Yakima Hookup Discontinuned...whats replacing it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Yakima Hookup Discontinuned...whats replacing it

I noticed that yakima is discontinuing their hookup hitch bike rack. Does anyone have any details on whats replacing it? I actually own a hookup and like the rack a lot. I'm a bit surprised that they are replacing it already. Anyone on here have the low down?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure but I think it wil be good. The Hookup was not selling anywhere near the way the Thule T2 was/is. If it's significantly better, it will be great and will probably (hopefully)spur the T2 and Cycle On replacements.

No Knuckle Crew
    Jan 2007
    Looks like it will be replaced by the Holdup.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain...dy-and-holdup/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The spring-loaded knob is my favorite thing about the T2 so this is great. The only thing I hope for is that the wheeltrays are slightly adjustable side-to-side. They also lightened it up and curved the arms. They paid attention to the right features.

Looks like a great rack as long as the bikes can be adjusted.

No Knuckle Crew
    Jan 2007
    I just spoke to Yakima and they stated it will not be available until the end of February or beginning of March.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not optimistic about it because like the Saris Cycle On, it seems that even this new one from Yakima will not have adjustable trays or crossbars. So if two bikes clash while on (set-to-bar/levers mainly) there is little you can do to adjust the bikes except lower seats and rotate levers.

Thule's clamp system is really solid and allows crossbar adjustment so I'm not sure why Yakima chose to go with fixes screws/welds. Well, I'll wait till the big test and demo video they will do in Feb.

mtbr member
    see this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=361110

looks nice. makes me wish i had waited on the T2.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I spoke to a Yakima rep. He did not think that the crossbars could be adjusted like they can on the Thule. The T2's crossbars can be moved away from each other along the main bar and they can be moved from side to side so the bikes don't touch.

The Yakima rep said he didn't think this one did all that but they would only know for sure in February sometime. If the bars don't adjust, I'd still rather own the T2. Missed opportunity, in my opinion but we will know for sure in 2-3 months. Keep that in mind though. In my case, I had to move the bars away from each other and slide them sideways as well to make sure the bikes didn't clash. I may not be able to do that with this one.

With my buddy's Saris, we moved the trays a bit higher (the only adjustment) and have to make sure my bike goes on the inner tray and the wheel ratchet arm still touches his rear derailleur at the base. He is now looking at selling the Saris Cycle On Pro and buying the T2 next season. I sent him this link and the crossbar-adjustability question was his main one. Price was the second.

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0