Yet another hitch rack thread...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Yet another hitch rack thread...

So I realize there are tons of these threads out there... I have read through a bunch... but I'll be quite honest I'm too lazy to read through 100 pages of threads for a really specific question... so I'm hoping someone won't mind answering me

I just recently traded in my mustang for a Chevy Equinox, and got a hitch installed on it yesterday (specifically for a hitch rack). I've pretty much decided on the Xport tray style from Performance Bike... but I'm curious about how much drag this adds to my car if I get the locking pin and keep it on all the time - will I notice a difference in my mpg's?

Thanks!

ballbuster

Empty, none

Quote Originally Posted by CRToon83 View Post
    So I realize there are tons of these threads out there... I have read through a bunch... but I'll be quite honest I'm too lazy to read through 100 pages of threads for a really specific question... so I'm hoping someone won't mind answering me

I just recently traded in my mustang for a Chevy Equinox, and got a hitch installed on it yesterday (specifically for a hitch rack). I've pretty much decided on the Xport tray style from Performance Bike... but I'm curious about how much drag this adds to my car if I get the locking pin and keep it on all the time - will I notice a difference in my mpg's?

Thanks!
    it's behind the truck out of the airstream. When I had one on my GTi hatchback, I had the same gas mileage loaded, as unloaded, as completely off and left in the garage.

Now that I have an A4 sedan, I noticed that I lost a couple mpg's when I had bikes on it. the top half of the bikes were sitting up in the breeze above the rear trunk line.

I don't think that will be a concern with an Equinox.

What might be a concern is that I got pulled over for 'obstructed license plate' by a dheeushbhag cop who was bored one day. He said my bike rack blocked my plate, which is BS. $50 fix it ticket fine, and I had to get another county sheriff to sign off on my ticket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pimpbot...where do you live so I can be sure to never drive through. That's pure BS!
    2015 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Team

ballbuster

Yeah, srsly

Quote Originally Posted by cycling51 View Post
    Pimpbot...where do you live so I can be sure to never drive through. That's pure BS!
    That was in Lafayette California.

I live in Oakland, which has the opposite problem Cops don't do anything about anything unless you kill somebody... or pitch a tent in a public space for free speech.

turtles make me hot
    I got pulled over in NC a couple of weeks ago for speeding and was completely shocked the trooper didn't also cite me for an obstructed plate since I had two bikes on my T2.
    I drive with my rack on my truck all the time and never get hassled about it on Long Island.
    I like turtles