Yakima Stretch kit, 240SX, and a Cannondale- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Yakima Stretch kit, 240SX, and a Cannondale

My C'Dale weighs around 30 lbs.

I've got a 89 240SX Coupe.

Largest distance I can keep my towers apart is like 20 inches apart.

I could get a stretch kit (although I'm rocking SST towers), but I'd like to avoid spending extra money, plus then doesn't the rack only attach with one set of clips?

Do I need the stretch kit or should I just limit one bike on the rack at a time?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a 240 too, but i use the trunk rack instead.... I say spend the extra money if you think it would make it more stable.... then again the roof of a 240 is pretty small so I would recommend a trunk rack instead.

mtbr member
    i had a 92 hb and didn't run the stretch kit and had no problems. not sure if the roof line is different on the two, but i had 2 trays on the car when i had it.

mtbr member
    call Yakima and see what they say 1800ANYROAD or fit your car on the website.

mtbr member
    I have a 97 240sx also, thinking of getting a roof bike rack but I have Visors, not sure if I should just get a trunk one, I have JDM Kouki spoiler though

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Stretch kit is unnecessary. I have a 2 door 1997 civic.

The distance between the clips, measured from the front edge of the front clip, to the rear edge of the back clip is just over 18 inches.

Measured from the lock (center) of each clip, its only 15".

Ive run 4 bikes at a time, 2 bikes, and a cargo bag, bales of hay, lumber, and pretty much anything else that wont fit in the trunk.

Ive never had any problem with them being close together. It is still extremely stable. just get some good trays.

Of course Yakima or rack dealer will reccomend it, they want to sell you another $120 part. dont fall for it. besides, the stretch kits look awful.

Members who have read this thread: 0