Yakima straps not long enough- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Yakima straps not long enough

I am trying to haul my Prophet on a Yakima hitch rack, the only problem is the straps (the kind with teeth that go into the ratcheting mechanism) aren't long enough. I can barely grab 1 notch with the ratcheting thingy, not enough for piece of mind.

What have you guys done to solve something like this? I went on Yakima's website but they didn't show any longer pieces of that ratcheting material that could be bought.

mtbr member

Straps not reaching

I had the same problem with a DraftMaster Hitch rack. I bought some polypropelene strapping (dose'nt stretch when wet) at Ace Hardware along with a buckle and brass grommet. Had an upholsterer stitch the buckle on then put the grommet on the strap. Used a carrige bolt and nut to affix it to the under side of the V-channel. Now no matter how fat the tire I can secure it to the rack.
    Hope this helps
    Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What rack? The racheting strap that goes over the rim/tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No, its a hitch rack where the frame goes on these two mounts. Being a FS bike, it doesn't have a straight cross tube, but will mount inside the frame. (if that makes sense) the problem is, that part of the frame is very fat and won't allow the stock ratcheting teeth strap to lock correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I emailed Yakima yesterday but haven't heard from them yet.

R.I.P. DogFriend

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I tried a Thule brand adaptor like that at the lbs and wasn't impressed. It didn't hold solid on the bike (slid in and out with no way to lock it) and seemed like it might damage the bike over time......

Thats when the guy at the LBS showed me how to mount the bike without the adaptor, and it works good, just need a longer strap to secure one of the 2 mounts.

Members who have read this thread: 0