Bibs or shorts for Clydesdales?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Bibs or shorts for Clydesdales?

I need some new riding shorts, and I was thinking about trying a bib-style short. I have some friends who swear by them, but they are not of Clydesdale dimensions. I am (6'3", 235 (small frame, donut gut). Has anyone tried bibs? I do have problems with the top of my shorts rolling over and sliding down, and it seems like bibs might work better. Any opinions, and if so, any brand recommendations? A big thanks. hhn

mtbr member

Try them

Once you go bibs you wo't go back to shorts. I have Castelli and they are ver comfy but the stitching is only so so.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Slower than you...
    No question - go for the bibs. I just got my first set (DeFeet) after years of resisting. A little pricey at $120, but I will never buy another pair of regular shorts.

tdh

Jun 2003

Bibs.

I stopped using my shorts, and wound up with multiple sets of bibs. THe only drawback is re-training yourself to take a leak. Bib knickers are even worse (but I love them also)

MTB Rider

DIY bibs ...

Quote Originally Posted by y2kdad99
    I need some new riding shorts, and I was thinking about trying a bib-style short. I have some friends who swear by them, but they are not of Clydesdale dimensions. I am (6'3", 235 (small frame, donut gut). Has anyone tried bibs? I do have problems with the top of my shorts rolling over and sliding down, and it seems like bibs might work better. Any opinions, and if so, any brand recommendations? A big thanks. hhn
    Bibs are more expensive and they are a pain in the ass if you have to take a $||i+ in the woods. I approximate using normal lycra and dress suspenders.

Hooking and unhooking for breaks is easy without having to undress your entire upper half. And that comes in handy in the winter.

BTW, I really like riding shorts to "ride up" since it's important that the chamois fits tight and doesn't slide around. It's also nice if your overly large belly isn't hanging over the shorts or your ass crack hanging out the back ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I switched to bibs about a year ago, and there's no going back.

Check out the Performance bib shorts -- the Ultras are on par with the quality of Pearli, Castelli, etc, and sometimes on a great sale.

Probably drunk right now

Another vote for bibs...

Another vote for bibs here. They work very well for all types of riding. And they don't slide down exposing your inner plumber.

Ken

Sep 2005
    Bibs 110%!! After wearing bibs, I haven't worn shorts again. I have 4 pairs of bibs in my rotation. Money well spent. Just make sure they work for taking a whiz... mine are cut low in the front so its no problem to stretch them down to do business.

Mark

mtbr member

There's

something about loitering around the trailhead post ride, brew in hand and wearing nothing but bibs and flip flops.

Very liberating.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    http://www.longscycle.com/webstore/s...?categoryid=30

longscycle web site bibs for 24.98 !!!! great deals name brands ....

Bibs are the best !!

rbtm member
    Jan 2004

No to bibs!

Just kidding, bibs are great. I like Voler. They're not real inexpensive but you get very good quality for the price.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    in addition to being way more comfortable, bibs hold in the ponch (I'm only half-joking).

Voler are my fav. They are about the best cost/quality ratio I've found. Any cheaper and you get into performace-quality (the ones that feel like the pad was sewn in with fishing line), any more expensive just seems like a waste - I can't tell a difference and I'd sure hate to crash and tear a $150 bib. I've found the pads on voler, PI and bellweather to be pretty similar.

Feb 2005
    I also vote for bibs, the one thing clydes and roadies have in common

Jun 2004

yes to bibs

I say yes to bibs, I have had good luck with performance bibs. they are cheap, U.S.A. made, and seem to last well.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Performance

has become my source for bibs. As my old regular shorts and old bibs have been dying out, I've been replacing them with XXL bibs from Performance.com. Ofcourse, I did the mandatory fitting at the store.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Members who have read this thread: 0