WTB good kids 24" bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

WTB good kids 24" bike

No longer needed.
    Last edited by TXrocks; 12-02-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Bought stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Well... you didn't really give any idea of what your price range is, but I was in the same position at the beginning of the season. I couldn't talk my wife into springing for a Trailcraft Pine Ridge but I wanted something better than what I was seeing from the big bike brands. While looking at the REI website, I saw the Early Rider Limited Trail 24" hardtail - disk brakes, 11 speed drivetrain, air fork up front. Basically, it was everything I wanted. I had my member dividend and a $200 gift card for REI, so it ended up being a reasonable purchase for a really nice bike. The only thing that had to be upgraded were the pedals - we bought a pair of Wellgo's from ebay to replace the plastic ones that came on the bike so that my daughter's feet would stop slipping off of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm hoping to spend about $500.

He is on a GT Stomper 20" right now. I thought about just getting a Stomper Ace 24". But if I can find something with a bit better components it would be nice. He is turning 8, I think it will be slightly big until the next growth spurt. I'm thinking he will get 3-4 years on this bike so if I can find one with a 1x9 drive train, disc brakes, maybe a little better fork (not much in that size range) it may be nice. I don't mind spending a bit more as he should be on it for a while.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just looked up those trail crafts. I wasn't expecting that lol! Looks like $1800 Shimano Deore, front suspension. Maybe I could push a grand..... Even there page says 3-4 years on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Spawn Yama jamma 24" looks promising at $1300 also. Looks like I'm gonna try and be around or a little over $1000. I'm kinda thinking about something that will be 2.5-2.6" ish tire friendly. We have rocks lots and lots of rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a Rocky Mtn Reaper hanging in my garage... Older Saint Brakes, 10sp X0 Drivetrain, original wheels and fork were never used (built it up custom originally). I also have a lot of of other fancy bits I could add... Geometry allows for a real fork (have that too, just not a 24” wheel for it).

If you’re interested PM me, sub $500 will not be a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm thinking really hard about pulling the trigger on a new spawn yamajamma. It will be nice to move to a 26" wheel when he is ready.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    Looking for a good 24" bike for my kiddo. Looking for a disc brake bike with front suspension.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    North Texas SW of Fort Worth. I'm rearranging current bikes between the 3 of us. I'm going to try to find a 26" yamajamma, or trail craft kids frame only. Looks like I'll just have to buy a frame, fork, and cranks. I got enough parts to fill in everything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Bought a frame and cranks from trail craft,

No longer needed....

mtbr member
    In the same boat. Looking for a good mt bike for my soon to be 11yr old. Wanted to stay below $1,000 but those Spawn YamaJamas look pretty good! Anyone actually have one that can chime in on their quality?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My boy is barely tall enough and long legged enough to fit on the 26" bikes. It was a toss up between the Spawn and the special build Trailcraft. I bought the Trailcraft 26 Timber special built
    Build that is on the winter special. At #22 it's going to be hard to beat. Spawn wouldn't get back to me on the weight of the 26 Yamajamma or other questions I had., with fork alone being #2 heavier I think it's pushing #26+ lbs. I was going to just buy the frame, fork, cranks, and put my XT drivetrain, wheels, brakes from my 26" but I might save a couple hundred at the most and be heavier than the built bike.