Yakima Roof carrier security question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Yakima Roof carrier security question

Hello, just purchased a used Q-towers and a pair of High roller bike carriers. Question is :
    The Q-Tower (The base rack) had the locks which prevent the base rack to be stolen, this I got. However on the Bike Carriers (High Roller here), there are NO lock device to prevent potential thief to take off the bike carriers off the base rack and thus take the bikes and the carriers off. Is there any Yakima solution?
    Appreciate your help. I had attached the pix with the red circled area for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yakima Roof carrier security question-ds258264-sm.jpg  

Yakima Roof carrier security question-ds258265-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    see the cables in the Highrollers? you can put a lock in those to lock the bike into the rack. When there's no bike on you can loop the cable around the crossbar and the rack is locked!

code: mtbr2011
    this is the lock that can be used for the rear attachment of the high roller to your crossbars.
    the cable lock that resides in the high roller that loops around your frame requires sks lock cores....you would need 4 more, since the above product is only the housing.
    if you contact our shop, we could make sure that the new locks are keyed alike with your locks on the towers.

Drunken fool
    I don't use the supplied nuts that are imbeeded in the plastic handle. I use double regular hex nuts that I also locktight. I figure that will keep most honest people honest and deter the casual thief.
    Another issue I see is even the locking system with cylinders Yak uses is just cheap plastic. Just yank up on it and it will break and and allow the thief to own your rack. They (yakima) used to use steel parts, but in the never ending bid to cut costs switched to plastic bits. I use a cable to lock my bikes to the rack as well due to the worthless locking cylinders and plastic tabs they went to.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for all your input. I was just wondering how to make it visible more "secure": to lure the average punkhead off my turf. I guess I'll be using the soft coil locks to wrap from the High Roller thru the base rack for added security. I just don't wanna keep going to Burger King for lunch after morning ride...(The whole purpose for picking up MTN biking was that I can loose my double spare tyres).
    Thanks for all your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0