Air or Coil Sprung- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

Air or Coil Sprung

i was after opinions concerning rear shocks. I was wondering would a 265# cylde be too much for an air shock? meaning would i be better off on a coil sprung rear shock?

Becuase i would rather prefer an air shock as there is a load more adjustability (just pump it up to match your weight) but i am not sure if they are "durable" enough?

Making fat cool since '71
    The famous "depends" answer applies here. It depends on the bike's leverage ratio a lot (mostly perhaps). It depends on the type of spring curve of the linkage some as well.

Low leverage ratio bikes tend to be better matches for clydes riding air shocks (ratios near 2:1, perhaps as high as 2.3:1). High volum shocks are getting the best reviews for clydes (RP23, Roco). The Fox DHX was billed as an option for clydes since it could be ran as high as 300psi, but they have proven to be a poor choice for many clydes on many bikes, particularly gravity oriented bikes which have higher leverage ratios and/or progressive/rising rates.

It just depends. Which frame/shock combo were you considering?

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Jan 2008
    Hmm i was thinking of going for a bike with an air shock but after looking they all seem to cost more than a similar coil sprung one.

Also after reading up a bit on the net, the coil seems to be better (unless you are worried about weight). Further more air shocks require more maintenance for seals etc and they arnt as plush as their coil sprung counterparts.

Tough choice here as i like the adjustability of the air shock but low leverage generally means low(er) travel and the bike im after was kinda gravity orientated :\

Uphill? What's that
    If you are riding gravity parks and hitting any kind of jumps you are better off with a coil shock. Fox makes some decent rear coil shocks that aren't to badly priced. If you call fox direct and tell them what type of bike you are riding they can set you up with the right coil to go with the shock. Having the right coil makes a huge difference, you dont want to get a weak coil and turn up the tension because the shock wont be as smooth on the small bumps.

Jan 2008
    Thanks for the info guys - definatley going with coil now

Members who have read this thread: 0