Yakima blows- Mtbr.com

Thread: Yakima blows

Rat Fink

Yakima blows

Last April Yakima had a nationwide 20% off sale. I had been considering getting a Hookup hitch rack for some time and figured it would be a good time to buy it. My LBS didn't have any in stock and said they could order in and that it would arrive in about two weeks.

Well, every two weeks my LBS call Yakima and got the same "you'll have it in two weeks" story. 7 weeks after I placed the order, I call Yakima and was told they'd be in their warehouse June 18. Now it's then end of the week and I called my LBS to see if it arrived yet. They told me they called Yakima the previous day and that they couldn't get an answer when it would ship so I called them again.

Today they tell me they, 'might' be in by the end of August but no assurances. Comments by both the customer service person and her manager led me to believe they are prioritizing shipments to big retailers and screwing the small shops though I don't know that to be a fact.

Because I thought I I could expect a reasonable delivery from Yakima, I passed up several other opportunities to buy competitive products from other manufacturers.

If you don't have product for sale, DON'T FREAKING PRETEND TO SELL IT!
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i disagree; yakima does not blow. when i got my latest yakima product, many stores did not have it do its newness--to include REI. Some specialty shops on the net such as Austin Canoe and Kayak did. It pays to look at ALL the on-line dealers. I think many shops dont get the latest and greatest; they'd rather try and keep you waiting or push an older model they still have in stock. it's the stores that blow.

mtbr member
    My local shop says they don't make anything for my 03' durango. I find that kinda hard to believe but it tis what it tis..

I have a yakima rack with "a" plates from my explorer just collecting dust..

Masher
    Do you see what he did there Mojo? He called you stupid. Not directly, of course, but he is saying that you can't tell the difference between the store impeding your purchase and the distributer with a sort of tacked on sincerity. That drives me crazy. I have a thread where I made a complaint and people did the same thing to me.

And you describe, in detail, a specific situation and he responds with this general theory about the relationship between the distributor, the retailer and the customer.

My point is simply that I don't think you are stupid and I believe your story. I wasn't a fan of Yakima to begin with but I just feel like I need to stick my two cents in to these posters who feel the need to reaarange blame without having gone through what you went through.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Yeah, it pretty much does. Though not nearly as much as Omak.

(not so happy with my newest full bike upright roof mount yak rack; should/coulda/woulda bought a sportworks/thule. meh. next time i know better. seriously thinking i'll swap it out.)
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    You get the high roller or the raptor? What are your dislikes with the product?

I got the high roller when it was extremely difficult to find---had the same experience as the OP basically, but found it locally in stock through the on line presence of a kayak shop of all places.

I'll admit the high roller seems flimsier to the touch than the king cobra it replaced BUT it seems to work well and is a LOT easier to use---the cobra took a bite out of my finger because the front wheel hoop simply gripped on to the front tire too snugly and was a bear to wrestle with when trying to off load the bike.

so I like the high roller--have the offending man mauling king cobra still on the other side of the subie and a normal tray mount, fork style in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Yeah, it pretty much does. Though not nearly as much as Omak.

(not so happy with my newest full bike upright roof mount yak rack; should/coulda/woulda bought a sportworks/thule. meh. next time i know better. seriously thinking i'll swap it out.)

Derailleurless
    I'm curious if your LBS price minus 20% was competitive with some of the online rack dealers.

I grabbed a pair of Highrollers when they first hit the warehouses, and with the free shipping these online/mail order these places all offer, plus an online coupon floating around the web, I was easily 20% below the $160 suggested retail Yakima called for. (That's not even counting the 8% sales tax I kept in my pocket.)

It may be worth it to check inventory / price at Rack Attack, ORS Racks Direct, Rack 'n Roll, and all the other online outfits, cancel your LBS order, and tell 'em to stuff it. The $70 you're saving with the coupon is a good chunk of change, but probably not worth the aggravation you're going through.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    If you don't have product for sale, DON'T FREAKING PRETEND TO SELL IT!
    Alot of companys seem to do that unfortunately. Like Nate said theres other shops out there and theres other similar products too. I wouldve gave them 3-4 weels then cancelled the order. I hate companys like that, if they cant get their act together on such orders then they should just say it'll be X amount of time instead of giving you the run around.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    Do you see what he did there Mojo? He called you stupid. Not directly, of course, but he is saying that you can't tell the difference between the store impeding your purchase and the distributer with a sort of tacked on sincerity. That drives me crazy. I have a thread where I made a complaint and people did the same thing to me.

And you describe, in detail, a specific situation and he responds with this general theory about the relationship between the distributor, the retailer and the customer.

My point is simply that I don't think you are stupid and I believe your story. I wasn't a fan of Yakima to begin with but I just feel like I need to stick my two cents in to these posters who feel the need to reaarange blame without having gone through what you went through.
    No, he pointed out that there are other options that can be investigated. In this day and age it is pretty easy to do.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMiller
    My local shop says they don't make anything for my 03' durango. I find that kinda hard to believe but it tis what it tis..

I have a yakima rack with "a" plates from my explorer just collecting dust..
    According to their website, they don't. Thule does, though.

Put your stuff on eBay and get yourself some new Thule goodness!

Members who have read this thread: 0