Yakima king cobras fairing and hatch problems- Mtbr.com
    CT3
    Hoodwink

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Yakima king cobras fairing and hatch problems

I just acquired a pair of king cobras for $180 off of craigslist and I'm having problems with the big red knob that locks the wheel in place not going underneath the the rack bc the space between the fairing and the load bar is small. Is there a way around this? Or is there a different knob I could use

Also the bike trays are too long and now my trunk doesn't open all the way on my scion tc like it does when I have my raptor on it bc I can adjust the length. What's the best way to cut the trays on the cobras or do they sell different length ones? And would this affect anything if I cut them?
    Last edited by CT3; 08-29-2010 at 08:14 PM.

member since '97
    You acquitted a pair of king cobras? I didn't realize that there was a court for reptiles. What were the snakes charged with?

Congratulations on being named to the bench, your honour!!

Sorry, I'm mocking spellcheck, not you

There are ways around most any problem. Your description would benefit from a picture or two. There are alternative mounting brackets available from Yakima. Without seeing the actual set up it's hard to advise. Sounds like roof rack is low profile. Good for mileage, but can cause headaches

That said. you can cut the trays. A hacksaw is the last resort. I would remove the end cap and use a cut-off wheel. Cut the least amount possible, obviously.
    Life is too short to race through it. When life is a blur, you'll miss the magic.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy97
    You acquitted a pair of king cobras? I didn't realize that there was a court for reptiles. What were the snakes charged with?

Congratulations on being named to the bench, your honour!!

Sorry, I'm mocking spellcheck, not you

There are ways around most any problem. Your description would benefit from a picture or two. There are alternative mounting brackets available from Yakima. Without seeing the actual set up it's hard to advise. Sounds like roof rack is low profile. Good for mileage, but can cause headaches

That said. you can cut the trays. A hacksaw is the last resort. I would remove the end cap and use a cut-off wheel. Cut the least amount possible, obviously.
    Yeah my bad that was my dumb iPhones fault. I will get pics up soon i took it off so I can open my trunk

code: mtbr2011
    you may have to reverse the bikes. that's a known problem.
    you won't harm the tray if you cut it...you may not get your end cap to snap on (no big deal), but you don't want to leave yourself too little tray for the whole bike.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    here are the pics

the length of my raptor, allows me to open the trunk behind the cobra without about of an inch or so of clearance

the two bikes the racks are needed for, i removed the red knobby to get the the bolt past the fairing

maybe i should try and sell these and go for the newer front loader
    if i cut the trays i will prolly cut the front so the end cap will still work
    Last edited by CT3; 08-29-2010 at 08:24 PM.

using a highroller or a frontloader is still going to require about 52" from the center of the front crossbar so that it won't interfere with the back hatch. this is because the front mounting point of the bike rack sits right over the front crossbar.
    the thule sidearm, has 16" of tray extending over the front crossbar, using only 39" - 40" of tray behind the center of the front crossbar.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    any ideas how to get the red knob underneath the fairing? i dont understand why they would have designed it that way

not really a good way, except to move it to one of the points on the crossbar where the fairing is least obtrusive.
    i don't understand why they designed it that way either...probably one of the reasons its now discontinued.

Members who have read this thread: 0