is awful, so I cycle an hour ou of my way to goto Bike Outlet as they are nice and know what they are doing.

Stiff bikes in Leeds is the worst, there are threads online posted just to complain aboutthem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    It is common in the UK, especialy from bike shops.

I cycle past Cycleworks on the way to work, but yeesh the attitude there is awful, so I cycle an hour ou of my way to goto Bike Outlet as they are nice and know what they are doing.

Stiff bikes in Leeds is the worst, there are threads online posted just to complain aboutthem.
    Yeah Bro I Live in Bronx NY and i got to to New york city to do anything with my bike, in the bronx people look at you BIG and say you ride , you dont look like a rider to me , and crap like that, IN the City everyone is nice like they like to work there , they like to help people, bronx sucks staff suck, sorry if you live in the bronx only www.metrobicycles.com Stores are awesome but some other store pure Crap,

Members who have read this thread: 0