Yakima Frontloaders + Chevy Tahoe factory rack = leaning bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Yakima Frontloaders + Chevy Tahoe factory rack = leaning bikes

I recently installed two frontloaders on my factory installed Tahoe crossbars. The installation was a snap and the racks seem really nice. The only potential problem I have is that the factory crossbars are slightly bowed instead of straight. They aren't bent, this is just the way they are made. Therefore, this causes the bikes to slightly lean outward. Is this a problem? Does anyone else have this issue with their roof racks?

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBrewhaha
    I recently installed two frontloaders on my factory installed Tahoe crossbars. The installation was a snap and the racks seem really nice. The only potential problem I have is that the factory crossbars are slightly bowed instead of straight. They aren't bent, this is just the way they are made. Therefore, this causes the bikes to slightly lean outward. Is this a problem? Does anyone else have this issue with their roof racks?
    I used to have two Yakima Lockjaws on the factory crossbars of my 1998 Subaru Outback Sport. I currently have two Yakima High Rollers on the same vehicle. My crossbars are slightly bowed as well, and my bikes also lean out ever so slightly. However, I have never experienced any problems with either rack system because of it. That includes numerous trips on the interstate at 75mph. Of course I am not a professional rack installer, so I'll be interested to hear what other posters might have to say...
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

code: mtbr2011
    a little bit of lean isn't as big of a deal as questioning the integrity of your factory installed crossbars....
    if you're not comfortable with the system, then consider a yakima/thule roof rack system..

mtbr member
    I have the same issue on my 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback but with a Yakima Forklift instead. It looks a bit dumb that it leans slightly, but I have had no problems with it so far. Taking corners at excessive speeds and going a bit too far above freeway speed limits proves the Yakima is doing its job well.

Members who have read this thread: 0