Yakima Highroller or Equivalent in Europe?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206

    Yakima Highroller or Equivalent in Europe?

    Hi All,

    I've got an Audi Q5 which I use to haul a couple of burly bikes to the mountains (I live near the Swiss alps, so biking here is fun!).

    Anyway Iíve got the Audi factory roof racks and bike transport racks, but the plastic molded trays in almost too small for the tires (have 2.5" and have to literally squeeze them in).

    I've been doing some research on some racks to replace them, something which could easily fit a DH bike or two, and came across the Yakima Highroller.

    Looks very nice, however Iím told that they can't be shipped to Europe.

    So I was wondering, if there's anything equivalent I can buy in Europe?
    Criteria is really something solid which will accommodate wide tires.

    Thanks in advance for any recommendations?

    Phil.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    Sounds like the (Mont Blanc) Barracuda trays didn't work

    there is aways Thule 594XT Sidearm

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Nice idea, but I don't think that's available in Europe either......

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    Hitch rack? You can get the Euro-specific hitch racks that mount directly onto the ball of the hitch arm. Some include wiring connections for license plate and additional lighting (ie the Audi accessory ones)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    For roof?

    Thule*-*Thule ProRide 591

    says fits tires up to 2.5" wide...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Hitch rack? You can get the Euro-specific hitch racks that mount directly onto the ball of the hitch arm. Some include wiring connections for license plate and additional lighting (ie the Audi accessory ones)
    That would be my preference, but Audi wanted to charge my silly money for a tow bar, so I didn't get one.....

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Sounds like the (Mont Blanc) Barracuda trays didn't work

    there is aways Thule 594XT Sidearm
    I've always wondered why Thule doesn't offer the Sidearm for Europe. Is it because of the possible high speed limits on European highways?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey View Post
    That would be my preference, but Audi wanted to charge my silly money for a tow bar, so I didn't get one.....
    Either way... you'll be spending money.

    The witter or westfalia towbars actually replace the rear bumper rebar... so it does cost a little money in the aftermarket, not including the cost of electronics.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Yep, for the roof.

    Looks like in the meantime, I've found someone who will ship me a high roller.
    Only issue is that from the website, i can't figure out if it will fit my Audi factory bars straight out of the box, or if I need one of their universal mounts.....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey View Post
    Yep, for the roof.

    Looks like in the meantime, I've found someone who will ship me a high roller.
    Only issue is that from the website, i can't figure out if it will fit my Audi factory bars straight out of the box, or if I need one of their universal mounts.....
    You will need the adapters, it stated in the Yakima features tab for the Highroller:
    Fits car rack systems with round or square crossbars
    Fits factory aerobars with the use of Universal Mighty Mounts sold separately.

    It is the less expensive FrontLoader that is:
    Universal fit to car roof racks with round, square or factory crossbars right out of the box

    I've read reviews and viewed a bunch of online videos and between the two Yakima racks and Thule SideArm, I just ordered the 1up USA Roof Tray rack.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    633
    people have drilled holes into the T-slot and directly bolt the high roller to the cross bars.

    the easy part is the front mounting, since you can use T-slot bolts. the rear becomes an issue, because you have to drill or jury-rig Thule's parts for the sidearm

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Been procrastinating for a long time over which rack to get....

    Almost pulled the trigger with Jenson on a Highroller (they're doing 20% discount at the moment) but came across a great deal on a Thule ProRide 591 that I couldn't pass up.

    Advantages include; fits my factory bars out of the box, locks included, accepts tyres up to 2.5" and 20kg load
    Plus it was a third less than the High Roller before adding the mighty mounts, lock cores and housing (so 50% all told).

    Should be hear in a few days, so i'll let you know how I get on.

    Thanks again for all your advice!

    Phil.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    I've always wondered why Thule doesn't offer the Sidearm for Europe. Is it because of the possible high speed limits on European highways?
    Perhaps? There might be some government regulations on that sort of thing (like the IIHS in the US?). It's interesting that nothing actually "bolts" to the bike, just a strap and essentially a compression on the tire, maybe that's why.

    Regardless, it's really interesting that a nicely made item from a european company is available in the US but not Europe. Seems like usually it's the other way around and euro manufacturers can't or won't export to the US.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by philhumphrey View Post
    Yep, for the roof.

    Looks like in the meantime, I've found someone who will ship me a high roller.
    Only issue is that from the website, i can't figure out if it will fit my Audi factory bars straight out of the box, or if I need one of their universal mounts.....
    Any chance you could post the name of the supplier willing to ship to Europe? I'm having a nightmare finding a rack for the back of my CRV. Turns out Yakima are the only ones that do one. Cue American websites won't take card details as there isn't a place to change country etc!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: philhumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by kavchristy View Post
    Any chance you could post the name of the supplier willing to ship to Europe? I'm having a nightmare finding a rack for the back of my CRV. Turns out Yakima are the only ones that do one. Cue American websites won't take card details as there isn't a place to change country etc!
    Sure, it's Jensonusa who were doing 20% off Yakima's recently. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.