WTB: DT Swiss Ratchet EXP XD freehub- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52

    WTB: DT Swiss Ratchet EXP XD freehub

    Please let me know if you have an extra Ratchet EXP XD Freehub that you can part with, ideally $50 or so.

    Current DT Swiss wheels come with both Microspline and XD, so am hoping that someone has the Ratchet EXP XD. Ideally from a 180 EXP 36, but from a 240 EXP 36 is fine also.

    I just switched to a SRAM cassette. I am happy to trade my 180 Ratchet EXP 36 Microspline freehub if you would prefer.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    2
    Hi, franklin has an extra ratchet Exp xd freehub parting out for a cheaper price you can contact him [email protected]. Goodluck,

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas717 View Post
    Hi, franklin has an extra ratchet Exp xd freehub parting out for a cheaper price you can contact him [email protected]. Goodluck,
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15,155
    The freehubs from the old 240s and 350 hubs work just fine.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The freehubs from the old 240s and 350 hubs work just fine.
    Are you sure about this? According to an email from DT customer service: "Redesigned Hub Shell DT redesigned the 240 hub shell to fit the new EXP system. 240 EXP is not compatible with 240s hub shells."

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoop View Post
    Are you sure about this? According to an email from DT customer service: "Redesigned Hub Shell DT redesigned the 240 hub shell to fit the new EXP system. 240 EXP is not compatible with 240s hub shells."
    "hub shell" =/= freehub body

    I can't weigh in on whether the freehub bodies are interchangeable, although I would be inclined to trust mikesee. But, I interpret the quote that you posted to mean that the old 240s hub shell is not compatible with the exp internals, and vice versa. It doesn't say anything about the freehub bodies.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tom tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    450
    I have a new DT Swiss EXP XD freehub body for 80 shipped.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    "hub shell" =/= freehub body

    I can't weigh in on whether the freehub bodies are interchangeable, although I would be inclined to trust mikesee. But, I interpret the quote that you posted to mean that the old 240s hub shell is not compatible with the exp internals, and vice versa. It doesn't say anything about the freehub bodies.
    To be clear, I am ignorant -- so am also inclined to trust mikesee!

    I didn't do a good job of cut-and-pasting the DT response. The full response from DT was: "Redesigned Hub Shell DT redesigned the 240 hub shell to fit the new EXP system. 240 EXP is not compatible with 240s hub shells. You will need a new freehub SRAM XD 12 spd 12x142/148mm part#HWYCBL00S5373S." I've asked DT for clarification and will revert back.

    Thanks all for the suggestions.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoop View Post
    To be clear, I am ignorant -- so am also inclined to trust mikesee!

    I didn't do a good job of cut-and-pasting the DT response. The full response from DT was: "Redesigned Hub Shell DT redesigned the 240 hub shell to fit the new EXP system. 240 EXP is not compatible with 240s hub shells. You will need a new freehub SRAM XD 12 spd 12x142/148mm part#HWYCBL00S5373S." I've asked DT for clarification and will revert back.

    Thanks all for the suggestions.
    I think I have a definitive answer from DT:

    The EXP free hub and traditional 240s/350 free hubs are not interchangeable. There is a difference were the spring base is positioned.

    You can take the red washer from an EXP free hub and use it behind the spring in a conventional 240s hub to correct the spring base spacing, and it should work, but please note that this is not an approved configuration.

    Again, thanks for all the help!

  10. #10
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15,155
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoop View Post
    I think I have a definitive answer from DT:

    The EXP free hub and traditional 240s/350 free hubs are not interchangeable. There is a difference were the spring base is positioned.

    You can take the red washer from an EXP free hub and use it behind the spring in a conventional 240s hub to correct the spring base spacing, and it should work, but please note that this is not an approved configuration.

    Again, thanks for all the help!


    translation: "it works, but we can't officially tell you that it works".

