Yakima Four Bike Rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Yakima Four Bike Rack?

I drive a 2015 Jeep JKU - and I have been looking around for a bike rack for my jeep so I can transport our bikes around. So I have 3 regular sized mountain bikes (two 29ers and 1 27.5 - and one kid bike) Now would the Yakima be a good model or should I look for something else. We are just getting into Moutain Bike Riding so looking for the best opportunity for us.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Figure out how heavy that is and how you can store it. It's a big thing. I'm presuming here that you are looking for a rack the holds the bike by the wheels and not hanging from the top tube. Thule has a similar rack. The top of the line is the 1UpUSA that is modular, is easiest to store, mount on the car, and least hassle of all but it is (surprise) the most expensive.

Most of these cannot be easily disassembled for storage and are heavy (even up to 80lbs) and can be difficult to get into the receiver yourself.

I would stay away from any of the racks that depend on clamping or holding the tubes of the bike. They often hang funny, the bikes conflict with each other, and it's highly likely you will do damage to them with either bike to bike contact (pedals, handlebars etc...) or by grit on the frame causing abrasions on the paint.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    What about this model - anyone use this one in the past? Nashbar Shadow 4-Bike Hitch Rack

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    What about this model?

Nashbar Shadow 4-Bike Hitch Rack

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 JKU and I bought a Thule Vertex Swing Away. I highly recommend it for JK owners!

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...31xt-_-1686826

It's solidly built, holds 4 bikes easily and it swings to the right so I can get into the tailgate without removing the bikes. The regular Vertex is about $70 cheaper, but it folds down and would not give me enough clearance to open the tailgate without removing the bikes. That was a deal breaker for me. At $399 it was a big nut, but a handful of times each year Thule drops their prices by 20% and that's when I bought mine.

By the way, I'm taking it for granted that you have a 2" receiver hitch that come with the Jeep. This rack will only fit 2" receivers.

mtbr member
    I mostly agree with John. I would absolutely ONLY buy a rack that holds the bike by it's wheels like the Yakima 4-Timer or Thule T2. Myself and at least (4) of my friends all own the T2 since we take 800+ mile (each way) road trips with our bikes. You don't want to have a cheap rack when you have $35K worth of bikes strapped on for a long haul.

The rack that you included a link to is a not bad. It's a copy of the rack sold by Performance and Sportrack. I've had (2) of them in the past but the threaded bolts were CONSTANTLY stripping which means that the arms holding the tires were rattling loose. My neighbor still has the (2) bike model from Performance and it is a better design that the earlier models I owned. It's a great rack for the price. It all depends on how nice your bikes are and how far you expect to travel because they don't compare in quality to Thule or Yakima.