How much should I pay for this Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

How much should I pay for this Bike?

Folks, I came across an interesting opportunity to get a new (to me) bike, but I have no idea how much I should be paying for it.

It's a 2016 Trek Top Fuel EX 9.9 - Been ridden by current owner who wants to get something different.

I know what the bike is worth new, but I have no idea how much I should be paying for a used one.

Here's some pics of it. Any pointers on how much I should be shooting for to come to an agreement would be great. Also, are there any questions I need to be asking? This would be my first full suspension bike.

Thank you and advance!

***EDIT*** : is this even a 2016 model bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have no idea what this bike is worth. Check out the classifieds on MTBR and others, but this is definitely not a 2016 (I would say 2010).

Cycologist
    Looking at the photos on BikePedia and bicycle blue book, it does look like a 2010. I'd say it is not a good sign if the seller is lying about the age of the bike, that is a big difference and the bike would have a whole lot more wear.

I usually go onto eBay and do an advanced search of the bike, clicking the "Sold Listings" box to see what they have been selling for.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Run away

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Run away
    What makes you say that? Run away at any price?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    I have no idea what this bike is worth. Check out the classifieds on MTBR and others, but this is definitely not a 2016 (I would say 2010).
    I have to ask what year exactly the bike is, but I assumed it was 2016... i did see a couple 2016/2017 ads for same bike and they do look different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Looking at the photos on BikePedia and bicycle blue book, it does look like a 2010. I'd say it is not a good sign if the seller is lying about the age of the bike, that is a big difference and the bike would have a whole lot more wear.

I usually go onto eBay and do an advanced search of the bike, clicking the "Sold Listings" box to see what they have been selling for.
    I sort of know the seller (friend of a friend) so I will ask about details. On ebay, this is a 1800/2200 bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Run away
    It isn't a 2016 9.9. It's 2010. If the seller thinks it is, then they are either dishonest or really out of touch. Old carbon, I wouldn't touch it. Where did the seller get this bike? Be interested in hearing why the seller doesn't know what it is or why he thinks or represents it is a 2016. I wouldn't pay more than 800.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andres_G View Post
    I sort of know the seller (friend of a friend) so I will ask about details. On ebay, this is a 1800/2200 bike.

I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near that for that bike. Keep in mind you can buy the low end build on some SUPER nice bikes for 3k at their current model year. I'd guestimate a fair price for that bike to be right around $800
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near that for that bike. Keep in mind you can buy the low end build on some SUPER nice bikes for 3k at their current model year. I'd guestimate a fair price for that bike to be right around $800
    Thanks! Super Useful response.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    It isn't a 2016 9.9. It's 2010. If the seller thinks it is, then they are either dishonest or really out of touch. Old carbon, I wouldn't touch it. Where did the seller get this bike? Be interested in hearing why the seller doesn't know what it is or why he thinks or represents it is a 2016. I wouldn't pay more than 800.
    Thanks for the response and for clarifying the model year. I assumed it was a 2016 but I really can't say he told me that word by word.

In any case, what's the issue with "old carbon"? Is it a matter of technological improvement, or that the CF just gets old/brittle/susceptible to breaking?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It is definitely a 2010, and it looks to have been used a fair amount (not a garage queen). The issues I would be looking out for are that the fork and rear shock may be about to shart the bed, and those could be expensive to repair or replace. Avid Elixir brakes are ALWAYS suspect IMHO. It was undoubtedly a very nice bike when new, but there is a LOT of risk buying a carbon MTB that is 7 years old, especially since a warranty only applies to the original owner. And, since it has 26" wheels, your resale value (should you decide to sell it) is not likely to be good since there is not much demand for bikes with 26" wheels.

If you buy it for $2k, and the carbon frame cracks, you'll be holding the bag with a bunch of parts (26" wheels, triple crankset, Avid brakes, 135QR rear axle[?]) that are not in demand going forward and some could have issues being used on a newer replacement frame.

It is nice stuff, but this is a risky investment IMHO and that is why I would hesitate to pay much more than $1,000 for it if I bought it at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Crystal clear. I think the points are more than valid, so unless I can get this for a true bargain, I will let it go and continue looking for something that meets my not immediate needs.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Crystal clear. I think the points are more than valid, so unless I can get this for a true bargain, I will let it go and continue looking for something that meets my not immediate needs.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

There are some crazy low prices out there for 2016 and 2015 models. I would get a new one with warranty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Truthfully, that bike looks hardly used to me.
    White seats do NOT stay nice and white like that when ridden. Rings appear to be stock and not very worn, bottom of the cranks aren't all dinged up, little to no wear on the side of the crankarms, fork lowers look almost pristine, pedals are barely scratched, it's got a friggin blinky and a computer on the bars...I'm willing to be that things has only seen very limited and easy riding. My bikes typically look a LOT worse than that after maybe a dozen rides, and I take it pretty easy these days. Looks like a killer deal for around a grand or even a bit more IMHO (if a first hand look doesn't uncover any surprises of course). You won't get anything even close performance-wise on the new market without spending 3 to 4 times that, easy.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Offer them a ridiculously low amount...

If they really want to sell it, you'll get a bargain ^^

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Bike is 2012 according to the owner. I get to ride it tomorrow.

Question: if there's no identification on it regarding he frame size, how would I be able to tell it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Question: if there's no identification on it regarding he frame size, how would I be able to tell it?

Sizing Charts | Trek Bikes

The measurement is the height of the seat tube from the center of the bb to seat clamp.

Cycologist

Bike isn't a 2012 according to Trek:

2012 Fuel EX 9.9 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

Bike is a 2010 according to Trek:

2010 Fuel EX 9.9 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

It doesn't show that brace on the seat tube mast but I'm assuming that is just on larger sizes?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Definitely a 2010.
    Print the pics from the Trek website and show him as a bargaining chip.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.