  11. #11
    Thingamejigger
    Reputation: Flying_Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    translation: "it works, but we can't officially tell you that it works".
    What advantages does the new freehub bring, if any?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    What advantages does the new freehub bring, if any?
    In practice, probably none. In theory:

    - Less weight (the 240 EXP rear is ~25g lighter than the same 240s).
    - Easier maintenance due to fewer parts (though debatable, because the inboard star ratchet is now threaded and requires a tool to extract should you need to).
    - Faster and better engagement - one moving ratchet vs. two is theoretically a smidge faster and more accurate, but I am not a good enough rider to tell the difference
    - Stiffer axle - the inboard bearings are moved out ward, increasing stiffness, but I am not a good enough rider to tell

    See this: https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wh...exp-technology

    Would I personally pay extra to have EXP? No, but the used wheelset I bought had EXP hubs, so now I am the proud owner.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    translation: "it works, but we can't officially tell you that it works".
    Has anybody actually tried this, what were the results?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoop View Post
    In practice, probably none. In theory:

    - Less weight (the 240 EXP rear is ~25g lighter than the same 240s).
    - Easier maintenance due to fewer parts (though debatable, because the inboard star ratchet is now threaded and requires a tool to extract should you need to).
    - Faster and better engagement - one moving ratchet vs. two is theoretically a smidge faster and more accurate, but I am not a good enough rider to tell the difference
    - Stiffer axle - the inboard bearings are moved out ward, increasing stiffness, but I am not a good enough rider to tell

    See this: https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wh...exp-technology

    Would I personally pay extra to have EXP? No, but the used wheelset I bought had EXP hubs, so now I am the proud owner.
    The engagement of the new hubs is not "faster" or "better"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    The engagement of the new hubs is not "faster" or "better"
    I agree that is likely the case. But according to DT Swiss's own marketing on EXP:

    MORE PRECISION
    The previous systems required two conical springs which ensured the correct angle between the two ratchets. The fixed connection between the inner ratchet and the hub shell of the RATCHET EXP ensures that the inner ratchet is always aligned at the correct angle. Allowing the use of a single cylindrical spring resulting in a faster full engagement and therefore an increase in reliability.

    At best, it's going to be imperceptible. Don't shoot the messenger!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoop View Post
    I agree that is likely the case. But according to DT Swiss's own marketing on EXP:

    MORE PRECISION
    The previous systems required two conical springs which ensured the correct angle between the two ratchets. The fixed connection between the inner ratchet and the hub shell of the RATCHET EXP ensures that the inner ratchet is always aligned at the correct angle. Allowing the use of a single cylindrical spring resulting in a faster full engagement and therefore an increase in reliability.

    At best, it's going to be imperceptible. Don't shoot the messenger!
    I'm not shooting any messengers, just discussing. In this context, dt is using the term "faster engagement" to mean the time it takes for the teeth of the ratchet mechanism to snap together and fully engage after freewheeling, not in the way that we typically say "faster engagement" to mean the number of engagement points per revolution. Making that faster could theoretically improve reliability by minimizing instances of the ratchet not fully engaging and then skipping, although I haven't had that problem with the old hubs. I see what they're saying about the perfect alignment resulting from having one fixed ratchet, which could minimize friction in the splined interface between the ratchets and the drive rings. Also, remember that while this new system means that only one of the ratchets has to move, it now has to move twice as far.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    I'm not shooting any messengers, just discussing. In this context, dt is using the term "faster engagement" to mean the time it takes for the teeth of the ratchet mechanism to snap together and fully engage after freewheeling, not in the way that we typically say "faster engagement" to mean the number of engagement points per revolution. Making that faster could theoretically improve reliability by minimizing instances of the ratchet not fully engaging and then skipping, although I haven't had that problem with the old hubs. I see what they're saying about the perfect alignment resulting from having one fixed ratchet, which could minimize friction in the splined interface between the ratchets and the drive rings. Also, remember that while this new system means that only one of the ratchets has to move, it now has to move twice as far.
    Yes - we are in absolute agreement. I don't see any advantage that one will notice while riding EXP vs. non-EXP. And yes, there is not more engagement than before, the POE is unchanged from before and either 36T or 54T depending on your specific star ratchets.

    Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. DT Swiss freehub body (ratchet version) differences
    By ka81ua in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-11-2020, 01:05 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 06:16 AM
  3. DT star ratchet EXP
    By urmb in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-2020, 01:10 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM
  5. DT Swiss XD freehub for 142x12 - rattling noise?
    By burndtjamb in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2015, 07:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.