Yakima roof rack fit for '04 WRX Wagon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Yakima roof rack fit for '04 WRX Wagon

Anybody got a Yakima roof rack on their '04 Subaru WRX wagon? Is there an alternative to cutting down the tray so it does not make contact with the spoiler on the rear hatch when the hatch is open? It looks like the Yakima Viper is about 1" too long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan 9
    Anybody got a Yakima roof rack on their '04 Subaru WRX wagon? Is there an alternative to cutting down the tray so it does not make contact with the spoiler on the rear hatch when the hatch is open? It looks like the Yakima Viper is about 1" too long.
    Have you tried reversing the direction of the bike trays so the fork is facing the rear of your car? I have a '06 wrx wagon and have my trays facing the rear of the car so I can open the hatch without any problems.

mtbr member
    I have an '05 and was facing my trays backwards, but that looks dumb. Now I mount the trays outside the towers facing forwards. No hitting the wing of the hatch anymore.
    :wq

mtbr member
    You can see the trays in the below pic. FYI, with the trays mounted backwards, if you forget to strap down the rear wheel, it will be an expensive repair if that wing gets ripped out. Trust me on that one...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    You can see the trays in the below pic. FYI, with the trays mounted backwards, if you forget to strap down the rear wheel, it will be an expensive repair if that wing gets ripped out. Trust me on that one...

Thanks guys. These are good ideas. Nachomc - What length cross bars do you use?

mtbr member
    I think they're 44" bars, but could be less. I got them from the dealer when I bought the car. I tried looking on the subaru site, and on yakima but couldn't find the width :\

Muskoka
    That's what I did. Removed the end cap. cut off just enough tray so that the spoiler clears, then reinstalled the end caps. An altenative is to mount the trays outside of the rails but I didn't like that look - looks like an old bed frame on the roof! When our bikes are loaded, the spoiler still contacts the back tires with tailgate up so does not quite open all the way. But close. Not a big deal for me anyway as it only happens when the bikes are on. So I just load the bikes on last or unload them first. Or bend over a little more 8^) Be sure to get the Yakima fairing as well, or the wind noise from the bars will drive you nuts. Here are a few pics, I also have the Vipers....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I have an '05 and was facing my trays backwards, but that looks dumb. Now I mount the trays outside the towers facing forwards.
    Everyone has their own opinion on what looks good and what looks dumb. The aesthetics police didn't write me a ticket yet so I'll keep my trays facing backwards. Honestly, if we're so concerned about what other people think, why not just stay home so no one will be able to approve/disapprove of the way you set up your bike rack(s) on the car?

To the OP, Yakima recommends 48" bars for the wagon so if you want to put your trays on the outside, you might want to go with something longer or else you might not have enough room.

mtbr member
    Black - How much of the tray did you cut off? I want to cut as little as possible to get the clearance.

Muskoka
    Black - How much of the tray did you cut off? I want to cut as little as possible to get the clearance.
    I just went out and measured one of the trays. With the tape measure butted up to the skewer ( in other words from the back edge of the skewer hole) it is 42.25"- with the end cap removed. When I open my hatch, the spoiler is about 1/8" away from the tray end caps. I have the Lowrider rail mounts, and they are as far forward and aft as possible.

Auto-x addict
    I use Sportworks Bob Ratchets (now Thule Sidearms), it's like they were made for this car!

When I first got the car I cut looked at mounting my Vipers backwards but they would've stuck out the front so much that I wouldn't have been happy with the looks. Then I tried cutting down a tray, which was fine until a bike was on it, then the spoiler would hit the tire, and because whether it hits or not is dependent on wheelbase length you never knew when it would hit and when it wouldn't. I could see my spoiler getting realy screwed up sooner or later.

Got the Sportworks racks and they're awesome. They position the whole rack just far enough forward that I've got all the clearance I need, they're stable, and very quick to load and unload.

Stray Bullet
    Mount the trays backwards.

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Mount the trays backwards.

[IM G]https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/Nagaredama/P6290124.jpg[/IMG]

[IM G]https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/Nagaredama/DSCN0958001.jpg[/IMG]
    WTPost#2.

Members who have read this thread: 0