Yakima Rack & Roll trailer - 2008 Impreza- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Yakima Rack & Roll trailer - 2008 Impreza

Looking to see if anyone has experience with the Yakima rack and roll trailer. Reviews I have read from kayak/canoe folks seem mostly positive, but would like to hear from mtb folks if anyone has one.

More specifically, if anyone has one with an Impreza. Kind of concerned that the hitch height required (22" from top of ball to ground) might be an issue with a standard Impreza (2008 vintage).

I'm ultimately looking to carry 3 or 4 bikes plus a cargo box.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

Your Best Friend
    You should be just fine. You can always get a hitch ball that has some rise to it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Those are both really nice trailers, but two problems I see- they are outrageously expensive for what you get, and they have very limited load capacity. For a few hundred bucks, you can buy a small Harbor Freight utility trailer and bolt some cross bars on. That way, if you need to haul heavy stuff ever (like lumber) it will handle it without issue. BTW, my wife have an 09 Impreza Sport, and it was rated to tow something like 1500 lbs, so you car should do fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I will second the idea of a utility trailer. My friend has one that on borrow fairly regularly to haul lumber and other building supplies. But I have also hauled 2 bikes and 2 campus on it for a weekend away. He built a 4 canoe rack, so I put 2 on one side and used fork mounts for bikes on the other. Oh, and this is behind my cross trek which, though it sits about 2"higher than the Impreza, is basically the same car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm mostly concerned about weight once I get over the hitch height issue. Yakima's is significantly lighter (and yes, significantly less weight capacity) compared to the malone or a standard utilitly trailer. I wouldn't hesitate to send my other half down a narrow dirt road with a loaded yakima that she can unhitch and move around on her own if she got into a tight spot. Can't say that about a utility trailer or the malone. And, by my standards, her impreza is woefully underpowered. I don't want to come anywhere near the suggested 1,500 lb towing capacity as we drive it from coast to coast in a month or so.

I also don't need a utility trailer. I have a 1 ton diesel pickup (and an enclosed car trailer) for no kidding hauling. The yakima would fold up nicely and go inside the car hauler when not in use and she could go pick it up any time without needing my help. (But my stuff is all out on the east coast now and we are moving her out from the west coast...I'm flying out and we are driving east together). If she wanted to go paddle boarding or kayking while I'm not around...trailer would be totally fine as she wouldn't be required to heft heavy objects onto the roof of the car. So, the yakima, as expensive as it is...might be worth the price for the conveneince it offers in my particular case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Check the spec carefully- from what I see, the Yakima is 161 pounds shipping weight, and the Harbor Freight 870 lb capacity trailer is 130 pounds. True, it does not fold up as compact, so that would be the downside to it. Also, over $2,000 for the Rack and Roll 78. Are they kidding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Check the spec carefully- from what I see, the Yakima is 161 pounds shipping weight, and the Harbor Freight 870 lb capacity trailer is 130 pounds. True, it does not fold up as compact, so that would be the downside to it. Also, over $2,000 for the Rack and Roll 78. Are they kidding?
    You can purchase Malone crossbar kit for $240. Just bolt them to the frame.

Spare Parts | Malone Auto Racks
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift