Yakima for Specialized 2010- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Yakima for Specialized 2010

I have a Yakima roof top rack which I use for my road bikes. What would be the best solution for a Disc fork to carry on the same roof top? Adaptor? New Tray?? Bike is a Specialized Stumpy HT 2010.
    Help!!!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I prefer the Thule Bigmouth tray. No wheel removal (same basic mechanism as the Insta-Gator) and it works fine with the Yak round cross bars. I had this same setup (Yak bars, Thule trays) on my last roof rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I use a HighRoller for my 09 RH 29-er

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I prefer the Thule Bigmouth tray. No wheel removal (same basic mechanism as the Insta-Gator) and it works fine with the Yak round cross bars. I had this same setup (Yak bars, Thule trays) on my last roof rack.
    you are referring to the thule sidearm....it has a ratcheting bar that hooks over the wheel in front of the fork. the thule bigmouth grabs the frame just above the cranks.

you can fork mount or go upright carrier for your bike.
    i think the yakima viper is a great rack...it was their premium fork mount, and was then discontinued a couple of years ago. now that the steelhead is going away, it has been reintroduced, and i think it's a great value for a fork mount bike rack that is good for road or mountain bikes with/without disc brakes.

the yakima highroller is a good rack, if you're looking to use an upright bike rack

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The thule sidearm is a little finicky with 29-er tires. One of my friends has the sidearm is has a little more trouble working the locking arm on the Giant XTC1 29-er. Has no problems with his Full suspension bike (26" tire).

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I stand corrected. I was, in fact, talking about the sidearm. Sorry.

I ran it with both 26 and 29 wheels and fat tires; never had any issues with clearance.

cougarbait
    I just ordered a yakima king cobra. same as concept as highroller, but cheaper
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Members who have read this thread: 0