mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Best Flat Pedals for Large Feet, Heavy Rider?

I'm 215 lbs. and wear a size 13. Looking for a good set of flats to replace my Kona Wah Wahs. I like the Wah Wahs, but want a bigger platform.

I was going to get the Wah Wah II PPs, but I've seen way too many anecdotes about them braking within a few months, even from non-Clydes.

Has anyone had good luck with other plastic pedals? I like the weight, price, and that they slide off rocks, but not sure if they're durable enough for big riders.

If not plastic, have you had good experience with any large platform metal pedals? Right now, the aluminum Wah Wah IIs and Chromag Scarabs are top of my list...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    I'm 215 lbs. and wear a size 13. Looking for a good set of flats to replace my Kona Wah Wahs. I like the Wah Wahs, but want a bigger platform.

I was going to get the Wah Wah II PPs, but I've seen way too many anecdotes about them braking within a few months, even from non-Clydes.

Has anyone had good luck with other plastic pedals? I like the weight, price, and that they slide off rocks, but not sure if they're durable enough for big riders.

If not plastic, have you had good experience with any large platform metal pedals? Right now, the aluminum Wah Wah IIs and Chromag Scarabs are top of my list...
    I'm a fully satisfied Wah Wah 2 composite user. I personally have never heard about way way 2 breaking. I had one hard fall going downhill that bent the actual pedal axle, and the pedal itself is perfectly fine. Replaced the axle, and good as new. I also have my share of pedal strike here in rocky new england. Pedal is still strong after almost a year of constant use. When the pedal breaks (who knows if it ever happens at this rate), i'll get another one.

I'm also size 13 shoes, and wah wah 2 is the best bang for the your buck at $50. If you're not crazy about composite, then get the wah wah 2 aluminum version. same pedal, different materials.

I tried RF chester, but it feels way too small for my size 13 shoes.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the input! At $50 I am inclined to just buy a pair and hope for the best. Good to hear at least one other big dude who hasn't broken them in a year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    At 215 you're one of the lighter riders around here, and pedals are one of the least mentioned on the extensive list of 'stuff we break around these parts'. If it's not being broken and posted about in this forum, you're probably OK.

mtbr member
    with big feet check how far out they are from the crank arms. I had to get extenders for mine so my heel would not hit the crank arm. I ride clipless however and I have really big feet. 16-17.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Harriers. Check amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Check these out. Pedaling Innovations Catalyst.
    https://pedalinginnovations.com

I'm planning to give them a try on the bike I'm shopping for now. Have heard good things from others that have them.

mtbr member
    I wear size 13 and run Oneup composite pedals. They're big enough and I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Check these out. Pedaling Innovations Catalyst.
    https://pedalinginnovations.com

I'm planning to give them a try on the bike I'm shopping for now. Have heard good things from others that have them.
    I found these highly recommended too, but theyíre not that wide at 95mm compared to a few other options and itís width that the units with big hooves are after

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm a size 13 and have been using Pedaling Innovations Catalyst. they are expensive, but feel nice. Have been using them for 3 years now. I have chesters on my road/gravel bike. I'm 270, and they hold up well on that bike. But they don't seem to see the abuse a MTB sees

mtbr member
    Im 270, and I have the crankbrothers stamp pedals- wide version. Great for big feet, big dudes

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    with big feet check how far out they are from the crank arms. I had to get extenders for mine so my heel would not hit the crank arm. I ride clipless however and I have really big feet. 16-17.
    What shoes do you have? Iím 16-17 as well and have a heck of a time finding clipless shoes (and flat pedal shoes.)

mtbr member
    Sidi pro carbon mega. I forgot the model. I got them cheap from a LBS that had them on the shelf new but no box. Size 53.

mtbr member
    Deity TMACs.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt View Post
    Deity TMACs.
    My Harriers are slightly bigger but the Dietys are works of art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro